Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data usage increased - RESOLVED 7/13

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 7/13/2018: This issue is now resolved, please ensure you are on the latest app. Thanks very much for your reports. I'll be closing this thread for future replies. 

Fitbit Update 07/11/2018: Thanks for your ongoing patience as we worked to resolve this issue. We released an update to the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.74.2, that we believe addresses any remaining concerns related to this issue. Please update the Fitbit app as soon as possible.

In addition, all of your Fitbit data synced and remained secure during the issue and none of your data was sent anywhere else. We take our obligation to safeguard your data very seriously and are sorry for any concern that this error may have caused.

Fitbit Update 07/09/2018:

Great news, everyone! Today we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.74.1 to all users. This app version released improvements for the issue you are all currently experiencing with an increase in your phone's data usage. Please update the app as soon as possible!

Please let me know how it goes after updating the app. I would like to hear you all confirm that your data/battery usage levels have decreased. 

Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update 07/08/2018:

Hi, everyone!

Thanks so much for your reports of this data/battery issue on your Android devices. 

Our team is still actively investigating the cause and we will keep you updated with any new information. We really appreciate your cooperation in the meantime and hope to get this resolved soon. 

Fitbit Update 07/06/2018: 

Hey everyone -- First off, thank you for all of your reports. We are working to resolve an issue which can cause the Fitbit app for Android to consume a large amount of mobile data. In the meantime, uninstalling and re-installing the Fitbit app may help resolve related loading & crashing issues. Thanks for your patience!

I will make sure to keep everyone updated on this issue when I have something new to share. Thanks for your patience, more updates to come soon.

Fitbit Update 07/05/2018: Community members have reported an increase of mobile data by the Fitbit app on Android devices.

I've made our Android team aware of this and they are currently working on getting this issue resolved. When I hear an update on the status of this issue, I will make sure to let everyone here know what I hear.

Thanks for your reports and continued patience.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
638 REPLIES 638

Recently I noticed a very significant increase of mobile data by the fitbit app. The app uses about 2Mb an hour. All day sync is off and 2Mb an hour equals about 50mb a day equals over 1.5Gb a month 😲... That is a lot of internet data for doing nothing. Why?

Best Answer

Hi, @Jappie, this has definitely not been my experience.  That sounds like a lot of data!  

I would suggest temporarily turning off all notifications as well as all day sync and then checking your data usage.  I do not think that it can be the Fitbit, but please let us know wwhat you discover.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

From Jun 4 to jul 2 fitbit has used 1.73 gigs of data for me...my fiancé is at a similar amount!

I have a galaxy s9+ with sprint and she has an IPhone 7+ with att.

?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just confirmed on mine.  It has run through 229 mb in the last 4 days.  That's insane.  I've been on wifi for over a majority of that time as it was a weekend.  That means that in the little bit of time today and Friday, I racked up 229 mb of use.  That's only two days!!!!

This is new.  It used to use up only a fraction of that.  As a temporary fix you can turn off background data use in the app settings.  That should stop it from using data unless you are actively in the application.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had the Ionic since October and my Mobile data hasn't varied over that time..  It's always typically what is shown in the screen shot.. When I was using the Surge and the Blaze no different..

By the end of the billing cycle the mobile data will be typically 2.5gb. This is 50% of the shared data with my son.. I have just upgraded my phone and a cheaper monthly plan and I noticed I now have 10gb of shared data.. a bonus...

I have all notifications, weather etc and an very active email account. I do turn the phone off at about 11pm and then on again when I awake.  There have been no alarm messages from my Telco provider about excess data so I feel it's the norm.

data usage.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

As requested from a dev that messaged me (yay hope!), here are a bunch of antennas of my data usage. Since I did uninstall the app during my troubleshooting process, the data usage shows up under the uninstalled apps category.

The week before the last update where I was actually away from WiFi for extended periods of time.The week before the last update where I was actually away from WiFi for extended periods of time.

Data usage after the update during a 5 day span.Data usage after the update during a 5 day span.

Supporting evidence from built in Android data tracking.Supporting evidence from built in Android data tracking.

WiFi data usage when I barely open the app more than a couple times a day.WiFi data usage when I barely open the app more than a couple times a day.

All the WiFi data is used in the background for some reason even though all day sync is off.All the WiFi data is used in the background for some reason even though all day sync is off.

This is actually an earlier screenshot from June 21st. It just shows how data is being used in the background even though the toggle clearly states it shouldn't be allowed to.This is actually an earlier screenshot from June 21st. It just shows how data is being used in the background even though the toggle clearly states it shouldn't be allowed to.

