Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip not syncing after the update to Android 9

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My husband and I updated our Pixel 2 phones yesterday to Android 9.  Now our fitbits won't sync.  Any tips for this new version?

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
111 REPLIES 111

My zip was ok but the time was off. Now, the whole deal is wiped clean except the time! Is there a top secret way to change it?

Best Answer

I'm having same issue. I keep having to reset the zip to get it to sync. I'm getting ready for third reset.

Best Answer
I talked to Fitbit support and they are working on it! In the meantime, I
guess we keep resetting!
Best Answer
Thanks you!
~ c ~
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @cac27701 and @SusanDaveZip nice to see your here. Welcome aboard @Katec200w!

Thanks for letting us know about this issue. Our team is aware of it and are working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. We're sorry for the syncing trouble that our Android users are having, this is with the 9.0 (Pie) version . We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track. In the meantime, I'd suggest to sync your tracker with a different device or a PC, so you don't loose your data and you can keep the time on your Fitbit.

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to assist you in the meantime.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
hey there, thanks for reaching out. I’ve been getting lots of emails from other fitbit systems folks. Just an fyi, I just tried syncing with the bluetooth on my mac—no go. i’m not sure, then, if syncing with another device is an option.
~ c ~
Best Answer

Hi @cac27701 thanks for getting back and for trying to sync your Fitbit with your Mac computer. 

Can you please confirm these steps on your Android: 

1. Restart your tracker a couple of times and make sure that it is fully charged
  2. Reboot your phone and check that you phone and Fitbit App is up to date 
  3. Open Bluetooth Settings on your phone and delete your Surge from there (forget device)
  4. Open Fitbit App > Account > Surge > Remove device (tap on the trash can in the upper right corner)
  5. Reboot your Bluetooth and double check that it is not connecting from there
  6. Force quite the App. Open it again Account > Set up a device

Check your phone Permissions and leave location on to keep syncing and getting notifications with your phone, for more info check this suggestions from @ErickFitbitSmiley Wink

If that doesn't work let's check some requirements that your phone and Surge should have in order to successfully communicate:

Requirements:

• For Android phones: to help improve the delivery, go to Notifications and make sure Enable Notification Widget is on. If you recently updated the Fitbit app, reboot your mobile device and try setting up notifications again.
  • Make sure the Do Not Disturb setting on your mobile device is turned off because it prevents the device from sending notifications to your tracker.
  • The software on your mobile device is updated. To check, tap Settings > General > Software Update iOS for Android  Settings > About phone > Android Version.
  • The Bluetooth setting on your mobile device is on. To check, tap Settings > Bluetooth.
  • If you use more than one Bluetooth phone, tablet, or computer to sync, the other one isn't nearby (or has Bluetooth disabled).
  • Your tracker's battery should be fully charged.

Thanks for checking that information, please keep me posted. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had no luck with that. Since the last Fitbit update, the device is still not regularly syncing . yesterday, for instance, no syncing unless I manually reset device. It says it cannot find tracker when I ask it to sync. Also, the manual resetting of the Zip is apparently hard on the back cover. ItsI developing a crack, and I've only had the device about 6 months.

Just adding my 2 cents again.. even after last update, my zip will not aync. It's 7pm. I have 4500+ steps on the zip but no sync on the app. If I want the app to register steps, I have to take the battery out and reset. The additional issue with this is then k cover of the ZIP, which has always been a little hard to take off for battery replacement is not holding up from the resets. Except for counting calories, I'm giving up  on the app at this point and no longer trying sync. It's just not worth all this trouble, and I've only had the zip for about 8 months.

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back to me @cac27701.

Thanks a lot for trying those steps and for the additional information that you reseach. I'd recommend wait until you get the information from our team, as I've requested them to create a case on your behalf. You should soon receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums. They will be taking care of you.

I'll around in case that you need anything else! Woman Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Moderator,

I am having a similar problem. I have an original Pixel phone. Updated the phone recently. Now Zip won't sync. In order to get it to syn I have to uninstall app and reinstall it. It will then sync one time and then I have to do it all over again. I have had my Zip for over one year and was thinking of just getting another one, but it that isn't going to help then obviously I don't want to do that.

I am going on a trip soon and I would like to be able to accurately record my steps without having to fool with the app constantly.

So, it seems that I am not the only person having this problem.

Any idea on the time frame for a fix?

Best Answer

My problem exactly . I thought it was the battery.  It wasn't.  Syncing now to my old tablet.

Best Answer

Just to be clear -- the interim works -- I'm not saying I'm happy with the resolution.  I still am removing the battery and syncing with my phone.  It works one time only, so I am doing it every 3 days so as not to lose data.  I'm waiting for the real solution!!  I'm going to be travelling, so the phone is my only option for syncing. 

Best Answer

Hi guys! Thanks for reaching out the Forums. I appreciate the time you've taken in order to troubleshoot this syncing issues. 

Thanks for letting us know about this issues. We’re aware of it and are working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. In the meantime, I'd suggest trying to sync with a different device so you can get your stats on your Dashboard. We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track.

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to assist you in the meantime.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm curious why this problem is marked as 'solved'.  I too am having the same problem since updating my Pixel phone with Android 9 (Pie) about 2 weeks ago.  I've been removing the battery once a day to update the app.  Is this problem really that difficult to solve?  Why are we waiting weeks for a simple patch or software fix?

Best Answer

Hi @tausign, it's great to see you around. Welcome to the Forums.

Thanks for your feedback. The accepted solution for this thread was given by the person that initiated this topic. As mentioned before Fitbit is aware of this issue and we're working on it.

In the meantime, let me take the feedback and let's wait. These types of issues are very unpredictable, sometimes the solution is very simple and other times the solution takes more time to develop

Thanks again for your comments.

Best Answer
0 Votes

it was never solved for me. the zip still does not sync. i just gave up. they offered me a discount on a new one because my 6 month old device is out of warranty. but i still feel like it's an issue that happened after the last android update.

Best Answer
Yes, my problem started immediately after updating to Android 9. I saw
that this was a problem for others and decided to wait patiently for a
fix...it's just taking longer than I expected. I don't want to buy a new
zip and there's no telling whether this problem would be resolved with a
new device...
Best Answer

Use another device is not a solution

Best Answer

When the issue is resolved will someone post back to this thread to update those following the issue? Or perhaps there is somewhere else we should watch? I'm also having the issue where I have to reset the zip every time I want it to sync. It will then sync once, possibly twice, and the stops.

Best Answer