Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS not working correctly since updating to iOS 11

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi Everyone, our team has reported this issue is resolved. If you haven't already, please update your app to version 2.45. I'll be closing this thread for new comments. If you are experiencing GPS issues with your tracker and iOS device, please see the help pages below. If that doesn't resolve the issue please post a new comment.  

I've merged a few threads together. Our team is aware of some users having issues with GPS intermittently disconnecting during exercise after updating to iOS 11. Users see incorrect distance or see "Check Fitbit App" message. I do hope to have a fix soon and will update this thread when I learn more. 

If you haven't already, check out this article on why GPS isn't working for potential fixes. If you are still experiencing this issue you may also want to try tracking your run with MobileRun and GPS as a workaround. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
182 REPLIES 182

same here, I can not sync since using a new IOS 11 phone. first I tried restating my device, also deleting the fitbit app and reinstalling the app. then I I  removed my device and started with add a new device / new set it up, but I get stuck at the 'Next' button after agreeing to terms & privacy notice.

please get a solution soon fitbit!

Best Answer
It’s so annoying I can only get GPS working by deleting and reinstalling app each time I want to use GPS. It used to work perfectly before I installed iOS 11. Hope Fitbit get it sorted soon.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having issues with syncing my collected data since 11.01. It is extremely slow. Is this the same issue with the GPS?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the replies. Previously, on my Charge 2, all I had to do was make sure the Fitbit app was open on the iPhone, stick it in my riding bag, double tap the Charge 2 to go to "Bike", hit the button, ride and it synced to the GPS, mapped, etc. regardless of whether I had other apps open or whether other apps utilize GPS even if they are not open. I liked it that way. I hope Fitbit realizes I'm not really interested in opening and closing a bunch of apps or jacking with my settings on iPhone at all and would rather just buy another unit from another manufacturer that works in a simple fashion rather than jack with it anymore. So would my brother and both my sons (college age) and their friends who are all having the same problem. They are all runners. And Christmas is coming and these make good stocking stuffers (how I got mine). I ride early in the morning due to Texas heat and I'm too sleepy to go through a long process of jacking with my phone and the Fitbit app in a 12 step process to get it to work. The other irritant is that I was under the impression that Apple makes available beta versions of new operating system upgrades so that their approved app providers have advanced warning and can adjust their app to the new software before its released. But, I could be wrong about that.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am not having any problems syncing or which anything else on my tracker, just the GPS which enables me to map my walk is not working. Worked perfectly until I installed iOS11

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Tinysuz: Same here. I said earlier that when I double tap to "Bike" on the Charge 2 and start it and Fitbit app is open it does record that I was riding a bike, how long I rode, calories, heart rate. But none of the mapping features which includes distance, average speed, elevation changes, route with the actual map, graphs showing portions of the ride for heart rate, etc. The other thing is that Fitbit has everyone's email address, and it seems it would be easy to at least make us feel better and say "here's our estimated time to fix" or "here's the problem and it is happening to other brands as well" or whatever. I haven't received anything from Fitbit. Sprint is running this massive iPhone 8 special which comes with IOS 11 or 11.1, so I can't imagine just the people on this forum are the only one's having problems. Starting to wish I hadn't bought the nice wristband for it. Maybe it will be a different manufacturer purchase, and just throw the Fitbit in a drawer and turn it on every now and then and see if it works. Who knows. Its too bad they are stumbling.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update to ios 11.0.1 reinstalled the app and restart the charge 2 but mostly it has no gps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe some good news. Tried it at lunch. All I did differently on the iPhone was (1) go to Settings; (2) scroll down to the bottom where apps are listed; (3) open the one for Fitbit; (4) open Location; (5) change location to "Always" as opposed to "While using the App". Then I opened the Fitbit app, practiced a walk on the Charge 2 and it synced and mapped it just like before. That is one time. Will try with bike tomorrow and update. I'm using the latest IOS Apple offers. I think it is 11.1 or 11.01. Not just plain 11. And using the latest Fitbit App.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine is set on ‘always’, keep posting on how you get on.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure what you mean by "how you get on". Turning on the GPS in general is done on the same general Settings, then go to Privacy, then go to Location Services, and turn it on.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Just post if GPS is working for you

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Since last post did a short walk and tested it. Worked fine on short walk. GPS mapped, etc. I had left Fitbit App open from earlier post where it worked and did not go back through Settings, etc. on this second try. Next one I will close Fitbit App, and then open it back up and not do anything and see if it works again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 2 still works. Tried a 3rd time driving home. Made sure the Fitbit app was off. Opened it. Started the "Bike" activity on the Charge before I drove home and let it run the whole way. Stopped it when I arrived. Checked my phone and it synced and mapped it out. Showed my route from my office to home, speed, etc. etc. Didn't mess with the Fitbit in the Settings portion of the phone. Left it at "Always" for Location, and left the Location Services "On" in the Privacy portion of Settings. Last test will be a bike ride tomorrow. If it works again, then I suppose everything is OK.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Working fine. Rode the bike today. Again, go to Settings, Privacy and Location Services or Location and turn this on. On the main Settings page, scroll to the bottom where Fitbit is one of the Apps and open it. Then make sure Location is set to Always and not Only When App Is Running or whatever. Upgrade to IOS 11.01 or 11.1 or whatever its called the newest. Turn phone off and back on, open Fitbit App and it works (at least for me).

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the update, my is working fine too now.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Saw something strange happend on my iphone last week fitbit was updated to v2.40.1. On my ipad i saw it was v2.41 from 2 days ago. But still their was no update for the iphone. I removed fitbit from iphone reinstalled it and now i have v2.41 and it looks like gps is working now.

Jan 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks yes it always works first time after deleting and reinstalling but then it doesn’t work the next time and you have to either really close app and open again or delete and reinstall again. A real pain.

However, my phone has just had a Fitbit app update, not had a chance to try it yet but hope it will work. Sure it will work first time but will it for a second?

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sinds yesterday it works continuously with the update. Only the update was not automaticaly recongnized by my iphone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's been working consistently with the app update to 2.41 for me too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

11.01 update did NOT fix for me.  

Best Answer
0 Votes