Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food log not working

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When adding a new food from the food database I just keep getting the spinning icon. This is happening more and more so frustrating when you are trying to log your food. Have tried logging out of the Fitbit app. Shutting the phone down then logging in again no success 

Moderator edit: subject for clarity 

Best Answer
181 REPLIES 181

I was having this issue with my iPhone 6s but I recently lost it and had to replace it with an iPhone 12 about 3 weeks ago. Since then I no longer have this issue. It’s too bad if the solution is to buy a new phone. If I hadn’t bought a new phone I probably would have tried a different brand fitness tracker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

iPhone 6s software version 15.0.1

Fitbit version 3.48(1069)

I have the same problems everyone else has with add food.

It seems to me that this should have nothing to do with the type of fitness tracker a person has, it is all in the APP.  Except maybe it has to do with scanning the bar code, which still would be in the APP.  If you are completely frustrated it does appear that if you reset everything, including your phone, you get one fast scan then back to the spinning circle.

Chatting with fitbit support was useless they didn't even tell me there was such a widespread problem, yet alone tell me how to fix it.

I am thinking it may be Apple wanting me to buy a new phone or Fitbit not really knowing what to do about the problem, other then to wait until everyone upgrades there phone but as I read that isn't even for sure.

Best Answer
I am totally frustrated!

I am now convinced that Fitbit has no idea how to correct this problem!

Thank you for the update.
Best Answer

I experienced lots of "spinning wheels" earlier this year.  I have essential solved my problem with the following steps.

1.  Be sure that you have the latest Fitbit software on your phone and on the watch.

2. Bluetooth should be turned off (or Fitbit forgotten) on every device within 100 feet.

3.  Be sure the watch is at least 50 percent charged.

4.  Launch Fitbit on your phone.  snap the window down slightly so that the SYNC starts. The progress line should advance at least 1/4 inch right away.  It then might take a minute or two to go to 100 percent.  Don't try to add any food unless you get a successful SYNC.

a) if not:  reboot the watch.

b)  if no success, forget the BT fitbit device and allow it to recreate.  You should get a request from the OP SYS to allow adding the watch to BT.  Now, back in the app, snap the window down to start the sync again.

Once Fitbit upgraded it's apps, my basic problem was having several devices (phone and ipad) fighting over who gets to talk to the watch. I recommend turning BT off on all other devices until you get it working.  I still have to reboot the watch about once per day when I get the spinning wheel but it only takes a minute.  I have been successful with this approach over the last few months.  I have probably added 1000 food entries into the log.  Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just scanned 3 items, took about 1 sec each and I really didn't do anything.  Except the date and time changed????  And I did swipe down and saw it sync as described in the above reply.  Maybe that's all that needs done after installing the latest upgrades.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I finally updated my iPhone from a 6 to a 12 and now the food log is working properly. I was finding that a number of other apps (eg Chase bank and Maui vaccine/Covid app to name two) were not working with iOS that Apple was no longer supporting as of 2019.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
My problem, I don’t like planned obsolescence. My other problem is, the food log does work at times and very fast. There is just one thing I am missing. As for updating, I still get updates for my iPhone and the screens look exactly like my wife’s iPhone 12.
Sent from Mail for Windows
Best Answer

This is it for me, I think I figured it out thanks to help from this board.

1. always keep everything updated, goes without saying but I don't think it has anything to do with fixing this, just a good idea.

2. If for some reason there are bluetooth devices trying to log on to your phone it might cause a problem, but I don't think so.  But keep everything charged up should work best.

3. It has become obvious that the APP and the phone need to be synced in order to add food properly.  I noticed that when I scanned an item the information quickly flashed on the screen but then went to spinning circle.  I took the suggest from this board, if the scan doesn't work, go back to the today screen and swipe down, you will see at the top a message telling you it is syncing the phone.  Every time I have done that it has worked.  So why doesn't it stay synced?  I am thinking because the phone and the fitbit gets separated and lose connection.

Anyway, hope that helps those too cheap to update and those who did update but have the same problem.

