Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip not syncing after the update to Android 9

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My husband and I updated our Pixel 2 phones yesterday to Android 9.  Now our fitbits won't sync.  Any tips for this new version?

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
111 REPLIES 111

Sync to a different device? Do you think I have multiples phones laying around?

Best Answer

Hi everybody thanks for sharing your comments.

Thanks for adding your comments, the thread has been upated. We’re aware of it and are working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track. 

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to assist you in the meantime.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

It's been a couple weeks since this last posting.  Are there any updates?   Is the tech staff able to reproduce this?  Is there an expected time when this will be working again?

Best Answer

Hi @jasonnet, thanks for getting back and for your interest in this. At this moment we don't have updates about it. We'll let you know if anything changes. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

After installing 10/4 update still having problems. 

Best Answer
plus 1

--
Jeff Frelinger
Best Answer

Thanks for sharing your comments @SFFB and @Jaf887. Our team is working had on finding a solution for this. As mentioned before, we appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track. 

I'll be around if you have questions about it. 

Best Answer

This is totally inconvenient. And appears to be a plot to get Zip users to purchase a more expensive device. Just my opinion. My Zip was included in a wellness package through my employer. Now I can't use it to complete the program and it is making me look noncomplient.

You are lucky. I can't even get the Zip to sync with uninstall and reinstall.

And I totally agree! It's a plot to get us to buy more expensive Fitbits.

It is now 10/15/2018 and still no resolve with the zip syncing to Android 9.0!

Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for posting your comments here, welcome! Robot Happy

Thanks for your feedback. Our team is working on this. We're sorry for the syncing trouble that our Android users are having, this is with the 9.0 version . We appreciate your patience,  and as we mentioned above we look forward to get you back on track. In the meantime, I'd suggest to sync your tracker with a different device or a PC, so you don't loose your data and you can keep the time on your Fitbit. 

Other option to keep tracking your stats is using MobileTrack, this feature helps you keep track of your stats: basic activity data including steps, distance, and calories burned. MobileTrack does not track floors, sleep, or active minutes. You can read more about it here: How do I use MobileTrack?

These types of issues are very unpredictable, sometimes the solution is very simple and other times the solution takes more time to develop. 

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to assist you in the meantime.

Best Answer
This is sorely inconvenient. I received this Zip as part of a wellness
package through my employer. The wellness provider truly thought they were
sending their clients reliable devices with a reliable company. It has been
over a month since I've been able to use my Zip.
I had a Flex and it just stopped working and will no longer take a charge.
I liked my Flex. It was slimline and comfortable. I even had purchased some
new bands for it and the thing won't work.
How am I not to think that this is all a ploy to get me to purchase a way
more expensive Fitbit?

Joan
Best Answer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @SunsetRunner. 

Thanks for sharing your comment and feedback. I really understand where you're coming from but at this moment we don't have more details about this feature. We're working hard on solving this. I'll definitely will pass this information to our team, since your point of view is very important for us. 

Thanks a million for being part of Fitbit!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Everyone.

Thanks for replying to my posting.

This outage for Android users is pretty terrible, but I have a few thoughts to share.

I tried out the Windows10 FitBit app.  It's not perfect, it does have at least one bug, but it's a lot better than I was expecting.   It is now fairly regularly synching my FitBit Zip to the web... which then lets me view my status on both my Win10 FitBit app and my Android Fitbit app.   This is a huge improvement over where I was a week ago.   (I keep my Zip clipped to my under-garmets, so pulling it out to check my progress is not workable for me.  Since the Android problem I effectively I could not use my FitBit at all until I tried this.)

As a hobby I do Bluetooth programming.   As a result I occasionally have monitored how my FitBit Zip uses Bluetooth. I think the way that FitBit does Bluetooth seems very reasonable.   It seems likely though that FitBit's straight-forward approach to Bluetooth was undermined by recent quirky changes to the Android Bluetooth stack that were intended to improve the privacy of users of Bluetooth devices, but would break devices using some reasonable approaches.   As a result, although I'm frustrated with my Zip not working with my Pixel 2, I appreciate that the technical team at FitBit might be facing some challenges that are to some degree the result of Google's actions and the pressure Google has faced to improve privacy.  I do hope though that next time Google finds themselves in a situation like this, they find a solution that doesn't leave people like ourselves (and FitBit) in a bad place.

Best Answer
Thank you for your response.
Appreciated.

Joan
Best Answer
Jogger, thanks for your input My work around for this problem has been to
sink my zip using my Apple work phone and then viewing on my Pixel. Not
perfect but it works. I do not want a wrist based device, so will switch to
a Garmin stepper if this stops working for me.
Best Answer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this topic @jasonnet and @Tonik12. You're welcome @SunsetRunner, I'm glad to see you here.

We really appreciate the time you took in order to troubleshoot the issues that you're having to connect your Zip. Great findings @jasonnet and @Tonik12, I'm glad to see that you found a way to sync your Fitbit. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and rest assure that we'll pass this information to our team.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue, my Fitbit zip will not sync with my Google Pixel 2 running Andriod 9.0. 

I have tried the troubleshooting steps that you outlined earlier. If you would like any other information please let me know.

I really like my zip because I don't have to wear it on my wrist, (i'd prefer to wear my mechanical watch).

Best Answer

Hope you’re having an amazing time on the Forums @Coffee2theorems, I’m really glad that you’ve joined us.

Thanks for the steps that you've already tried. At this moment, we don't have any update regarding this issue affecting the Fitbit Zip. We really appreciate you feedback. And as mentioned before you can try to sync your tracker with a different device or a PC, so you don't loose your data and you can keep the time on your Fitbit. 

If you have any further questions, please let me know!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is getting ridiculous!  I first reported this in August -- this is nearly 3 months!  We love our Zips.  Our workaround is to take the battery out and put it back in once a week. This updates the app on our phones one time, and then not again until we do the same a week later.

We are leaving soon on a long trip several time zones away.  Dealing with time zone changes on the Zip and updating will be much more trouble. 

I never see the Zip being sold in the stores any more, so 'mI guessing it isn't a priority for FitBit.  We won't use something on our wrists, so we really need you to focus on this and fix it!

Best Answer

Hello @SusanDaveZip, thanks for getting back.

I absolutely understand where you are coming from. At this moment we still haven't received any news on the matter but I've been keeping my eyes open and trying to get updates. If I do I'll be sure to post about it.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is frustrating that I spent an hour+ with a Fitbit tech and they said I need to buy a new alta hr because it wouldn't sync. I used an old phone and it worked until that android system was updated. So my Fitbit does work but not when my phone updates it seems like Fitbit has not really considered the device's we use constantly update so they should plan for their products to function and update similarly. Very disappointing. 

Best Answer