Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor GPS alert message when tracking exercise.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When starting the gps, I continue to get the message "Poor gps alert, continuing with this activity could result in inaccurate results. It's not

calculating correctly all of a sudden. I've been doing the same route for 6 months so don't know why all of a sudden. I've trouble shot every idea out there. I've done it all and customer service seems to be at a loss for me as well. Help. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
71 REPLIES 71

I was only using fitbit (although when I got the message again I went to MapmyWalk ap)(I actually had to re-download mapmywalk as I was excited to find out my fitbit would do the same thing)......  I removed the restrictions and powered down my phone.  I don't understand why it worked well at first................... but am very disappointed..... especially after seeing this long list of messages...............

Best Answer
0 Votes

I understand your engineers are working on the issue. BUT, I'm not so sure the explanation for the issue being with the GPS on my phone (Fitbit Charge 2 w/iphone) is accurate. I use the GPS on my phone almost everyday and it is 100% accurate. Also, at first, my tracking worked perfect. My wife kept getting the poor GPS connection message. We tried all the things you listed. I even went with a theory that since we both had them and were trying to sync, could our devises get confused and try pairing with each others fitbit. Separating them to different parts of the house worked only one time. After trying all the solutions you provide here, my wife's now works perfect and mine gets the error message. Almost everyone on this chain say the same thing;"it worked fine, and then it changed". If it is the phone's GPS, why does it start out working fine and change overnight? This has to be some software issue with the tracker.

ALSO, my Fitbit is less then a year old, can I get replaced using the warranty? Theoretically, I could just keep returning it until it works properly. Does the new Fitbit Charge 3 have the GPS built into it? Maybe you should have a swap program for these very unhappy users of the Fitbit Charge 2?

Anyone else on board with this idea?

Best Answer

Yes!

This!

GPS works on other running apps so it's not my GPS or the settings.

GPS used to work on my Fitbit app - and on occasion still does... until it doesn't again.

The phone/app settings etc. don't change between working and not working.

The route doesn't change between working and not working.

What is going on?

What's the point of having a Fitbit.

I'd be afraid to invest in another Fitbit product (with GPS on the device) because what if that doesn't work well either? If Fitbit can't seem to find the flaw, it could persist forever and it would be throwing good money after bad.

Is Fitbit seriously looking into this? They are no longer the only game in town and I'm getting tired of all these pat answers.

Moderator Edit: Format.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone, I hope you're having a great day and a great week so far. 

Please note that as I've mentioned earlier, I've already compiled all the information provided and escalated it to our engineering team along with all the troubleshooting steps you've already tried so far. When I get an update about the state of this issue, I'll make sure to let you all know here in the official Forums. I appreciate you have kept an eye on this thread and I'd like to thank you for the feedback you have provided as well. 

Thanks again for your patience and understanding, I hope you all have a great day. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

This forum is pretty depressing.  I too have had the same issues while trying to track a run/walk from the Fitbit app on the phone.  iPhone 6S, iOS 11.4.1, Charge 2.  It was an intermittent problem for me for a while (over the last several months).  But now, for the last several weeks I see this error message any time I want to track an activity form the app.  ALL the other apps on my phone that use GPS work just fine. 

I was hoping when I got to the end of this thread there would be some magical answer, but instead, it seems there are only months and months of people reporting the same problem as I have and Fitbit reps replying that they "know of the issue".  

I'll monitor this forum for a solution for a little while...but not forever.  At some point, I will just have to try a different product.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been having the exact same issue.  I thought it was because I have a FitBit One and maybe it's being left behind, or grandfathered out trying to force an upgrade.  I have read everything in this thread, and it's apparently all FitBits on all phones... 100% a FitBit app issue with remedial engineering.  Just to be sure, I did every last "fix" that was repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly posted and not one of them works.  Before I found this pathetic example of service and support, I WAS going to upgrade and buy a new FitBit.  After this?  I'm in the market for a new tracker, but it WILL NOT be FitBit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having exactly the same issues as everyone else with my Charge 2 and no GPS signal. I have tried everything suggested and am thinking of steering clear of Fitbit from now on !

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a charge 2, same issue . updated to a charge 3 today and same issue . I never had this issue when I first got my charge 2.  my hubby has an alta and no issue .  I love fitbit  but very discouraged right now with their products .

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there an update from Fitbit on when this known issue might be fixed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @tarag27 and @ElspethP have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community. 

First of all, I would like to apologize for the delay in the response. I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for sharing your experience with us. At this moment, in case you haven't done it yet, please go to your phone Settings > Fitbit and make sure that Location has been set up to Always and that Bluetooth Sharing is enabled. 

Then, before starting GPS-based activity from your Fitbit device, open the Fitbit app and wait for it to connect to your device. The app needs to be running in the background for the GPS to maintain a stable connection. If the device is not connecting, sync it, then try again. 

Give this a try and let us know how it goes. Happy stepping! 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also using a Charge 2 and I get the same “poor GPS” error (through multiple iphones, currently using an 11). In fact i don’t think I have used it without getting the error. I finally decided to look into it after a hike in the mountains (which means no buildings or other obstructions) and my companion with a Garmin got the exact distance the trail marker had indicated and I was 50% over. This is a very long thread and I haven’t looked at all the posts - is there actually a fix?  Given how long this thread has lasted this looks like it is a fundamental flaw in the Fitbit system and can’t be solved. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @MarcoGFitbit i followed all ur steps and I’m still having poor GPS alert and I’m in bed trying it out and it keeps saying that message. Plus my heart rate is not being tracked on it !! That’s the whole reason why I got the Fitbit charger 4 so I have can get my heart rate. 

Best Answer
0 Votes