Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Charge 5 Firmware Release - Version 1.171.50

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update for Charge 5. Some of you might already have this update available. If you installed it, let us know what you think!

We release updates to customers in phases. If you don’t see it, check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers. 

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

See What's changed in the latest Fitbit device update? for release notes.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step-by-step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, see Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
1,125 REPLIES 1,125
Check your cable. Where you plug it into the charger, you will likely see a round circle on one side. That is the button.
Best Answer

Works fine after update but no clock faces.

Best Answer
I’ve been looking at other brands. Reply if you find something worthy
Best Answer
0 Votes

During the latest update, my Charge 5, stopped responding and has no screen display.  The phone app can find it but there is no tracker response.  Is there a fix for this problem?

Thank you.

Best Answer

So glad you asked the question! It’s the one I should have asked as I sit here with two new unopened Charge 5’s. 

Best Answer

Very happy to report that the battery issue appears to be fixed with the firmware upgrade. Until a few days ago, I was having to charge it sometimes more than once per day. Since the update, I haven’t charged it, going on four days now. Still at 69%! Thank you!

After perusing this forum, I’ll have to look into some of the additional available features. 

Best Answer
Thanks. I shouldn't have to tho. I just bought this charge 5. I need to do
better research. Garmin is literally 4 blocks from my house. Thanks for the
tip.
Best Answer

Totally!! I honestly can’t get over the lack of support on this. We all have unusable watches and are told to just wait. It’s absolutely ridiculous 

Best Answer
Garmin. Wish I'd known.
Best Answer

I’m still waiting but after these replies I’m not holding any hope that my watch will work. I’ve had it for 5 months and 2 months unusable, but it came with the premium subscription free for 6 months. Therefore, will Fitbit be extending this as half of that time I haven’t even worn my watch as it dies!! I mean a little gesture right now would be a start! 

Best Answer
Never again. I am sorry for your loss tho.
Best Answer

You should be less excited after reading through the forums. We can all see the cut and paste responses to the many that are experiencing issues. After reviewing everything in this forum, making a few posts of my own as well at troubleshooting my own issues, I've come to several conclusions.

The Fitbit charge, if you just look at the watch features by itself, is impressive in what it can do.

Here is where I see the problem and what I think is causing all these failures.

It's not the watch, it's the app.

I think that many of these watches are not updating properly because it depends on a direct connection to the phone by Bluetooth. The same technology that has been consistently failing across all Fitbit products. It's not just this watch but all of them and the scales. There are multiple posts spanning multiple years about connectivity issues. The response is almost always about resetting the watch through a series of steps of which they all involve the connection with the app. There used to be a time when I could connect a device directly to the computer and update it through that connection instead of the Bluetooth connection. I could even sync the watch with Fitbit directly through that connection.

When I look at my phone and see that my Bluetooth is turned on and the app tells me to turn Bluetooth on, it's clear the app  has no idea what state the phone's Bluetooth connection is in. During setup of the watch, the app finds the watch, indicates it's connected and then fails somehow to pair the watch properly. It takes repeating the process of "pairing" several times before it finally takes.

Having an android phone, here is the definitive set of steps that based on my experience with FitBit, should cover everything.
Step 1: Scream as loud as you can to get the frustration out early, then delete the device from the app.
Step 2: Go into your app settings on your phone and clear data. (not cache, the data will clear out everything including your info.)
Step 3: Uninstall the app.
Step 4: sigh in frustration but remember you've already screamed this out.
Step 5: plug the device into it's charging device.
Step 6: Reboot the phone
Step 7: while the phone is rebooting, reboot/reset the watch. This varies by device. See notes on steps for Charge5 below.
Step 8: When the phone comes up, go into the Bluetooth menu, make sure the fitbit device is removed from the list.
Step 9: Turn Bluetooth off then back on. (this should disconnect the phone from any other devices it might be connected to)
Step 10: Download and install then sign back into the App and re-add the device . Sometimes after you get the number to input for pairing it will fail to connect. Just hit the back button and repeat.
Step 11: If this should fail to get the watch connected. Repeat everything from step 1 again and then call Fitbit on the phone.

Notes:
Fitbit customer service over the phone has actually done a pretty decent job of getting things fixed or setting you up to get a new unit.
Charge5 reset can be done by either pulsing the button on the device charger 3 times with one second pause in between each push, or there is a reboot option in settings.

I would highly suggest that the FitBit engineering team take a look at how the app communicates with the phone as well as the device itself. It appears to me that there are indicators that the malfunction starts with some kind of failure in the app and then that failure cascades to the device itself making it appear as if it's a firmware issue.

Meanwhile for anyone that has a failed update, call Fitbit directly. I would infer that the systems FitBit has for tracking customer service issues, might illuminate the problem more clearly if they suddenly get an influx of calls.

For those of you that have had it with Fitbit. Check out the Garmin Vivosmart [ https://amzn.to/3bd8Fhb ] It's similar but not as colorful.

Best Answer
You are obviously waaay more savvy than me. I just want a tracker that
works seemlessly. Charge 5 is not it.
Best Answer

I quite fancy one that lasts a solid 24 hours!! 😂

Best Answer
0 Votes
That would be okay.
Best Answer

Had the same problem 

very disappointed in fitbit charge 5 

Best Answer
WOOHOO!!! great to hear some positive feedback
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got notified that the update is available for me to install on my Charge 5. After reading everyone's comments on the problems they are having with the updated firmware I'm afraid to install it. My Fitbit has gotten stuck and had to be restarted twice but other than that it's been working pretty good. That's why I'm afraid to update. The old saying, "if it's not broke don't fix it." seems to apply here.

Bill

Best Answer
I agree
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Drew-The-Geek, that's an interesting analysis. I always keep bluetooth on my phone turned off as having it on and the fitbit syncing all the time drains the phone battery. I turn bluetooth on, for the minimum time necessary, only when I want to sync and download data, which is 1-2 times per day. The app has always been correct in whether it thinks the connection is on or off - in fact it routinely shows a banner saying "bluetooth is off - turn it on to sync". If I go to my account page to sync without having turned bluetooth on, it asks if I want the app to turn it on. If I have already turned bluetooth on, it will be already syncing by the time I get to the account page. But perhaps you are right that the bluetooth connection causes problems for some people. 

Best Answer