Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Charge 5 Firmware Release - Version 1.171.50

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update for Charge 5. Some of you might already have this update available. If you installed it, let us know what you think!

We release updates to customers in phases. If you don’t see it, check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers. 

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

See What's changed in the latest Fitbit device update? for release notes.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step-by-step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, see Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
1,125 REPLIES 1,125
When I saw the Update button on my 6 week old phone, I pressed it. Even
though the update failed, the immediate result was that I could not sync or
charge. I followed some of the steps in these posts and was able to restore
sync and charge functions but the charge only last 2 days now instead of
the previous 7. I have not tried the update again. I just hate this watch.
Best Answer
I’m glad to hear this Sarah. It sounds like they are doing the right thing and that is to replace these units.

At the end of the day, technology will break. We all need to understand that. What’s important is how the company responds to problems occurring with their products.

Denial, deflection, and endless troubleshooting loops don’t help the customer or the company.

I truly hope the management team sees these issues as an opportunity to improve both customer service and software development practices.
Best Answer

Seems to.be fine so far.

Best Answer

With regards to the availability of the new clock face(s), I had posted a few weeks ago asking why a firmware update was required to get any new clock faces, but never got a response. I can also now see the one new watch face (Bloom), and have not installed the firmware update, due to the issues reported with it.

Best Answer

Ok, so what do we do? Mine, like many others on here, worked fine prior to the Update. I now have a charge that only.lasts a couple of hours, a black screen that won't come on and a $180 device that won't sync. None of your "reset/restart" instructions help or work. This Charge 5 is less than 5 months old. I feel like Fitbit needs to send me a New ( not refurbished) replacement, since it's the "Update" that seems to have broken

Best Answer
Great news
Best Answer
0 Votes
I do not work for Fitbit. I am just an unhappy customer awaiting my
replacement. It took a week for them to admit I needed a replacement. It
has taken 2 weeks to return using their shipping label 🤦🏻‍:female_sign:🤦🏻‍:female_sign: THEN
they will send me a new one. Hopefully it does not take 2 weeks. I used the
Twitter customer support then called directly. Good luck
Best Answer

I have done everything suggested here, more than once.  My watch display is black, my battery drains in an hour.

I have a ticket open through Twitter, I had to make a video, showing me trying to reset my Fitbit, using the charger button and swiping, still no display.  It does track steps, if I have it on my wrist, for the hour between charging it.  It gets very hot when it’s draining fast.

I never had even a small issue before I installed the update, it’s so obvious that there’s a major bug, that their developers need to address.

Best Answer

Good description of my problem, Thanks for posting.

Best Answer

So, I posted on here yesterday that my Charge 5 stopped working immediately after the firmware update. Long story short, I got on Fitbit chat and after about 20 minutes of some back and forth, they instructed me to mail back just the centerpiece and, once received, they will mail me a new one. We'll see how the new one works. If it has any issues, Fitbit will lose an 8 year customer.

Best Answer

I am having the same problem even after the firmware update yesterday …..  so frustrating.

Best Answer
Same here. I’m waiting. Their shipping label is the ”walk” speed. It has
taken 2 weeks. I hope the replacement works.
Best Answer

Hoping so much it works out for you !  I feel lost without my Fitbit however it sounds like I also need to start a chat with the help desk as there seem to be no other answers.

Best Answer

Davide,

This is an additional comment regarding my unsuccessful attempts to upload the new firmware. This comment is additive to other’s speculation that a Bluetooth disconnection issue might be among the root causes of the problem.

Multiple times when the Fitbit app dropped the tracker update and started a new download or when it indicated it could not get a Bluetooth connection, I checked the Bluetooth status for the Fitbit device on my iPhone and noted the following:

1. Multiple times the iPhone indicted there was a connection.

2. Multiple times the iPhone indicator cycled back and forth indicating connection and no connection, with no action on my part. 
3. When the iPhone had an initial no connection and I tapped to connect, it would connect and then disconnect almost immediately. 

I have not experienced this Bluetooth connection/disconnection issue with my other devices, several of which are not part of the Apple product line. 

Hope this information is helpful. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m on IOS and the app was updated in the App Store today and now I can finally see one new clock face. Called Bloom. Pretty underwhelming. 

the app notes also mention some fixes for O2 variability calculations so for those having that issues hopefully it’s fixed now. 

Best Answer

After giving up hope, I was surprised to receive a replacement offer from Fitbit today. They gave me two options. Replacement of existing device or 50 % off a different device. Fair enough I thought and decided on the replacement. Hopefully I will get it in a reasonable amount of time. Better late than never I suppose. For those still in limbo it seems that there's hope 

Best Answer

Yup I'm in the same boat. Watch worked before the uodate, now maybe 5 hours of a charge. The update broke my Charge 5.

-----------

Don't: whatever else you do, don't update your watch to this new version.

-----------

The first day I updated things looked to be good only for it to go to shut. A full charge only lasted 9 hours, then 5 and a half hours. A full charge stops at 99% which isn't bad but 5.5 hours later the watch is dead again. Hate updating from a version that worked to this one. Fitbit fixs your mess.

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer

We need an update!

My Fitbit charge 5 has been acting weird since the update. It restarts itself almost every half an hour and even does so when I'm in the middle of a workout. It would show me the logo and then a red circle with a cross. 

Also, today it said I had done 9k step and I only woke up (I don't sleep with my fitibit).

I contacted support and they ask me to change the clock face! I feel like they're entertaining us with silly responses instead of fixing this huuuge mistake!

Best Answer

Which clock face are you using that the support suggested you change? So far been using "Slashed".

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was using "Zones" and they asked me to change it to any other.

Best Answer