Maybe there is somewhere to select auto sync, but I have not found it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, not quite done, I had one more question.  I turned off cellular data on my iPhone, it saves me money.  So I am thinking that when I leave my phone in the house and walk to the garage the fitbit tries to use cellular data to update but can't and the phone doesn't see wi-fi.  Thus the spinning wheel when I come back in and why it seems to always work if I stay in wi-fi zone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ditto, often times and not just tonight but at random for months common items in the food database will not add to my dinner, tonight it is ‘kroger apple sauce’ and ‘cup of noodles’ however many many items in the food list just give a spinning wheel.   It has nothing to do with the Versa or IOS, the FITBIT DATA BASE IS BAD , PLEASE FIX IT.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Have you tied making sure your fitbit and the app are synced? I have not had one item not instantly appear after I sync the two. Just go to the today screen and swipe down, you will see it syncing at the top of the screen. Once done I think you will have success. Good Luck.

Which raises the question, why doesn’t it stay synced or auto sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrSpock314  don't you think it's ridiculous that you have to do that? Why should bluetooth affect food logging at all, or for that matter sync with the watch? Apart from calories burned there is no data from the watch that affect the logging of food in any way. My total calories is usually up to date without 'pulling down' to force sync. Turning off bluetooth on every device within 100 feet? What if you are in a public place where there might be a lot of other bluetooth devices nearby that are not yours to turn off? I have heard mention of bluetooth having and effect on things, it's never made any difference to me but if this is the case FitBit need to fix it. They have had long enough to investigate this and fix it so we don't all have to do the Dance of The Seven Veils just to log a quick snack!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for the response.

I do that every time and I still have the problem. This past week an entry was “spinning” for over 3 hours and never registered.

I really do appreciate you responding.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi GuyFit,

Yes, I agree that it's ridiculous that the BlueTooth is tied so closely to the food logging. I have outlined my procedure and it works for me.  I've used it for the last 3 months at least with no problems. (I had the spinning problem since January, 2021.)

By "turning off BlueTooth for 100 feet." I meant that you have to guarantee that there is no signal.  You have several options. a) Devices that have never registered to the watch are not a problem.  b) If the device is registered, turn off it's BT.  c)  If you don't want to turn it off, tell it to "forget" the watch.

It's my opinion that there are actually at least 4 different teams of programmers that have worked on the software: Android, iPhone, iPad, and Windows.  There are slight differences in each program.  It's a complex system that has evolved over the years.  BTW, I've never actually gotten my Windows 10 PC to sync properly, so I have it's BT turned off.  I use my iPhone to sync and enter the food log.  I just use the PC to review my data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had the same problem for several weeks and it's really frustrated the hell out of me. I tried your Bluetooth fix and it 100% works for me too. As someone who has worked with computers over the years, I'm sure that this is down to sloppy programming. Both Bluetooth and WiFi use communications protocols and in some cases do similar things. The food app needs to talk to FitBit and I'm guessing that it's going to Bluetooth before WiFi and hitting a 'road block'. FYI I still have this issue with software version 3.5 - so no one has addressed it at FitBit.

Best Answer
Thank you for the feedback, it may not be the perfect fix but at least it is progress. It also seems like it is something that they can fix, but don’t.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are still having this issue then you can do what I do and sync your fitbit to your iphone within the app.  Simply go to the today screen pull down with your finger and at the top it will say snycing iphone, after that is done the app should work correctly, until you separate the phone and the fitbit, then you need to repeat the process.  I see no way of knowing if the two are synced.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Pulling down to sync does not make it work for me. I also don't think the
Bluetooth off fix always works either.

What does seem to work for me recently to log new items I've never logged
before (by search or barcode) is this - quit the app then reopen. To log
the food item click on the '+' on the right hand side of the food tile at
the bottom of the main app screen - Don't open the food page itself (that
has the recipes etc at the top). Logging this way seems to be almost
instant for at least 2 new items. As soon as I open the food page fully and
try to log from there, only recent or items I have logged before will be
quick, new items will be very slow or not work.

Each step is important, you must quit and reopen first because it seems
that if you have ever opened the full food log page since opening the app
it will be slow or not work.
Best Answer

I still have most of the same issues we were reporting back in April. Spinning while trying to add food from the database, entries doubling up or disappearing - sometimes weeks later. I always go back a week or two now and look through my food entries to make sure nothing has doubled up. This issue was NOT happening prior to March/April so whatever release happened then, it broke something and whatever bug fixes they put in didn't completely fix all the issues. 😞

Best Answer

Here it is December 2021 and it’s getting worse. Anyone else not able to get food to load off the search list?  Infuriating. It’s tempting to look for another system but finding one that is integrated is not easy. 

Best Answer