Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria can't connect to my new wifi

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently had to change out my wifi router.  It is the exact same type as my previous router that was connected to the scale but for some reason this scale will not connect to the new router.  Oh it was a nightmare connecting the scale to the first wifi as well, but I am over it.  !!!!! I have been trying for three days.  Shame on you fitbit for putting out such subpar material.  some one needs to tell me how to fit this setup or I want my money back.  My scale is saying that it has detected the networks but my network does not appear to connect to it.  I should have bought a Withings scale. uggh.

Moderator Edit: Title change for clarity

Best Answer
429 REPLIES 429
Likewise.. bought a weight watchers from Kmart at 1/3 the price and works like a charm.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I realize this is years later, but I was able to do this by following the instructions here: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1158 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mobile device. It recognizes network and goes as far saving ang joining then it flashes wifi err. I have been at this for week.

Best Answer

Same here. I am so over it. When I contacted Customer support, they told me to do the same things I had already been doing, and it still hasn't worked. In addition, since I bought my scale in 2018, it's no longer under warranty so I am just out and have to buy a new scale. Does anyone know if Aria 2 works, or is it the same disappointing crap?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would steer clear of any scales from Fitbit. They are not of the same quality of their watches. I have an ionic which works like a charm but who ever designed the rubbish arias must not be in the same league!! By a we scale , one third of the price works every time an customer friendly readouts . The app is great and syncs with iHealth. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I don’t know because I refuse to give them more money after they conspired to make a $200 scale a paperweight so folks had to buy new ones

~Lisa Mac 🐝
Best Answer

I posted this workaround in this thread two years ago but I think it got lost in the mess so I am reposting it in case it might help someone.

I think I figured out the problem everyone has been having connecting their Arias. After many hours of trying, (I recently switched to Comcast) I clicked the "Contact Support" link in the downloadable app. It then created logs to send to support so I decided to look through those myself. I found that the scale was trying to connect with an IP of 192.168.240.1 which is not even close to what my home network is. So I took a second router I had around and connected it's WAN port to my provider's router's LAN port and set the IP of the new router to 192.168.240.1. I then used the wifi from the second router to connect the scale and it went through fine. Evidently the Aria can only connect to a network on a 192.168.240.X network IP. I know it will be hard for non-techies to use this information but hopefully it will help someone.

Yes this is a crap design and from what I have read, the Aria 2 has the same problem. Fitbit could have done a software update to fix this but they don't seem that concerned. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can't connect to wifi ughhhhhhh 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Need more info and maybe we'll be able to solve your problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I got a Fitbita aria air and I can’t connect to WiFi as the setting mode doesn’t show up .

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Aria 2, I think yours is connected via Bluetooth so I have no idea how to connect it.  If it's like other bluetooth it should show up on your iPhone in Settings/Bluetooth.  Sorry that's about all I know.

Good luck, someone else who has connected this scale should be able to help you.

Stay safe,

Jerry

Best Answer
0 Votes

What finally worked?  Mine has been offline for 2 months, it just won't sync. It keeps getting stuck at "Joining WIFI"

Best Answer
Throwing it in the garbage was my solution. #Ariaisgarbage

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer

To everyone following this thread.  If you can't connect it to your wifi (little x when syncing) it's because these Aria scales don't support wifi networks that aren't broadcasting on 802.11b networks (late 90's early 2000's)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#802.11b

I had the same issue when I upgraded my wireless network in my house.  All my devices continued working except for the scale.  I fixed this issue by setting up an ancient wireless network (on 802.11b) to support my crap Aria scale.  

In the past 20 years wifi has come a long way and devices using 802.11b have been left to the wayside as many new wireless routers don't even support these devices anymore.

I have 3 Unifi access points throughout my house that broadcast on 802.11AC, my scale is too old and stupid to communicate with newer wifi.  I literally had to setup two wireless networks in my house so that everything else can get the fast wifi, & the scale by itself can connect on crappy 802.11b (capped at 11mbps).

Example all of my 23 Wifi devices connect to:

SSID: MLCFiber running on 802.11AC.

My Aria Fitbit Scale by itself connects to:

SSID: **ahem**FitbitNetwork running on 802.11b

I then disabled the SSID broadcast for the "**ahem**FitbitNetwork" SSID so that nobody will see it when they search for wireless networks, it's basically just reserved to host my Aria Scale with it's fantastic 802.11b - 11mbps throughput (sarcasim)

This allows for the Fitbit to use the slower older late 90's radio standard that it was built using. 

Long story short, if you don't know how to adjust your wireless radio in your router to make it stupid slow, using the 802.11b standard from 20 years ago, this will never work.

Also it would seem really silly to limit all your devices in your house to 11Mbps when you have hardware that supports 433 Mbps.  Why would you want to make all of your newer nicer wifi devices slow down by a factor of 40x slower anyway?

802.11b (old) 802.11ac (newer most current wireless routers)

802.11b2.4 GHz

11 Mbps

802.11ac2.4/5Ghz

433 Mbps

Sorry Fitbit folks for exposing the "real" issue here, but it's not fair to just keep linking the same old documentation to folks who will never benefit from it.  

I would have to imagine if you ordered a new scale, they are surely making them now on the newer wireless radio standard, although I can't say for sure because I haven't got a new one to test.  I got my scale probably 4-5 years back and this is the scenario I found myself in.

I'm a System Architect for a fortune 500 company, and I doubt many folks in this forum have the background to troubleshoot this issue.  Hopefully this brings the "real" issue to light.

So in closing, go ahead and throw your scales away if you are not interested in setting up a second wifi radio specifically for this older Aria scale.

Cheers!

Best Answer

This infographic does a good job of explaining it:

https://www.lifewire.com/wireless-standards-802-11a-802-11b-g-n-and-802-11ac-816553

Look at the "Pros & Cons" graphic and at the bottom right when looking at 802.11g (802.11g is old, but not as old as 802.11b) you'll see it call out that 802.11b devices being the slowest/oldest standard still in use.

If you have newer network equipment, you are likely running 802.11ac or 802.11n.

All of this 802.11 talk is referring to the IEEE standards (Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers) which is basically the association that defines wireless standards that your home wireless routers use.

Best Answer

I have sent far mor than an hour on 3 nights in a row trying to connect to my new WiFi after moving.  I have tried every set of instructions I could find on this blog and the net for that matter.  Nothing works which is truly sad.  We bought this scale when I was finally released after my last round of surgery’s and months spent in 6 different hospitals.  I used this scale to track my recovery and supply metrics to my Doctors.  For the most part it worked fine for a long time.   Now having survived all I went through, all that data collected will come to an end and I will be starting over on another platform.

More than frustration and disappointment, I’m sad to have reached this point from just moving.

Fitbit unless you have a magic rabbit to pull from your hat this is goodbye 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for you explanation. It seems to be summed up to old scale running on old tech and new tech, in its factory settings, will not be recognized since there is no support for it. This is good. I can stop hunting these forums for an answer. Im seeing the need to buy a new scale now after 5-ish years...any recommendations?

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you still have your old router you can set it up as a slave (I'm running mine this way) and get your scale to go to the old router wifi and everything else on your new router.  If you want to try this let me know and I'll give you advice on how to set it up.

Jerry

Best Answer
0 Votes

This worked for me. The key was disconnecting the ethernet cable from my laptop. I spent a good hour trying to figure this out and the fix was something simple. After my scale was setup, the Fitbit setup page still said "trying to connect" or something similar but it did actually sync. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the unifi ap's as well and I have  2.4 using 802.11b/c/n broadcasting and it still doesn't connect..I'm going back to withings

Best Answer