Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data usage increased - RESOLVED 7/13

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 7/13/2018: This issue is now resolved, please ensure you are on the latest app. Thanks very much for your reports. I'll be closing this thread for future replies. 

Fitbit Update 07/11/2018: Thanks for your ongoing patience as we worked to resolve this issue. We released an update to the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.74.2, that we believe addresses any remaining concerns related to this issue. Please update the Fitbit app as soon as possible.

In addition, all of your Fitbit data synced and remained secure during the issue and none of your data was sent anywhere else. We take our obligation to safeguard your data very seriously and are sorry for any concern that this error may have caused.

Fitbit Update 07/09/2018:

Great news, everyone! Today we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.74.1 to all users. This app version released improvements for the issue you are all currently experiencing with an increase in your phone's data usage. Please update the app as soon as possible!

Please let me know how it goes after updating the app. I would like to hear you all confirm that your data/battery usage levels have decreased. 

Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update 07/08/2018:

Hi, everyone!

Thanks so much for your reports of this data/battery issue on your Android devices. 

Our team is still actively investigating the cause and we will keep you updated with any new information. We really appreciate your cooperation in the meantime and hope to get this resolved soon. 

Fitbit Update 07/06/2018: 

Hey everyone -- First off, thank you for all of your reports. We are working to resolve an issue which can cause the Fitbit app for Android to consume a large amount of mobile data. In the meantime, uninstalling and re-installing the Fitbit app may help resolve related loading & crashing issues. Thanks for your patience!

I will make sure to keep everyone updated on this issue when I have something new to share. Thanks for your patience, more updates to come soon.

Fitbit Update 07/05/2018: Community members have reported an increase of mobile data by the Fitbit app on Android devices.

I've made our Android team aware of this and they are currently working on getting this issue resolved. When I hear an update on the status of this issue, I will make sure to let everyone here know what I hear.

Thanks for your reports and continued patience.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
638 REPLIES 638

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fitbit.FitbitMobile&hl=en_IE 

Apparently there has been an update of the app on July the 2nd.
And they obviously f***d it up!

Best Answer

I am.having the same.issue!  Just got my versa back from a warranty repair and so much data use!  Was the app "updated" in June.  I.dont remember this issue when I first got the versa in late may.

Best Answer

Here are my screen shots, in case they help. Please note the dates, 590mb of data since June 14th. Also  I think I may need to spend less time on instagram..

Screenshot_20180703-074735.jpg

Screenshot_20180703-074758.jpg

Best Answer

Yeah, I got an update yesterday. Ever since, its been draining my battery and data like crazy!

Anyway to prevent data drain without deleting the app?

Best Answer

It's still continuing.  My Fitbit app is not even actively running and it still used 25 mb in the last hour.  No notifications, no synching (I have all day turned off), and no other updates.  I haven't touched the watch or the app and it used 25 mb.  Something is wrong and it needs to be fixed ASAP as some people carry data limits or overage charges on their data plans.

Best Answer

I will have to concede, my Fitbit App has consumed 33% of a months usage. I have multi Fitbits and Notifications. So the top Apps have consumed 80% of my mobile data for  month.

I will turn off back ground data and see how that affects my Fitbit use.

Screenshot_20180704-002628.png

Screenshot_20180704-003550.png

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

The data usage of Fitbit is indeed crazy. In the last 8 days (that's when the counter is reset in my tracking app) Fitbit has used 300 MB (mobile) + 500 MB (WiFi) = 800 MB.

This is completely crazy of course. Perhaps one of the Fitbit representatives can reply to this thread?

But they probably suggest to reset the Ionic... 

Best Answer

I just called Fitbit.  All they could tell me is that the "apps" are constantly trying to sync data and will use up your mobile data if not connected to wi-fi.  I told them that I have had the same few apps for months and this was not the issue.

I have deleted all of my apps and am still watching the data use climb steadily by about 1 mb every 2-3 minutes.  If even went up by over 10 mb while I was on the phone with them!

She finally asked that I send screenshots to fitbit support to show them the use.  I tried to tell them that I am not the only one and that this only started in the last several days.  But it wasn't much use. 

If you disable the app you will stop receiving all notifications.  So beware of turning off the background data or disabling the app.  You have to keep those options on to be able to receive notifications.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm confirm, my phone got a same problem and data usage in background by fitbit app around 900 MB.

Please find a root cause and fix.

Best Answer

Just some more proof that the app is running like crazy in the background (and destroying my battery). Won't be able to stay logged into this app if I can't even get through half a day without charging.

