Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9.0 (Pie) not able to sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/6/19

Hello everyone! 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions we'd like for all of you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort.

Fitbit Update: 2/14/19

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your reports and patience with these Android 9.0 syncing difficulties. We’re aware of this ongoing issue and have been working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track as soon as possible. 

I'll let you know if I receive any additional information on this matter. 

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18 

Hey Everyone!

Our team is still working on implementing a longterm fix for syncing with Android devices on Pie (9.0). 

For the background syncing issue, I have posted an update in the other floated thread which you can find here

We released Fitbit for Android version 2.80 today which contains improvements for that syncing issue. 

I'll make sure to keep you all updated with more information, as soon as I have it available. We're still working on this and I really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Fitbit Update: 9/26/18

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 9/10/18 

Hi, everybody! 

Thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on improving syncing for those on Android Pie (9.0). They are actively working on this and for the time being, I recommend you keep the Fitbit app updated on the latest version for best syncing results. Right now that is version 2.78, so if you're not on this version please update! Also, another troubleshoot we recommend is performing a restart on your phone. 

When there are more improvements made in the future I'll announce them here. Stay tuned and subscribed to this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 8/19/18

We have escalated these syncing issues for those who are now using Android Pie (9.0) to our team for investigation. There aren't any updates at the moment, but rest assured we will keep you informed in this thread when more information is available.

Thanks for your patience! 

Fitbit Update: 8/11/18 

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76.1 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
2,479 REPLIES 2,479

I just updated to  version 2.76, and still have sync problems.

Best Answer

Thanks for escalating Aless.

I started this discussion thread before realizing this discussion thread (that I'm posting in here) existed: maybe these should be merged?

Anyway, as I mentioned in the thread I started: I already have fitbit version 2.76 also.  Unfortunately I still have the problem of the heart rate not being synced across from my Charge 2.  Steps sync, and sleep appears to also sync fine: just not heart rate data.

I noticed something odd though that I don't believe happened previous to Android 9: immediately upon opening the app I see zero steps, and it's only once I give it a minute to sync that my actual current step count is updated.  Not sure if that little tidbit will point fitbit's troubleshooting software engineers in any direction or not, but figured it might be worth mentioning in case it lends any hints as to what's wrong.

Best Answer

I noticed something odd though that I don't believe happened previous to Android 9: immediately upon opening the app I see zero steps, and it's only once I give it a minute to sync that my actual current step count is updated. 

Same here. I can force mine to update by going into bluetooth and "pair a new device," let the scan run, then go back to app and hit update. It shows zero steps and then will sync. PITA. 

Best Answer

I updated the app to 2.76 on my Pixel XL, deleted the device on the app, removed the Zip's battery, put it back after 10 secs and added it on the app. It has been about 20 min since I did this and I am still able to sync. I will wait and see how this goes.

Best Answer

Deleting the 2.75 app and installing the 2.76 app did not resolve my syncing issues. Support recommended that I use the dongle for syncing until a permanent fix is in place. 

Best Answer

The only way I can reliably sync is as follows:

- start the sync on the app (it will say "looking...")

- go to BT settings, choose Pair new device, and select the tracker as if to pair it

- switch back to app

Tracker is found and sync completes.

Best Answer

Thanks mchaceortiz!  

Your workaround (BT settings, choose Pair new device.....) works for me too!  Much easier than removing and replacing the battery every time.

Best Answer

Exactly. Works the same way for me

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue wrote:

When .having a sync problem, the app needs to know what tracker to sync. Removing your tracker from your Fitbit account is the best way to add problems. People need to stop doing this. It is like throwing the key away, when having problems unlocking the door. Let's review some of the steps that have to be helpful. 

Rich is exactly right....... you guys need to listen to him 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use just the Fitbit app (no tracker) with a Pixel XL and I can confirm that the step tracking stopped working entirely when I upgraded to Android 9. It no longer registers any steps at all. Updating to the latest version of the app (2.76) doesn't help.

Step tracking worked fine on Android 8.1, except for the issue where it didn't always show the correct step count in the app until you gave it a minute to think agree opening the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here, Pixel 2 and Pie update. "Tracker not found" consistently since. I got it to sync after restarting my Flex, but it only worked for that brief moment. Frustrating... Haven't upgraded from flex because it still works, and I'm not inclined to buy something new if my phone is not on the compatible list. Am I done with fitbit?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got little bit different behavior of my devices.
Pixel 2 XL, Android 9, Fitbit App 2.76

My old Flex could sync once after the OS updated then the app was showing the sync error. When I reset and unpaired/paired my Flex it could sync again. Once. Then stopped syncing again. I thought that Flex died and got Flex 2 yesterday.

Flex 2 has been paired and synced, counted my yesterdays steps and night sleeping. Today the app is showing normal synchronization but the steps count is 0.

Best Answer
0 Votes

UPDATE: after the lunch walk it synced and correctly updated "miles" and "minutes" values in the app but steps is still 0.

Best Answer

UPDATE #2: the data in my case is syncing! I see the steps, calories and minutes with plausible values on the web interface ( https://www.fitbit.com/activities ). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has anyone tried turning off the new adaptive battery in the pie settings? I am planning on trying Fitbit again. I have noticed since turning this feature off, Bluetooth connections are a lot better. Since adaptive battery closes out unused apps, thats what I am thinking is the issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I and at least one other has tried that. There was no change.

Best Answer

I am having the same heart monitor problem on my Pixel XL w/ Charge 2. But I am also losing the steps as soon as it goes to the background. It eventually gets it all back after I bring it back to the foreground, but it tracks real-time heart rate. If anyone is not able to connect to your Pixel, clear the cache on the fit bit app and and forget your device under Bluetooth. Restart the phone and re-pair the device. That's what I had to do, but I still have the sync issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had to do a weird workaround to get my Alta HR syncing with my Pixel XL on 9. What I did was:

1. Delete the Alta HR from my account.

2. Delete the saved bluetooth connection to the Alta HR in my phone. 

3. Install the Fitbit desktop app on my computer.

4. Set up Alta HR on my Fitbit account through the computer app.

5. Open Fitbit app on my phone and it began syncing again. (I may have had to establish the bluetooth connection on my phone again, but now it works)

For me this was the only thing that worked.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@alienz_exist wrote:

For me this was the only thing that worked.

Tell us tomorrow please if it still working next day.

Best Answer
0 Votes
See my previous post. Switching off adaptive battery made no difference for
me
Best Answer
0 Votes