Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge not holding charge

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

All of a sudden (approx two weeks ago) my Surge stopped to "hold" charge. Battery drains so fast I have to charge every second day.

Until than one battery charge would typically last 4-5 days - charge during weekend and repeat thursday/ friday depending of GPS use.

Typically I leave it to charge for a few hours (1-3hours) until the lightning bolt AND my dashboard states it's fully charged.

I am using it 24/7 as a activity and sleep tracker exept every second day I track a Free run approx 45 min duration.

I charged it yesterday till it was fully charged. Took it on a 'free run' this morning for approx 45 min. Now after 24 hours it is back to medium charge. 

2016-02-01 16.22.50.png

I am aware that it usually will last for an extra day after you receive the empty battery email, but I don't want to rely on that so I typically charge when the email arrives.

Have reset it several times for no avail. 

This bavavior started all of a sudden as I said. I don't think we have got any FW or app updates for the last 2-3 weeks either

Any one else experiencing their Surge (or Fitbit) not holding charge? 

Best Answer
144 REPLIES 144

Every 4-5 dats, that awesome, I have to charge mine twice a day otherwise it runs flat. I was really happy with my surge but now i'm thinking about switching brands. 

Best Answer
I also have to charge mine twice a day, said right before and after I use the GPS. 

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

I have been reading the posts and replys and come to the conclusion after dealing with support that the fitbit has a useful life of about two years, I have asked if there is a repair facility and have not yet received a response. What I have received s a sales pitch to purchase a new unit. Sure would like to get this working correctly.

Moderator edit: Removed personal information.

Best Answer

I am having the same problem, mine started about a week ago. Fully charged yesterday, did 35 min circuit session last night and battery is dead this morning. I'm getting really fed up with it and considering returning as not reliable at all. 

Best Answer

After a few days of back and forth with FitBit I was advised that I was out of warranty and also there is no repair service or battery replacement. The best I could do was 25% off the purchase of a new unit. I took the time to research several other forums and it is evident that Fitbit has a life span. It seems I was at the very extended end of that span. The individual from customer service was polite and understanding but the deal is “it wears out”.

Customer service says the parent company is trying to make improvement to extend the life span, so it comes down to the ultimate decision of buying an Apple which compares nicely and charging daily or understanding that you are politely being screwed over, save the 25% and hope for more than two years of daily use.

Michael G.

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem too. Replaced my Surge and it only lasts 2 days.

On the Fitbit webpage its says can last up to 7 days without GPS.

What does that mean? Can last 7 days if it sits in the drawer?

Best Answer

Yes I have the same problem now, Only bought device 2 weeks ago. Have to charge every second day. Use it for steps and maybe the odd cycle.

Best Answer

I'm down to 2 days, no longer under warranty I am moving on to something else. Fitbit has changed my life but for the constant issues of the band getting worse, the bluetooth never connects and just outdated if you ask me. I was offered a 25% discount on full price, thanks but no thanks.

Best Answer

I will tell you candidly I believe the units are made with a maximum life expectancy, FITBIT has not denied it, however if your unit is new they will replace it quickly. I was well out of warranty and after much research still bought another at a discount.

Michael G 

Best Answer
Yes it's such a shame.

The distributor replace a new surge for my faulty set.

The new one has issues with the buttons.

To be honest, I would not recommend Fitbit to anyone, quality does not
match the price!!
Best Answer

@Pallain feel the same as you! I woke up today to see my battery almost drained to nothing. I have gone through a Zip, a (recalled) Force and now two Surges. I am a Fitbit die hard fan, scale and all but if this Surge dies on me and even though I was offered 25% off (time limit to use it in, not in a position to shell out the cash) I have become let down. My wife wife insists we look into Apple watches and I have fought her up to this point but I refuse to throw more money into a new tracker. Smiley Sad

Best Answer
Apple watches don't sleep track without having to start an app.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
Well at least Apple can receive watsapp messages as well. Wonder when Fitbit will update their software 😼

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hi everybody! Nice to see you around, and a warm welcome to all our new members! Cat Happy

I wanted to give a piece of advice in case that you're having issues with your Fitbit battery. If you already tried these tips to improve the battery life.  You can also clean the contacts of the Surge and charger. 

In regards of the response that some of you received from our Support Team, you can read the Returns and Warranty policy, so you can have a better understanding of the response they offered you. I really appreciate your feedback; this is the best way to make your voice heard.

Please let me know if you need further assistance! Cat Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

I really feel disappointed and will not be returning to fitbit. I'm really not sure what to do. I have all these fitbit friends and just riding out my surge to its death (probably soon) I didn't take them up on the 25% since I can get a blaze cheaper but I do not trust them. I like competing with my friends and that helps with goals.

Best Answer

I tried everything including cleaning the contacts with a toothpick and plugging it to my laptop. None of them worked. And it looks like everyday its getting worse. As per number of posts in many threads I can see this is a common problem. It really hurts die hard fitbit fans like us. Have you found out why this is happening? 

Best Answer

I too am having great issues with the battery. My problems actually started while on a trip in Florida. The screen wouldn't swipe to the other features, it was mostly stuck on the time unless you really kept at it by swiping repeatedly with my finger. Then, out of nowhere, it looked like the screen under the glass shattered or something, looks weird and is still that way. Then it quit swiping through the screens altogether but a week later returned to the regular difficulty in swiping but with persistent attempts, I can make it work. Around this same time I noticed the battery now held a charge about 10-12 hours where before it was 2-5 days depending on what I did. As of yesterday, It won't stay charged more than about 4 hours and today, I have messed with it a lot and the drain is less than an hour after showing a full charge. Also, the green lights on the back of the watch are out and it doesn't seem to be counting my steps correctly for the hourly steps.

I spoke to support while in Florida. They could determine I was out of warranty but wanted to offer me a 25% discount to remain a customer and needed to use it with in 30 days. I am irritated that I spent over $200 for a surge in December of 2015 and its already shot. Not 1 single chance will I buy another fitbit product. I have really looked at the Garmin 735 and now the new 935 watches as well as the apple 2 watch. I want something I can swim with and not have to take on and off.  

Best Answer

I agree with you. If fitbit products only work less than one and half years I expect them to admit it and say it their advertisements. As a consumer I have an expectation it to last for a reasonable time as I spent closer to $400 on it. I am sure most jurisdictions have some sort of a consumer protection laws which cover consumer rights in addition to manufacture's or retailer's warranty. For example New Zealand's consumer guarantees act says that the retailer or manufacturer need to repair or replace an item, or give you a refund if something goes wrong within a reasonable time after you buy it. I am sure the reasonable time for an item at this price is definitely more than a couple of years

Other thing I noticed is it is ridiculous if that 25% discount given to you is valid only within their fibit owned online store. Because most retailers sell the same products around 25% cheaper than fitbit online store as a part of their regular promotions. So I don't think you have been given any discount.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, @kushil@jwilli6289@pallain! Cat Very Happy It is nice to see you. Thanks for being here! Based on your recent Fitbit Community posts, I understand that your trackers haven't been working as expected, which makes you feel frustrated.

We strive for excellent customer service taking into consideration all of our member's feedback regarding our products, hence why launch innovative products. Depending on available warranty  (it might vary based on your region) we search for suitable options to keep you in the Fitbit family reinforcing a healthy lifestyle. This is why sometimes gestures of good will, like discounts, are offered; for more information you can check our warranty policies.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Same here. Within the last week or so, mine is draining overnight. Used to hold a charge for days at a time. Fitbit folks - any ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes