Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS not working correctly since updating to iOS 11

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi Everyone, our team has reported this issue is resolved. If you haven't already, please update your app to version 2.45. I'll be closing this thread for new comments. If you are experiencing GPS issues with your tracker and iOS device, please see the help pages below. If that doesn't resolve the issue please post a new comment.  

I've merged a few threads together. Our team is aware of some users having issues with GPS intermittently disconnecting during exercise after updating to iOS 11. Users see incorrect distance or see "Check Fitbit App" message. I do hope to have a fix soon and will update this thread when I learn more. 

If you haven't already, check out this article on why GPS isn't working for potential fixes. If you are still experiencing this issue you may also want to try tracking your run with MobileRun and GPS as a workaround. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
182 REPLIES 182

Have they found a fix yet for this issue because I just got my Fitbit Ionic and I still have the issue with my device

Best Answer
0 Votes
Make sure your iPhone software is up to date and then try turning Bluetooth off and on again or resetting the watch.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I thought the Ionic had a built in gps tracker and didn’t use the phones?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

They claim it has a built in GPS but my watch has been a mile or more off every single time I run and the pace it says I’m running is even worse. So I don’t know what the problem is

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any news on this topic? This is a big issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

More than GPS. This won’t sync at all.  The quality of the fit bit really needs to be improved. I tried to log off and on  and now I cannot even log in. I am ready to throw this in the river!  I will never buy another one...I will buy another more dependable product.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If users are still seeing "Check Fitbit App" message when trying to use connected GPS, please let me know. 

@MattRice there is a separate issue with GPS tracking and Ionic that our team is currently investigating and should have a fix soon. You may also want to check out the tips on this post to improve GPS accuracy. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
0 Votes

I rode my bike today and the GPS did not work...check fitbit app.  

I am frustrated and about to explore other tracking options.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Charge 2.  Is there any hope or should I give up on the GPS?  

If helpful I walked 6 mile Monday and the GPS worked.  I rode my bike today and it did not.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I called customer service and was able to get my charge 2 replaced. The replacement has not had the gps issue at all. I also have a Blaze, and thankfully no issues with that one. The original charge 2 I put on my mom for a few days to see what time she’s been waking up bc she has Alzheimer’s. We went on a walk, and I tried tracking it and “Check Fitbit App” appeared. Blaze and later other charge 2 were tracking without any problems. I was also using a separate iPhone for the tracker on mom. 

Best Answer

Thank you.  I will try to get mine replaced.  I have 3.5 years with Fitbit and prefer not switching.

Best Answer

I’ve not even with Fitbit a year, and I was so disappointed when it stopped working properly. I must say, both times I’ve ever had to deal with customer service, it has been nothing but positive. They’ve really gone above & beyond. I hope they’re able to help you as well. Good luck! 

Best Answer

Hi, I still receive this message when pairing GPS. Fitbit Charge 2 syncs fine other than this. Have been trying to get a fix but Fitbit support has stopped responding to my emails. The only way to track my run is to pull out my phone and start / pause from the app. Eventually (with sweaty hands) I will probably drop my phone... 

Best Answer

My charge 2 still says “check Fitbit app”. Seriously guys? I’ve had this thing like a week and I am literally going to throw it away and go back to Garmin. For a company like Fitbit to advertise “connect gps” and NOT provide it is ridiculous. Good bye. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you spoken with Fitbits support?  If you have only had it a week it may not be configured correctly.

Best Answer

Any update on this problem? My Fitbit has become a very expensive pedometer since this IOS update, despite following all the recommendations. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still having problems. Each day is different. Never know when it’s going to work correctly.   I’ve had my Fitbit for 2 years and this is the first time I’ve had a problem that is persistent. Just when I think it’s working I get a really screwed up run. Help fix this problem. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use to wear my watch on my right wrist and I had the Fitbit synced for dominant wrist since I’m a righty. I switched it over to my left hand and clicked non-dominant hand. For some reason the GPS is a lot more reliable now on the Ionic. I use to be miles off on my runs and now it is much more accurate. It is usually accurate for the most part except some runs it’ll be off. Though its been vastly improved from dominant accuracy.  I’m still disappointed with Fitbit if they can’t fix an issue that’s been around for months now

Best Answer
0 Votes
As far as I can ascertain Fitbit think this issue is solved by uninstalling then reinstalling the app, yet for many of us this hasn’t worked. It probably is an issue caused by the iOS update, but it’s up to the app people to keep their apps working. I’m not happy I’m still having this issue 2-3 months after it started.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m lucky that both my Blaze and Charge 2 are still connecting and I’m getting that annoying message anymore. However, if I see “Check Fitbit app” even once, I’m jumping ship and going with Apple or Garmin. Out of curiosity, which iPhone is everyone using? I have 7 Plus and it’s been nothing but a piece of junk. Was using my daughter’s 6s and not once did I get “the dreaded message”..

Best Answer
0 Votes