Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Alta turning off out of the charger

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My fitbit alta has stopped working as soon as its being Unplugged from the charger.Even after tapping it multiple times,it is not reponding as if its dead and as soon as its plugged with charger,Its battery in fitbit app shows that its fully charged and synced but when unplugged,its not working at all.

Help me as soon as possible!

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity, format

Best Answer
239 REPLIES 239
I called customer service today and asked if it was possibly from the update. The guy was nice but after I told him I hadn’t used it for 2 months said that is why because it needs to be synced more often and that there wasn’t a fix and I have had it too long for a warranty. The guy was nice but I explained I work construction and use my Fitbit Alta while working and work in Northern MN and work is seasonal at times. I have gone several times without using it for a couple months at a time and never had an issue. I brought up that there was many people complaining of the same issue and they are all recent but he made it sound like people don’t use them right and then complain they don’t work. He gave me a 25% off coupon by email that I will buy the Fitbit Charge 3. I did some research and it seems that one is my best option. I did use my Alta for 3 years almost but still expect it to last longer. I still think there is a glitch with the update or something as so many people are now having the same issue.
Sorry for lengthy response but basically he said it was not fixable.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

My Alta is doing the same thing.  Pretty sure it is a software issue, here is why.  If I keep tapping it every second or so after removing from the charger, it will cycle through the screens (including the charging screen) and run all day (or until my finger tires).   As soon as I stop tapping it, then it recognizes that it is no longer charging and turns itself off and won't wake back up (like everyone else is seeing).  That means it has an issue going from charging mode into normal mode.   Since it will continue to run as long as you keep tapping it, the battery level is not the issue.  firmware version 21.40.2

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community forums to the new users and hello to the ones that have been digging on the forums before. I'm sorry to hear that you have been having the same issue with your Alta's/ 

@Kaileysmom, I'm sorry to hear that you feel frustrated, please note that in your case it might be because the tracker hasn't been set up as @Rich_Laue kindly mentioned.The tracker doesn't show any information until it's set up, so please do so if you haven't done so and also try restarting the Alta.  

@Cedzmom thanks for the details about what happens when you unplug your Fitbit. As a case has been created for you please wait for our customer's support e-mail they will do their best to find a solution for you. 

@205831 sorry to hear that yours doesn't comme on even when the battery is full. Have you tried restating? If that doesn't work we will see on creating a case for you too. 

@Sawyer66 thanks for restarting the tracker, and for all the troubleshooting that you've tried. As the logo showed it might be sing that the tracker restarted, can you please try unpairing your Alta and setting it up again to see if this works? You can try this to see if it helps, as you contacted customer support they if this doesn't work I advise to contact them again as they can see on the system what it's wrong with your device. 

@Jean1972 thanks for removing the Alta from your phone, sorry to hear that it didn't work, did you restarted the tracker and tried setting it up? does the Alta shows something on the display? 

@hart95 I appreciate all the details that you provided about what happened in your case and what you have done, I appreciate all your efforts. Have you tried restarting and un pairing? 

Please let me know if you have any questions! Woman Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. Yes.  I have unpaired, restarted, reset many, many times.  I only tried the continuous tapping after unplugging the charger because I read that someone else had tried that successfully as well. It does appear that something in the software does not handle the transition from charging "mode" to active "mode".  

Best Answer

Hi, I'm not sure if I am posting to the correct place as I am a new fitbit user (less than 2 months) On reading this trail of posts, I think I may be dealing with a similar problem. My fitbit turns itself off after a couple of hours. When I plug it back in to my computer it says the battery is still half full. It vibrates when I plug it in and it also shows the logo and version. It has only been behaving like this over the last week and I assumed it was a battery issue. But apparently not. I have tried the reset button suggested previously but it is still behaving the same. Can i please have some customer support? Cheers

Best Answer

No I think it's how they get you to buy a new fitbit.

Best Answer

Mine too! Emailed to support team they wrote a long email which summarise I have to buy a new one . No way to repair 

Best Answer

Hi there everyone! Good to see you in the Fitbit Community Forums! 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are still having problems with this. Thanks a lot for your efforts in trying to get your Altas to work. I'd like to help you out!

@hart95 @mcfort I've escalated your case to our Support Team for them to help you out with this. Please, keep an eye on your inbox for more instructions and if you need more help, feel free to let me know!

@Cheryllee228 , I'm sorry to hear that 😕 At the moment, there's nothing else I can offer due to the warranty status. If you need help with anything else, I'm always around!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

Firstly, I am a fan of the idea of Fitbits but the reality seems they simply don't work for very long. I had a Flex2 and loved it until it died about one month out of warranty. Spoke with support and they gave me the 25% off for a Fitbit Alta.

What a hunk of junk.

I ordered it in October and it was delivered just in time for Christmas so it is not even two months old and is HORRIBLE. It never holds a charge for very long, seriously, this thing just shuts down randomly of it's own accord.  It tracks sleep very occasionally and is, in general, a nuisance. I've got a "new" one on the way, sounds like it will be a refurbished hunk of junk.  

Welcomes will not help, the new Alta won't help. I am just very disappointed in what was once a pretty nice thing.

Now it feels like an invasive rash on my wrist. Hulk smash.

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer

Hi there @JohnOII , welcome to the Fitbit Community Forums! 🙂

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having problems with the replacement Alta that you got. Thanks a lot for taking the time to let us know what is going on.

I would recommend keeping an eye on the new tracker that you will get. If you have any problem with it, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to provide further assistance. If you need anything else, I'm always around!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine doing exactly the same.... need help please. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think it is an international result of the latest update...

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community forums @Maggie352 and @Cedzmom ! I'm sorry to hear that you Alta's are doing the same thing. I appreciate the details provided and the feedback. Have you tried restarting them? If you haven't please do so and let me know the results. 

I will be waiting to hear from you both! Woman Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have restarted it several times.
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

i just purchased mine. Charged it up, synced and set everything up. It is literally 3 hours old and will not stay on after I unplug it. It is going back tomorrow. Don't need the aggravation.

Mine is 3 hour old and ding the same thing. Reset it 3 times and still won't stay on. Back to the store in the morning. I guess I don't need one. 

Moderator Edition: Format 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi yes I have tried everything. It still not working..
Have you any idea what the problem is that so many have failed all of a sudden ?

Kind regards

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
Did restart but not fixed

be green don't print the screen
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried all the trouble shooting and nothing still happenes and I use a wll plug.

It just comes on for maby a minuete then turns off

Moderator Edition: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it has something to do with the software update. I had never had issues before and as so many others did I did all the troubleshooting and nothing. But I was told I used it wrong and it is unrepairable. Not happy. 

Best Answer
Mine was under warranty so I returned it. There's so many posts regarding
this that surely fitbit realises that they address the issue!

be green don't print the screen
Best Answer
0 Votes