Screenshot_20180703-102937.png

Screenshot_20180703-102941.png

Best Answer

I just sent Fitbit support this email (along with screenshots I won't include here) per their request.  Hopefully they resolve this super quickly.  It can't be the applications as I only had a few.  And it's still climbing even after I deleted them.  It's also not notifications as I have only had a few texts during the last hour.  

Please note the following screenshots showing massive amounts of data usage. I am including a few shots over the last 30 minutes. I have deleted all applications, closed the Fitbit app on my phone, and it continues to climb steadily. I seem to be averaging roughly 20 mb per hour. 

I also tried deleting the Fitbit application and reinstalling it this morning. I turned off all day sync and turned off all notifications other than calls and messages. Due to deleting the application, my data use says "removed apps" instead of Fitbit for all data except today. So note all the screenshots showing the name Fitbit are from today. Note the times and how quick the data is going up. 

For example, at 10:19 today my data use shows 50.25 mb. This is up from 42.23 at 9:48. That's 8 mb in 31 minutes. At 9:13 it was at 29 mb. That's 21 mb in just over an hour.

I also am including a picture showing the 240 mb of mobile data the app has used since 6-28. Note it says removed app because I reinstalled the app this morning. This amount along with my wifi amount adds up to a usage rate of over 2 gigabytes per month. That is insane. Formerly it was using less than 200 mb per month. 

I am not the only one. There is a long thread on Fitbit ionic community forum about this. Whatever was done with the application around late last week, it needs to be fixed.

Please note many people pay for data overages. This could be a huge issue to Fitbit if someone doesn't fix it asap. Like I said, it only just started recently.

Thanks and please let me know. 

Best Answer

Same thing for me, happened this weekend with massive battery drain.

Screenshot_20180703-114210.png

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer

This happens here with my Versa, too. Only two days, 45 MB Mobile Data, *and* 748MB WLAN. Unbelievable.

See https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Too-much-mobile-data-usage/m-p/2804248/thread-id/78003

2018-07-03 18.16.09 Mobile Data.jpg

2018-07-03 18.16.41 WLAN.jpg

--
// Fitbit Versa 2, Sense
Android App
Best Answer
0 Votes

@RobertoME wrote:

Note that this numbers are among the normal range.

Sorry to say that my experience during the last years' usage of more than 12 smartwatches and trackers, proves that you are wrong.

--
// Fitbit Versa 2, Sense
Android App
Best Answer

Happened here too, last month I used .25 mb last month and one week into this months data cycle I used .64 mb and didnt change a thing. I uninstalled the app until fitbit can fix it my battery was getting destroyed.

Best Answer

I have an Ionic, and this last weekend I also started having this problem. I have been pulling my hair out trying to track this down. The fitbit app is always using the most battery. I used to lose about 1% per hour in standby (like over night) now it is up to almost 10% per hour.!

Best Answer

I have the same issue from couple of days. Moreover my XZ2 compact is always hot on the rear.

My Fitbit app is in Italian and the version is 2.73 installed the 13th of June.

Probably Fitbit has changed something on the server side not on the app. 

Best Answer

OK, I just tried an experiment. I charged my phone up to 100%, and uninstalled the fitbit app. In the last hour, my phone has discharged only 1%, just like it used to. The only use of the phone was to read 2 emails. I will watch this all day today, but I pretty convinced that it is the app that caused the problem. (or their side).

By the way, my phone got hot also...

Best Answer

Fitbit Update 07/05/18: Hey everyone -- I recommend uninstalling and then re-installing the Fitbit app. Let me know if you continue to experience the issue after attempting this troubleshooting step.

Hi everyone!

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and for raising the flag that the app is using more data in the background. We have passed forward all your feedback and this issue is now under investigation to prepare a fix in the future.

If you are experiencing this behavior, feel free to let us know and don't forget to provide the following details in your posts, it would help us out:

• Phone you're using (Samsung Galaxy S8) 
  • The Android OS your phone is running (Ex. 4.4.4)
  • App version you are on (current version is 2.73)

I will keep you updated on the progress of this issue and thank you for your patience while our team investigate further.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Hi everyone, welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community to those new freinds and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and for raising the flag that the app is using more data in the background. We have passed forward all your feedback and this issue is now under investigation to prepare a fix in the future.

If you are experiencing this behavior, feel free to let us know and don't forget to provide the following details in your posts, it would help us out:

• Phone you're using (Samsung Galaxy S8) 
  • The Android OS your phone is running (Ex. 4.4.4)
  • App version you are on (current version is 2.73)

I have merged some of your post to this thread, including yours @altann and @wollid, so you can be aware of all the progress regarding this issue.

I will keep you updated and thank you for your patience while our team investigate further.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer