Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopped seeing notifications after updating to iOS 13

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 12/13/2019: Please ensure you are on the latest iOS version, currently 13.3. Also check out the updated instructions in our notification help article

This thread is a continuation of our previous discussion on notification issues introduced with iOS 13. If you are experiencing difficulty with your notifications after updating to iOS 13, please carefully follow the steps in this article, which are also documented below.

These steps should resolve the issue when followed correctly. We realize this process can take some time, and encourage you to proceed carefully and deliberately through every step, even if you think you've already done so.

If these steps do not appear to resolve the issue for you, please try them at least once more to be certain, then respond in this thread with specific details about where you were unable to proceed, or what unexpected behavior you are still experiencing. 

1. GET UP-TO-DATE

1. Update the Fitbit app.
  2. Make sure you installed the latest version of iOS. Tap Settings > General > Software update to see if an update is available.

2. CHECK YOUR BLUETOOTH SETTINGS

1. Tap Settings > Bluetooth.
  2. Tap the information icon  

next to the name of your Fitbit device.
  3. Turn Share System Notifications off and then back on. If you don't see the Share System Notifications option:
    1. Restart your Fitbit device. For more information, see How do I restart my Fitbit device?
    2. Tap Allow when you receive a message on your iPhone or iPad asking if you want your Fitbit device to show notifications.
    3. Tap the information icon  

next to the name of your Fitbit device
    4. Turn on Share System Notifications.

3. CHECK YOUR NOTIFICATION SETTINGS

1. Tap Settings in the top-left to return to the Settings page > Notifications.
  2.  Make sure Show Previews is set to Always or When Unlocked.
  3. Verify the settings for each app that sends notifications:
App Settings
Calendar
  • Allow Notifications—On
  • Tap each notification type and verify the settings:
    • Alerts > Notification Center—On
    • Show Previews—Always or When Unlocked
Phone
  • Allow Notifications—On
All other apps
  • Allow Notifications—On

4. RESTART YOUR PHONE

For instructions, see the Apple help article.

5. DOUBLE-CHECK

If these steps do not resolve the issue for you, please keep your app up to date, and double-check the following:

• DO NOT DISTURB

This feature prevents your phone from sending notifications. Verify that Do Not Disturb is off:

1. On your phone, tap Settings > Do Not Disturb.
  2. Make sure Do Not Disturb is turned off. 
  • SET UP NOTIFICATIONS IN THE FITBIT APP
  1. With your Fitbit device nearby, tap the Today tab 

> your profile picture. 
  2. Tap your device image > Notifications. Follow the on-screen instructions to pair your Fitbit device to your phone. 
  3. Choose the types of notifications you want to receive. Tap App Notifications and choose the apps you want notifications from. 
  4. Sync your device.

Again, if these steps do not work for you, please try them more than once and then let us know specific details about your experience so that we can assist further. Please keep your app up to data and watch this thread for new information. 

What's your favorite healthy breakfast? Share your best recipes and join our discussion!

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
1,716 REPLIES 1,716

I agreed with 100%

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with dmiele71.

Being required to show previews of the messages on my phone (unlocked or not) in order to receive text notifications is a WORKAROUND and NOT a solution. 

Best Answer

I have preview turned on and still does not work for text messages. Overall a piece of crap, I should have just forked the additional $200 and bought Gen 4 iwatch

Best Answer

Why spend the money on a Versa 2, if all it does is my health tracker. I’m so frustrated I’ve made the decision to return this and get an Apple Watch. As a vendor this should have been anticipated, tested with Apple and for us consumers is should have been a seamless change. As a first time buyer, you lost me forever

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry - this still is not working for me - I cannot get text on my Fitbit Versa - I am so frustrated - I am on the verge of returning it and buying something else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am getting notification on my Alta when I get a call and sometimes when I need to hit my hourly step goals. I am not getting any text notification. I have followed all instructions multiple times. Both my iphone and my fitbit are completely up to date. Please help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks to all that got back to me to verify that you are on iOS 13.2.3 and app 3.11.1 along with what notifications are missing and where you may be getting stuck. More context is helpful. I'm trying to gather why some are still not receiving messages, along with other feedback and will be sharing with our team for review. 

@JeffWhiston thanks for getting back to me, this article may help explain why you occasionally miss texts. @TJHCPier the article may help you as well. 

@dmiele71@SH2 , @Twynk , Your feedback is noted and will be shared about the 'show preview' workaround. Thank you!

@briminime93@afessides@AmandaLadd@Lsullivan11 , @Erikalauterbach ,@LaineyNC noted that you aren't seeing texts but do see other notifications. Did you try the workaround to make sure show previews is set to always or when unlocked? See #3 in the main post

@BrookeHitchman@Rosapa1 appreciate the feedback that it's working now. 

@ozarkchick that's great news, thanks for sharing what worked, it's very helpful. 

@emilyrrosalie thanks for getting back to me. Have you tried removing the Versa and adding back like @ozarkchick mentions above your post? You both had the same issue with your Versa. 

@halfpint1973@PixieM  Please try the following to get all day synced set up. 

• Go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and check if your tracker is on the list of paired devices. If it is, tap on it and select Forget this Device.
  • Restart your phone
  • Restart your tracker
  • Go back to the Fitbit app and try to enable All-day Sync or Notifications again. 

Please note to keep this thread on topic, I'm only addressing issues with notifications, If you are experiencing other issues, please create a new post or in a similar thread. Thanks. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
It sounds like the issue is not getting text notifications when the message setting is set to show no message preview. I have been reading responses all day and have yet to see one person who is getting messages on their device when the message setting is set to not show the message preview. Btw, I’ve got the Versa Lite and have had it for less than a week.
Best Answer

Here is a trick I tried and seems to work on my iPhone 8x. 
go into messages, Select notification

show preview . Turn it on

go down to messages

set notification on
Select motivation center on

badges on

show preview always (default)

go back to bluetooth

Select Versa 

turn of share system notification 

tun it back on

at least on mine i started getting text messages on my Versa 2

Best Answer
Does it work when message preview is turned off? That is the issue.
Best Answer

mine doesn’t, no

Best Answer

My sentiments exactly!  I had the Alta for a couple years and upgraded to the Charge 3 less than a year ago. I so regret not getting the Apple Watch now. Not getting text notifications is beyond frustrating and it’s been several months now. Such a disappointment. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agree! I need to leave my phone unattended at work but my children might text

Best Answer
0 Votes
With PReview Turned on. Only turning on NotificTion center, keeps the phone from
Presenting information on the screen, thus maintaining your privacy. I’ve tested it out with messages only sending it to the phone and CNBC news feed showing up both on my
Phone and watch. My 2
Cents 😊
Best Answer

I was able to get notifications working again on my iPhone.  This is what I ended up doing:

iPhone XR iOS 13.2.3

Fitbit Versa 32.70.7.14

Fitbit app 70.7.14

1. Go to Fitbit app and choose 'Remove This Versa'

2. Go to Bluetooth -> Versa -> 'Forget This Device'

3. Shut down iPhone and Versa

4. Boot iPhone.  Boot Versa

5. Go to the Fitbit app and follow the workflow to add the Versa again as a new watch.

Once I completed the adding new watch, notifications began to work again.  Previously, the notification list that you see on swipe-down on the watch would show notifications, but there were no alerts on the watch.  Also, after doing this I had to re enable all App Notifications in the Fitbit app: Account -> Versa -> Notifications -> App Notifications -> green slider for each app.

Also, this works with the iOS Notifications setting Show Previews -> When Unlocked.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I hadn't received a single alert on my Versa since going to iOS 13.  The steps provided by Fitbit in this post did nothing.

Best Answer

This is still not working for me despite numerous attempts and it’s been several months now and I’m still not receiving iPhone texts on my Versa.  I receive notifications from the apps that have been enabled as well though.  

Is there a solution in sight soon?  I purchased the Versa specifically for this feature and the tracker and now this defeats the whole purpose.  I should have just gone with the Apple Watch - I’m sure if this happened with them they would have had a resolution immediately. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I realized the key thing I was overlooking in your instructions is that previews need to be on for you to get text notifications now??? I have my texts set to never show a preview and personally don’t want to change that if someone is looking at my phone and a message comes through.... so this fix ain’t good enough in my opinion. This was not the case prior to iOS 13 as I never have had previews on.

Best Answer

I’ve followed these steps many times but the issue still isn’t resolved. When I go in to the Fitbit app and select notifications it tells me ‘Bluetooth pairing required’, but selecting set up hasn’t resulted in anything other than a spinning wheel followed by a message saying pairing failed .My software is up to date and my charge 3 is showing as connected in my iPhone Bluetooth settings. Any more ideas please? I miss notifications and I’m starting to wish I’d bought an Apple Watch instead!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have preview set to “always” and still don’t get any text notifications. That “fix” only seems to work in some cases.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Though it may not be the best solution, it seems to work still maintains privacy. Has calmed me down from returning my Vista 2 this evening 😊.
My biggest peeve, this should have been the feedback that should have been posted by Fitbit. Not us frustrated consumers spending countless hours trying to find a solution.

Best regards to all

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer