Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Unknown Caller ID w/Android Pie (9.0)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18

Hi, Android Pie users!

I'm aware that many of you are still receiving your call notifications as "Unknown Caller."

I'm sorry for any trouble this issue may be causing. I've gone ahead and escalated that the problem persists. When I hear of any updates from our team, I will provide them here.

Thanks for your troubleshooting efforts and for reporting. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103

Same issue here. The problem persists from August, all the updates didn't fix the issue. Google Pixel 2 XL on Android 9 with fitbit Blaze.

Best Answer
0 Votes
This topci says the issue is fixed with app version 2.78: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/RESOLVED-quot-Unknown-caller-quot-calls-with-Android-9-0... It is not. I have 2.79 and I still get no caller ID notification on my Pixel XL (first version) and FitBit Blaze. I have reset, resynce, disconnected and reconnected the fit bit, enabled and disabled bluetooth, etc. I even have version 2.29 of the app. I have set all permissions in Settings -> Apps -> Fitbit, and still nothing. The same problem as in the thread I linked above occurs: No caller ID when the call is coming in, but I see the caller ID if the call is missed. This is the second FitBit I have owned. I got one a few years back and now I remember why I put it in the drawer -- they just do not test well enough. I am trying to be calm, but this is upsetting. The Blaze wasn't cheap, but was still cheaper than an Apple watch. But now I may be seeing why. I will give this watch a bit longer, go through all the troubleshooting steps AGAIN, and if it doesn't work I am done with FitBit. After all, "fool me once, shame on me -- fool me twice, well....."
Best Answer

Hello @matemik. Welcome to the Forums @nmanicka.

Thanks for sharing your experience and for trying all of the steps that have been suggested.

I will be sharing this information with the team. At this moment we do not have any news on the matter but we'll be sure to let everyone know the moment we receive any updates.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

I have this issue too. I'm on custom rom ArrowOS (android pie) so this is for sure a problem with compatibility on Pie.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner It's great to see that you've visited the Fitbit Community! Sorry to hear that you aren't getting call notifications on your Blaze and thank you for troubleshooting this issue. Try going to your phone's bluetooth settings and remove all devices listed there. Restart your phone and restart your device. After this try syncing them. Also, since you are using an Android device, check that your app has the necessary permissions (settings > apps > Fitbit > permissions) and make sure bluetooth and location services (GPS) are on.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

Ok, contrary to another thread that says this has been fixed with 2.78, it hasn't. Same as before... Caller ID says unknown. All permissions enabled, fresh install, reboot. Pixel 2, Android 9, Charge 2.

Was working fine with Android 8.1 on same phone

Best Answer

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18

Hi, Android Pie users!

I'm aware that many of you are still receiving your call notifications as "Unknown Caller."

I'm sorry for any trouble this issue may be causing. I've gone ahead and escalated that the problem persists. When I hear of any updates from our team, I will provide them here.

Thanks for your troubleshooting efforts and for reporting. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply, AlvaroFitbit.

The only other device in my Bluetooth area is my vehicle. I'm not removing it. I shouldn't have to, and if I have to choose between my truck and my watch -- well, the truck stays.

Another FitBit app update happened last night. I powered off the watch and phone and started them up again. Still no dice. I have reinstalled the FitBit app, removed the FitBit form bluetooth and then started over. When I run the app and connect the watch, the phone prompts me that for security reasons I have to hit "OK" to a couple of prompts about reading call logs, etc. But it still doesn't show the caller ID when the phone rings. Again, it WILL show the caller when I git the missed call notification.

Something is wrong here. I can appreciate the problem is hard to find. But I cannot fathom why it wasn't found during the 6-12 month Android P Beta period. Surely someone at FitBit has a Pixel XL 1 and a Bluetooth vehicle connection? If it's working, what are their settings? What kind of car? (Mine's a 2007 Toyota, if that matters.)

But I will not remove my truck connection from my phone because the truck is where I need it connected the most. If the watch can't work with the truck, the watch is what gets replaced, not the truck.

Thanks again for your help, though.

Note: When I use the "Send a Test Call Notification" -- it shows "Test Call" on the Blaze. I assume then all connection stuff is wired appropriately. But it still can't notify me of the caller ID while the phone is ringing.

---- Minor Issue ----

Another side problem is that has occurred since resetting everything earlier this week is that the watch vibrates and shows "Unknown" for the caller ID. Then usually during the phone call, it starts buzzing a SECOND TIME with the same notification for the SAME call. Is anyone else getting notified twice for the same call? Even during the call? And it still shows "Unknown" for the caller ID?

Best Answer

Hello @SunsetRunner.

Thanks for sharing all of those details and troubleshooting on your own.

As mentioned above, our team is aware of this situation and as soon as we have any news on the matter we'll be sure to let everyone know and post about it in here.

In regards to the second thing that you mentioned, it could be related to the same situation with the Unknown Caller message. Since you have already tried all of those steps, I'd recommend that we wait until there are any news in regards to the Unknown Caller situation.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

I think this is more of an issue with the Phone application, or how Pie generates the incoming call Notification intent to other clients. I use Join https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.join to share my phone notifications to my Tablet, PC, and TV. Those notifications also have an Unknown caller id, so I think the Fitbit application is simply showing what it is receiving via the Phone publish to interested clients.

I have checked permissions for both Fitbit and Join, and they do both have Callogs and Phone permissions set.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @walker14.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insight on the matter, it does sound very interesting!

We haven't received any updates so far but we'll be sure to post about them as soon as we do receive anything. 

If you have the time, be sure to visit one of our Discussion boards. Lots of different topics to talk about with other users.

Let us know if you have any other information to share or if you have any questions.

Best Answer

I am aslo having this issue. Charge 2, pixel xl

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @Pipboy2000.

Thanks for sharing those details.

If you haven't, be sure to please download the latest version of the Fitbit app. You can click here to read more about it. 

Whenever we have any news on the matter we'll be sure to let everyone know.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions you could have.

Best Answer

First, thanks for your continued efforts on this issue.

Secondly, I have moved to an alternative solution. Though I am still interested in the outcome, and sure that FitBit will eventually solve the issue, I have had to move on to a quicker solution.

Thanks again for the support and interest.

Best Answer

Hey @SunsetRunner.

Thanks for your understanding! 

If you have the time, please do share what has worked for you, if you managed to get the notifications in your Fitbit in some way. I'm sure that other users would appreciate the help if you did get it to work in some way.

Feel free to let me know if there are any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LanuzaFitbit: I moved to another device by another manufacturer. I switched both my watch and phone, and no longer have the Pixel or Blaze.

Best Answer

I have a charge 2 and have tried everything from turning notifications off to uninstalling the app, nothing works.  Very aggravateing, sometimes it vibrates a few minutes after I have already taken a call. 

Best Answer

Thanks for continuing to follow up on this issue. I have a pixel that is running android pie and a charge 2. I have checked the permissions and am still getting an unknown caller. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the app a couple of times. Please fix soon. I have the fit bit app 2.80.1 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, it appears a fix isn't coming for unkown caller issue. I was going to upgrade to the charge 3 but decided to move on to another tracker (not Fitbit). I've been a Fitbit user for years but am tired of issues taking forever to get resolved.

Best Answer

Hello everyone.

At this moment we do not have any updates on the matter but I'll be keeping my eyes open. The moment we get anything we'll be sure to let everyone know.

We appreciate your patience and understanding through this matter.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes