Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 Tracking Extra Floors

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

14 floors so far today. Same problem as Versa by the looks of it🙁 Only walked up 1 small flight of stairs. 

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity

Best Answer
157 REPLIES 157

My husband and I both have charge 3, just purchased a couple of months ago.  We went hiking over the weekend, first at Carlsbad Caverns and then at City of Rocks (NM).  Walking back up out of Carlsbad Caverns, the elevation is about 800 ft (known data).  My Charge 3 recorded 73 flights, his recorded 96.  We started out the same and were never apart for the whole walk.  At City of Rocks, we went on a hike that has a 500 ft nominal elevation gain.  Overall gain was actually 643 ft due to ups & downs on the trail.  This was verified by Strava and by the topo map.  My Charge 3 recorded 63 flights, his recorded 88.  Again, we were never apart; we made the hike together and checked our fitbits at the start and again on return.  At the start there was only a 2 floor difference.  ???  It isn't a show-stopper but it's annoying.

Best Answer

I guess I’ll add to this thread, played golf today: in a cart, fairly bumpy and a little hilly but ended up with 69 floors, the drive home was another 30, then a little yard work and now I’m at 121 floors....

After 2 flexes, a charge (that earned me another one free when the band separated) and a Fitbit One pocket fob that all worked great, they finally came up with a waterproof one! Unfortunately the one thing it’s SUPPOSED to do, count steps and floors, it now doesn’t do as well as previous versions......

HEY FITBIT ENGINEERS! WORK ON THIS, THE THREAD IS REACHING 4 PAGES....

Best Answer

I had a random 36 extra floors today but we also had 23 mph wind.

Best Answer

Thought I'd add to the mix.  I got my charge 3 in October - only in the last week and a half has the floor count gone crazy.  I sometimes don't even go up stairs in a day - haven't yet today and I already have 9 floors.  I topped out at over 75 one day last week - and only actually went one flight.   Per suggestions from this thread, I just did a restart from the device (not plugged in), we'll see if that works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem here with my Charge 3. I’ve tried resetting the device several times and setting up as  new device, to no avail.

It’s strange.. looking back in my history, in October and November after I first purchased the device it recorded 2-30 floors per day.. a normal amount and probably quite accurate. Then it started recording more and more and more, and in recent weeks it has recorded 100-200+ floors per day, every day.

I even started wearing my suunto watch at the same time, and the suunto records very accurately. But it’s large and cumbersome to wear, which is the whole reason I started wearing a Fitbit. 

I’ll go up and down the stairs, walk around the house, go up and down the stairs again, and repeat this 5 times or so. The Suunto records the actual number of flights, and the Charge 3 says I went up 20-30 flights. How isn’t Fitbit not addressing this issue?!

Wearing a Fitbit every day, all day long is a great way to judge calorie burn rate, as well as track steps and climbing over time. But when this data isnt accurate it defeats the whole purpose of wearing (or owning, or purchasing) a Fitbit device.

FITBIT- PLEASE ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM!!

Best Answer

I just got 41 floors on my Charge 3 while driving to work. Fitbit, fix this issue. No more "Oh, try resetting your tracker." Fix the software. 

Best Answer

I have had a Charge 2 for a few years without a problem. My husband got me a Charge 3 so that I could wear it during my swim. My Charge 3 is doing what others have described, over counting stairs and steps. Do I need to return it?

Best Answer

I rode my motorcycle for 47 min the time it took me to drive roundtrip to where i was going. I have a charge 3 and it says i did 57 flights of stairs and that i did it on outdoor bike. Should i put watch in saddle bag or purse so it doesnt detect wind? Will this stop from counting so many flights of stairs?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Read the "fix" solutions and it isn't working. My Charge 3 is continuing to log copious amounts of stairs. I normally might get between 10 - 13, in the past 5 days I have logged as many as 50+ after a walk.

I'd really like a fix for this.

Best Answer

Adding my name to the list, it's not every day,  but I'm getting 10-20 floors when I haven't gone up any stairs. It is March and windy though, so maybe that's a factor? 

Best Answer

I have finally come to the conclusion that the newest waterproof Charge 3 is a seriously flawed product that can’t or won’t be fixed. In addition to the numerous floors mine counts, the other day I barely walked any and drove 4 hours....at the end of the day I had over 12K steps and 63 floors, most all earned I suspect while driving my truck pulling a trailer. Was the truck’s ride too rough for the tracker and it thought I was pounding up and down like walking? Where did the 63 floors come from? As a comparison my wife is now wearing my old Fitbit One fob, that same day with me she recorded 3500 steps and ONE floor climbed....

Fitbit started out with a great product and great customer service (my first Charge had the separating band problem and was promptly replaced!), now it seems they either couldn’t care less how their products perform or folks who have them like the extra credit they get while not putting in the effort to earn it...”look at my stats today, I climbed 100 floors!!!”.....

Best Answer
I agree fully. The other day I was comparing stats with a friend who wears an older Fitbit and he’s like ‘there’s no way you climbed 220 floors today!!’ And all I could say was ‘you’re right, I didnt’. So him and I were both left wondering why I’m even wearing the device when the tracking metrics and resulting calorie burn is way, way off. I could roughly estimate my daily steps, floors, and calorie burn much more accurately than my charge 3. Pretty sad Fitbit won’t come out and acknowledge this and offer a refund/rebate/discount/actual solution.
Best Answer
The solution I found was to install DriveFit on my phone. Activate it when you get in your car, stop it when you get out. It subtracts all that extra nonsense. 
Best Answer
0 Votes

How is that a solution to a Fitbit problem?

Best Answer

This email appeared in my inbox earlier this afternoon and now the post has been removed. Maybe they have given up trying to fool us with the occasional support reply that offers nothing useful?

Hello @SunsetRunner, @ShaunMcGill @13maria @tallgeoff I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around. Thanks for joining the Community @arg58.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the delay in the response. I appreciate you have taken the time to share your feedback with us about this situation affecting how your Versa counts floors. Please note that some issues take longer than others to be resolved but once we have more information to share with you, we'll make sure to post it here in the official Forums.

@arg58, thanks for sharing your experience with us about the discomfort you experience while wearing your Versa, at this moment I've contacted our Support team on your behalf to look into this issue further and provide you with some options. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for further instructions.

In case you need anything else, please feel free to reply as well. Happy stepping.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think FitBit should fix this.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
These posts have been about the Charge 3 nit the Versa. I may have to return my Charge 3 as the stats are not helpful. I had high hopes because I wanted to use it for swimming. My swimming stats look pretty realistic but not the steps or stairs.
Karen

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Both devices have the exact same problem. Have owned both of them and they appear to have the same flawed sensor. 

Best Answer

Thanks Shaun. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

UPDATE

After much negotiation I obtained a new fitbit device and unfortunately it is exactly the same as the first one.  Continues to count floors which I have not climbed.  This is a hardware problem and therefore cannot be fixed by fitbit by simply doing a software update I'm led to believe.  Basically fitbit would have to issue everyone with a new device after they figure out how to fix the sensor problem which they are not likely to do given the losses they would suffer.  My only consolation is to not recommend it when people ask.  Extremely disappointing given I have been a loyal customer for more than 10 years.  

Best Answer