Best Answer

Today with 30min no Wifi 2.1 Mb usage by the fitbit app with bluetooth off. This sucks and need to be fixed ASAP. I do not want any mobile data usage by fitbit. This is really a major issue!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had a Versa for 3 weeks now. Everything worked perfectly for the first 2.5 weeks but since the weekend the phone battery drains about doubly as quick as it normally does. 

What can have changed? I'm not aware of the app updating 

Best Answer

@JappieUnfortunately the Fitbit Servers will always be the first port of call from your App. I only sync occasionally when away from a WiFi connection. I don't have "All Day Sync" set. When I'm home I have the Android WiFi on and the Android will always use WiFi priority over mobile data . If the internet goes "down" it will then revert to mobile data.

On my new phone, of which I haven't cut across to this Fitbit account yet, it's happily syncing via Bluetooth and WiFi, no sim card, no mobile data with another Fitbit Tracker.  Because the new phone is not on the Compatibility list I'm testing..

I rarely sync while out because the data I need is on the Ionic.  I  haven't noticed any background processing with the App closed. Unless I'm missing something.  This link from @SteveH  goes into some of the issues with Location and syncing etc..

@Jappie wrote:

Today with 30min no WiFi 2.1 Mb usage by the Fitbit app with Bluetooth off. This sucks and need to be fixed ASAP. I do not want any mobile data usage by Fitbit. This is really a major issue!!!

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit (mobile) data usage has also become ridiculously high in the last week: about 300 MB in the last week. As far as I know, I haven't changed a setting.

It is really problematic since my subscription only offers 1GB a month (which is normally perfectly fine for me).

Yet another Fitbit/Ionic problem...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39 Hi, I am never syncing when on mobile data. Bluetooth was off, so the app is no even aware of my Ionic. Also background data usage for the app is off and still using 2.1Mb in half an hour. 

So yes, you are probably missing something.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got the exact same issue, but my Fitbit app used >700MB in one month! That is really ridiculous... I got the first warning around 500 and switched of background data usage, but it still used more than 200mb... 

I will upload a screenshot later today

Best Answer

Hello Fitbit-Support: DO SOMETHING! This is a serious issue

Here exactly the same: The Fitbit App consumed 50 MB duing the last 2 hours!

This problem started three days ago.

My data protocol :

6/26: 26,9 MB

6/27: 30,4 MB

6/28: 24,8 MB

6/29: 35,7 MB

6/30: 83,2 MB

7/01: 388 MB

7/02: 259 MB

Best Answer

@JappieI was referring to Fitbit data. The other Apps on my phone including Weather, plus Google doesn't help with it's data backup.. When I tap Settings and App data there are many Apps that can consume Mobile data when out in the field. Unfortunately it's the way I use my phone, but over a month the Mobile data is consistent @ 2.5gb/month.

This includes 3 email accounts and 3 bank Apps and Fitbit Pay, because I'm a carer for some elderly relatives. Also a heavy SMS activity because these relatives can't afford to use their mobile phones for calls. With  all of that activity I'm amazed at how little Mobile data I use.

I have Google Play Store set to auto because I'm happy with my mobile data use because that prompts if I'm not on WiFi.. So Android have some inbuilt help for us....

I will keep an eye on it for the next hour and see what transpires and repost...

I can appreciate you not wanting to consume your Mobile Data and I respect that.

@Jappie wrote:

@Colinm39 Hi, I am never syncing when on mobile data. Bluetooth was off, so the app is no even aware of my Ionic. Also background data usage for the app is off and still using 2.1Mb in half an hour. 

So yes, you are probably missing something.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just encountered the exact same problem just this morning. My phone battery drained quit abit, and my mobile data usage increased by about 400mb within a couple of hours.

Not sure what's happening too!

Best Answer

Have you installed other apps?  

You phone one should have a utility that tell what is using the extra battery. 

The Versa apps should no be draining the battery unless you have it on auto sync and it does not use that much power. 

Best Answer

Hmm, no i didn't. I did check and the app that is using the phone battery is the Fitbit app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My phone was saying that it was the FitBit app using all of my battery

I've just uninstalled the app. Before uninstalling it, the battery went down 20% in an hour. After installing it, it's gone down 1% in the next hour, so it is definitely the app causing it

Best Answer

Exactly the same issue here!
Past 2-3 days the app is sucking all the battery from my phone! I've had the versa for more than a month and haven't changes setting in a bit and now my phone can't keep it up.
This needs to be fixed asap

Best Answer

I've only had my Versa for a few days but it was fine on Saturday and Sunday, then yesterday I got my phone telling me the app is using all the power and draining my phone.

Did they do an update over the weekend or something?

Never had this issue with my Charge 2 or Alta o.0

Best Answer