Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 GPS distance inaccuracy after 2.66 - RESOLVED w/ 2.67.1

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/12/18

Hey, there!

I wanted to check-in with everyone as it seems that GPS distance and accuracy has improved with version 2.67. Thanks for letting me know that its better!

Today, we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.67.1. Please update the app and let me know how it goes with this version. As always, we recommend updating whenever there is a new app version released as this ensures your tracker works as expected.  

If this continues even on the latest version, I'll need to gather some more specific data from some of you to pass this along to our engineers. Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update: 2/21/18

Thanks for all the responses! Smiley Happy

As mentioned, this issue with Connected GPS has been escalated to the appropriate team for investigation. I would really appreciate everyone's patience in the meantime. When a fix is in the works, I'll make sure to update you all here. Stay tuned for any updates! 

Fitbit Update: 2/16/18

Thanks for all the great information, everyone! I have merged in some additional threads to get one unified conversation. 

I really appreciate you all taking the time to share the details of your current experience with Android app: 2.66. I understand how important accuracy is to all of you. This has been escalated to our team for review! I will provide updates here in this thread when more information becomes available. Thanks for your help. 

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for reporting and bringing this to my attention. Sorry to hear that you are all getting inaccurate distance measurements after recording GPS Runs with your Charge 2. 

Please help me narrow down and confirm the following:

-Did this issue begin with the last Fitbit for Android app version: 2.66?

-Is this distance discrepancy also happening with Mobilerun or only when using Connected GPS

-Which error message are you seeing on the tracker, if any? 

If you haven't already, please try a restart and take a look through this help article for more troubleshooting suggestions. Let me know if this changes anything or the same issue persist! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

It's frustrating because fitbit won't even replace the tracker. I've only had it since December.

Best Answer
0 Votes

wrote:

It's frustrating because fitbit won't even replace the tracker. I've only had it since December.

I think this issue is software related to the last app update. As we all seem to have had this after the new app update a few days ago.

Best Answer

I installed version 2.66 on February 8, 2018. I have the latest firmware from my Charge 2 which is 22.22.55.2. I started by first walk with the new version on 2/9. I started the Bluetooth connection on my phone with High accuracy. I started the "Walk" activity on my Charge 2. I walked about one hour, and noticed I accumulated only 2 miles. This is about 1/2 of what it should be. Since updating to the new version it has been shorting me 41-50 percent of my total miles. Going into Google Earth, I calculated the number of miles for each of my walks: Repeating top section 3x --> 4.38 miles Repeating top section 4x --> 5.23 miles Here is a tabulation of results over the past two weeks: 2/2 (3x) 4.38 miles 2/4 (3x) 4.45 miles 2/7 (3x) 4.39 miles 2/9 (3x) 2.03 miles 2/10 (4x) 3.09 miles 2/11 (3x) 2.65 miles As you can see, there was a dramatic drop in the number of miles walked starting 2/9 which coincides with updating to v2.66 of the application. Before this date, the Google Earth and application results were very close. It appears to be calculating the number of miles incorrectly when using the GPS. Because of this miscalculation, my average pace has gone from 22 minutes to around 38 minutes per mile. I have not changed my walking pace so there is definitely a bug somewhere. Thanks, Wade

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity.

Best Answer

Reporting the same issue. I've always found the app to be a little flakey with regard to the connection between the Charge 2 and the phone/GPS (for Connected GPS purposes), but - until the most recent update - when it worked it at least recorded the correct distance.

Since the update to v2.66 (5th Feb 2018) the tracker consistently under-records the length of Connected GPS bike rides. I have been cross-checking with Strava, which also uses the phone GPS, and this verifies that GPS is working fine (a ride recorded in both Strava and Fitbit will now be a good 30-50% 'shorter' when measured by Fitbit as compared to Strava. The rides are my daily commute and I've done them many hundreds of times so I know that the Strava distance is correct.

I notice also that since the update there are various 'jaggies' on the map recorded by Fitbit when using Connected GPS - the route suddenly veers out in a straight line and then veers back to where it was. Looks a bit like a sword/spike on the map. The jaggies are only little but happen perhaps 4-5 times over a 4-7 km ride. Indicative of 'lost' GPS / connection? (NB the GPS is still functioning fine as these jaggies don't appear on the corresponding map as generated by Strava). Clearly something is wrong with the interface between the Charge 2>Fitbit app>phone - this needs resolving ASAP.

Best Answer

wrote:

I notice also that since the update there are various 'jaggies' on the map recorded by Fitbit when using Connected GPS - the route suddenly veers out in a straight line and then veers back to where it was. Looks a bit like a sword/spike on the map.

... and if you get Strava to correct the distance it seems to add the "Jaggies" to the total distance making the route too long. Pure conjecture on my part, but I think Fitbit maybe removing the distance around these "Jaggies" because it thinks they are anomalies. As you have pointed out doesn't do it on Strava (Or as I have found it also doesn't do it on Fitbit live track)

Best Answer

Having the same problem with my Charge 2 and Samsung Galaxy 7. It's since the last update, driving me crazy. Just got back from a 3 mile walk and it's told me I've only done 1.94 miles and it's a walk I've done for years so know exactly how long it is. Thought my steps on my challenges were down a lot in the last few weeks, now I know why!

Best Answer

Regarding my regular lunch route: I do know, using several phones and different apps, together with sources like Google maps that the correct distance is actually 2.0-2.1km and not 1.5km. And based on the previous spread along the tens of recorded midday walks I am pretty sure these results are wrong. Sure, I can take 0.1 or 0.2 and say it was a GPS issue that one time. But everybody consistently is getting 25% or more off. That is not a coincidence anymore.

Best Answer

Same problem here, although it seems to work correctly when I'm running. But When I'm walking it seems to record the distance in miles instead of kms (I use metric units). When zooming in on the activity map, it is also way off, with turnarounds etc. Been happening since 8th February (last update).

Best Answer

Does anyone know if fitbit see these messages or are we just telling each other our issues with it? 

Best Answer

I tweeted them and received the following reply 

"Thanks for reaching out. We are already aware of this issue and our site team is currently working to correct it. We apologize anyway for the inconvenience since it affects on how you monitor your activity data. Meanwhile, we don't have any exact time to share on when it will be resolved but it will eventually be corrected anytime soon. let us know if you have any other concern"

They seem to like putting extra words in when they really weren't needed. I will be going back to monitoring my runs using Strava. 

Best Answer

I've noticed the same thing... Started getting this "check connection" message on the watch at the same time the distance measurements became inaccurate.

Best Answer

I contacted support last night about this.  After some time to review my problem and check my exercise records, they started that this is a known big and they are working on a solution.  They did not know when it would be resolved, but they indicated that it should be "soon." In the meantime, they recommend tracking distance/pace in the app, rather than with the Connected GPS.  

The app works, but does not allow me to check pace and distance during my run on my charge 2--have to pull out my phone, which is annoying (and a bit today for my phone).  I'm hoping they resolve this in the next update.

Best Answer

Sorry for typos:

"Known bug"

"Risky for my phone"

Best Answer
0 Votes

Me too! The distance is suddenly cutting 1km off the exactly same route and approximately the same step count 🤔

Best Answer
0 Votes

HI there @twade52, awesome to see you have joined the Fitbit Community! I was reading you have noticed a drop in your distance after the latest update of the Fitbit app. I'm wondering if you can share a comparative screenshot to have a closer look of the issues you have described?

Meanwhile I would like to recommend a series of troubleshooting steps for the app and the Fitbit tracker. Start with restarting your Charge 2. For additional instructions this post will guide you through.

Now with your phone, since you mentioned about updating the app to the latest version recently, let's try this: Log out from your Fitbit app and go to your phone settings. Access to the App manager option and look for the Fitbit app in your downloaded apps list. Once you are there, clear the app cache and data and proceed to "Force Stop" the app. Finish the workaround by restarting your phone. When your phone has initialized, go back to your app and try again.

This drop of distance can be affected by external factors too, so make sure to review the following:

• Your phone can identify your location and can track your location when you're not using Wi-Fi.
  • The Fitbit app is open on your phone or running in the background. Do not force quit the Fitbit app
  • Also A weak GPS signal can be caused by environmental factors such as tall buildings, dense forest, steep hills, or even thick cloud cover. All of these factors can interrupt the connection between your tracker and GPS satellites.

If you're still having difficulty, try these troubleshooting steps:

1. Open the Fitbit app to reestablish a connection with your tracker.
  2. Reboot your mobile device.

Hope this helps and if the issue persist, feel free to post again.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

in case anyone is keeping an eye this thread while working on a solution, same problem using pixel 2 phone. this AM it logged my 5 mile jog as something like 2 miles, despite GPS mapping the route correctly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank goodness it's not just me.  I had this problem last year.  

- Problem Syncing and connecting for connected GPS runs
 - Incorrect distances reported
 - discontinuities in the plotted map.

I had gotten a new phone in September and that all went away and I was thrilled.  As of a few days ago it all returned and it's driving me crazy to the point I am thinking of ditching my Fitbit, which I love.

I am using a Charge 2 with LG X Charge.

Best Answer

I have those discontinuities in my mapping as well.  Ugh!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RobertoME
I am experiencing this same exact problem too.  Since last week.  Like many other users are reporting.
I do not have a screenshot to show you, but, if you look at this thread
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Wrong-distance-measured-since-last-week/m-p/2543369#M677...

at user @stevej75 posts.  He posts a screenshot that demonstrates the exact problem I am having...

- Problem Syncing and connecting for connected GPS runs
 - Incorrect distances reported
 - Discontinuities in the plotted map.

I had gotten a new phone in September and that all went away and I was thrilled.  As of a few days ago it all returned and it's driving me crazy to the point I am thinking of ditching my Fitbit, which I love.

I am using a Charge 2 with LG X Charge.

Best Answer

Not sure how I would attach a screenshot from my phone.  But I have the same problem.  I ran 3.5 miles today, and it is showing as 2.6 miles, for quite a slower pace. I did not lose connectivity, and my route map looks perfect. I copied that same route into muliple other applications and got 3.5 miles. Also makes me doubt the accuracy of the device for the long haul. Disappointing. 

I have the Charge 2 and Galaxy S7. This is a recent problem as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes