Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Charge 5 Firmware Release - Version 1.171.50

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update for Charge 5. Some of you might already have this update available. If you installed it, let us know what you think!

We release updates to customers in phases. If you don’t see it, check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers. 

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

See What's changed in the latest Fitbit device update? for release notes.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step-by-step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, see Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
1,125 REPLIES 1,125

Exactly.  Only happened after the firmware update. Very annoying because it happens more than 30 times a day! like you, I DO NOT WANT to use the FitBit Pay.

Best Answer

This firmware update broke my device. First the screen went black, so I reset it using the 3 press method. The clock is now visible but frozen on that screen, and swiping doesn't work. The battery drains immediately if it is not on the charger. I have tried to reset again, but it is effectively unusable now.

Please help!

Best Answer

My Charge 5 (which I loved) has become useless since the firmware update. If it charges the charge lasts for maybe 8 hours. It continues to randomly get locked on various screens (charging screen, payment screen, relaxation screen) swiping, tapping, nothing works to leave a screen. I don't even have to be using the screen, just swiping through and it sticks. I've rebooted both phone and fitbit, unpaired and repaired, uninstalled and reinstalled app and nothing works. It was working great until the update. Very disappointing!

Moderator edit: word choice 

Best Answer

Good luck with help. Got the same message I have been receiving since end of June in email from customer service. Help would be nice.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I called customer support with my case number. Got the mailing label same
day. Mailed next day. That was last Wednesday. Waiting now.
Best Answer

I have called, emailed, and requested supervisor. I have been told that mine has not updated which it does not show the latest update and not sure if I want to update. But something they did caused my Fitbit issues line everyone else has reported and everyone experienced this about the same time. I am going to give a little more time and see what happens. I want stop until it is fixed or replaced.

Best Answer

My Charge 5 won't sync after the firmware update.  I've done every debug trick I can find and yet it just keeps rebooting and killing it's battery.  It's less that a year and there is a 1 year warrant.  Please time me how I can return it for a new one or money back.  I've looked all over the FitBit site and can't find a way to return the actual watch, only a way to return the band!  Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

So I did the upgrade about a week and a half ago.  Most everything seems fine except for the occasional GPS drop but the number reported is close enough to my bike computer to live with.  Sleep and heart rate on the watch is working as expected.  have not looked to change watch face.   

Best Answer

Warranty is for repair or replacement at their discretion.
I’m most unhappy.
--

Moderator edit: removed personal info

Best Answer

Thanks Doug - but how doe one get one started?  I assume I'd need a return authorization number and an address to mail it to.

Best Answer

@DougHansell repair or replace isn't the same as do nothing and tell you to wait for another firmware update.

Best Answer

This is the 2nd firmware update in row that has trashed my Charge 5. 

In late February 2022 a firmware update bricked my device and it wouldn't even power on. After this firmware update - the battery goes from 100% to 0% in about 30 minutes.  I called support and was told this is a known issue - just wait for another firmware update! I pushed back hard and they offered to swap it out; however, they want me to send my device in first, then when they receive it they will ship another one.  I don't have days or weeks to wait to replace my device.  I've had a Fitbit for 11 years and I am very meticulous with my fitness goals and data collection. I am not waiting days or weeks for a replacement unit. 

I've also been waiting for new clock faces since the unit was released. I even made posts on the community forums about the desired clock faces.  It has taken almost a year for them to do anything with new clock faces. 

I went and bought my 3rd Charge 5 since October today while I wait for another replacement unit.   It seems that since Google acquired Fitbit the quality has really gone down hill.  This is my LAST Fitbit purchase.  

I will figure out how to download and migrate my data to another platform.  I'm DONE with Fitbit.

Best Answer

2nd time in 5 months for me.  The firmware update in late Feburary bricked my device then too.

The software development and DevOps team is trash. They should find new careers.

Best Answer

How can you "be excited" about this latest firmware update?  Have you seen the threads here?  You're bricking devices AGAIN!  The least you could do is remove this post and advise users to hold off on the update.  

Best Answer
If your current Charge 5 is under warranty, you may be able to get the replacement by sending a video vs. sending the Fitbit. Check with them.
Best Answer

Of course I'm getting it replaced.  That isn't the point.  It's the 2nd firmware update in a row in which they have had to replace my device.  

Best Answer

@radesix Exactly that's the point! They had to replace your device amongst the devices of a few others.
I understand your anger. But even what you've experienced doesn't mean that this update is pure crap, because thousands and thousands of other Charge 5 are working as expected after the update. But their users don't post in this forum.

There must be some issues during the update process. Maybe the update is interrupted in a critical stage due to your phone dropping BT connection for any reason. But we shouldn't put all the blame to Fitbit.

Talahthas, Fitbit Community Council
Charge, Charge HR, Blaze, Versa, Versa 2, Charge 5, Versa 4, Aria, Aria 2, Pixel 4a, Pixel 7
Best Answer

There were no issues during the update process.  It completed successfully - then the rapid battery drain began.  Device was activated in March of 2022 and was easily holding a charge for 5 to 6 days.  After the update - 30 minutes tops.

I am a software engineer and have been for 30 years.  I've been a Fitbit owner since 2011.  I can assure you, this firmware update is bad and Fitbit as a product has deteriorated significantly since Google took over.  

As for the firmware update BEFORE this one (in February), yes it stopped in the middle of the update and bricked itself.  Completely dead. Black screen. No power. 

I can absolutely place the blame squarely on Fitbit. Customer support acknowledged as much on the phone this morning. The software QA team should have caught this.  This one is bad... they are bricking LOTS of devices and it seems the update is still available for download.

Best Answer
@jingo99

I think you have to contact support and they will email you a return label. Of course you have to talk them into doing it too. I think somebody else in this thread talked about doing it, maybe yesterday.

Bill
Best Answer
@radesix

In this day and age you know why they want you to send your device in before they send you a replacement. There are so many people who would never send their "defective" device in. In fact some would try to make a scam out of it and keep reporting "defective devices" and get them replaced. All the extra devices would then be sold on eBay or Craig's List or Facebook.

I can appreciate that you don't want to be without your device with all the time and energy you have put into recording and saving your fitness activities but I'm sure you see how easy it would be to scam them if you weren't required to return your device first.

This sure would be a better world if everyone were honest and truthful but unfortunately that seems to becoming further and further from the reality of the world we live in.

Bill
Best Answer