Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fully charged Alta. Will not turn on unless charging after new update.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The last time I fully charged my Alta, I synced it and realized there was a new update. I updated it and hours later when I tapped it to check my steps, the display wouldn't turn on at all. I tried syncing it and it couldn't find it. I plugged it back into the charger and it restarted, but was fully charged. I've tried restarting it, multiple times. As soon as it's disconnected from the charger and the display turns off I am not able to get the display to turn back on. Which also means it doesn't track any of my steps. I really think the update has made my fitbit completely unusable. 😞

Best Answer
98 REPLIES 98

Thanks for stopping by @mandynicole! This sounds really odd. Please confirm that you have followed these steps to restart your Alta. Also, please leave it to fully charge (this process might take up to 2 hours). 

If this doesn't work, leave it in the charger and try to set it up as a new device. You can follow the steps here in this Setup Guide

Keep me posted with the outcome, I'd love to help you to get back on track! 😉 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine did the same thing..it won't turn on at all. Only shows full battery and nothing else if it's on charge. .I miss my fitbit...

Best Answer

Mine just started doing this. I have tried to restart and it it keeps doing the same thing. 

Best Answer

My Alta is doing this too. I've tried resetting / restarting it several times. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting it to the app, being sure to charge it completely. When I put it on the charger, it shows the logo, the version, and battery status. I can even tap through all the screens - but only while it's on the charger, regardless of battery level. Kind of pointless.

I've had it for a couple years, so it's well past warranty. I loved it while it worked, and I knew it wouldn't last forever, but still... I'm looking for another tracker, and this definitely makes me less likely to purchase another Fitbit.

Best Answer

My Alta started doing the same thing after having to do a hard reset yesterday. Turns off as soon as disconnected from power. Anyone find a solution?  

Best Answer

I am finding the same problem with my daughter's Alta. Tried all the tricks mentioned. Sync's to my phone and the computer but ONLY when on the charger. Once disconnected from the charger, it keeps working until the screen goes dark. Then you cannot turn it on with a tap only by reconnecting to the charger. Did anyone ever find a solution?!?!

Best Answer
I called customer service. They said it’s a display malfunction and there’s nothing they can do. Offered me a 25% off coupon since mine is past warranty.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Dang...thanks.
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is crazy! I thot mine had gotten too hot!! But if everone elses has been doing this too it must be something wrong with the update?

Best Answer

Mine has been doing exactly the same. I now need a new Fitbit but don’t want to buy from the same company. 

Best Answer

Hey! Do you think if they would make a new update that they could make it
start working again?

Hey you guys! I figured out how to fix my Fitbit! Mine has been acting up like quite a few other's were since the last update. Things like not turning on unless it was charging, battery draining very quickly, things like that. Well I thought I had run into the end of my resources...... Suddenly I had an idea when I saw the words "remove this device from your account". I tried it. I removed my alta from my account and then re-added it (while it was on the charger). I had to completely re-set it up, but I'm pretty sure that it worked! It charged up really fast and I wore it all evening and then to bed last night. For now, it still works. I would like to here other's experiences with this.

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer
Tried that...didn't work for me...:-(
Best Answer
Didn’t work for me either. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Sounds good. I hope it works with mine. I’m ready to put it in the bin and never buy from Fitbit again. I will try it today. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Hi I am facing same issue, have tried restarting and re-adding multiple times, but no luck 😞

Best Answer
I’m madly looking for my receipt as it is still under warranty. I’m not too impressed by my Fitbit.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Thanks for the tip, but I had no luck. Is your Fitbit still working? 

Oh, I forgot to mention, I just tried calling the tech help line. They say they are still available at Pacific time, but after holding for 10 minutes it automatically disconnected. Smiley Mad I wonder if their update automatically disconnects us after 2 years as well. ?????

I'm very disappointed. I can't get meeting reminders or text messages anymore. This is very disruptive. I think I'll smash my broken Fitbit with a hammer (just to make me feel better) and start shopping for an Apple Watch that I can't afford just so I don't miss any more important meetings or calls. Smiley Sad 

It was an awesome product for the brief era it lasted. I doubt Fitbit would allow us to revert to the OLD update just so we can use the our Fitbit for another year while we save up for something more reliable. 

Best Answer

No it’s dead. 😥😥😥😥

I feel much the same. I was looking at Apple watches on the weekend. I don’t really want one but if I am going to buy a Fitbit every couple of years I may as well have one.

Best Answer

I deleted fitbit from phone and did hard reset. been 2 hours so far and it's still on. Fingers crossed.

Best Answer
0 Votes