Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding bar-codes to the Barcodes app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This step-by-step guide will tell you how to add bar-codes to the third-party Barcodes app for the Ionic and Versa.

Step 1:

First, manually sync your watch to the phone app. Syncing should clear the communication buffers to accept new data.

Step 2:

Tap on the device icon located in the top left of the Fitbit phone app.

2135.jpg

Step 3:

Tap on the Apps icon.

2136b.png

Step 4:

Tap on the Gear icon located on the right side of the Barcodes menu.

2144.png

Step 5:

Fill out the name of your barcode. You can use the name of the store.

2145.png

Step 6:

Fill out the barcode number. Leave out spaces and dash marks.

2146.png

Step 7:

Scroll down and tap on the Save button. Your watch should vibrate immediately to show it has received the data.

2148.png

Step 8:

Compare the barcode on your watch with the barcode you are copying. The order of the thick and thin bars should be the same. If they don't, tap "Encoding" and choose another option and see if the resulting barcode looks closer.

tesco_real2.jpg

Troubleshooting:

If you get a "Code too long" error, it means your barcode has too many characters and the app cannot generate a barcode that can fit on the screen. You will need a device with a larger screen (let's hope the next Versa will have a 4.5 inch screen Heart) to fit the whole barcode in it.

Conceptually when a "Code too long" error occurs, the barcode runs off the edge of the display therefore rendering it useless (unreadable). Conceptually it looks something like this for a 17 digit code:

code_too_long.jpg

It is worse for barcodes containing letters, because each letter takes twice the amount of space than numbers. Conceptually it looks like this for a 10 letter code:

code_too_long2.jpg

End of Guide

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity/Format

Best Answer
271 REPLIES 271

@TracZ I hope you're doing well! Thanks for sharing your interest in having more slots to store more cards.

Not sure if there is a Premium version of this app that would allow you to store more cards. It's not a bad idea though, the developer should consider it! Maybe @EmTe has some insights towards this? Smiley Very Happy

See you around! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Would love to see one for QR codes as well. Saves even more cards and going through your phone

Best Answer

Hi, 

Would it be possible to add support for the Code-2of5 Interleaved as well?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you do a step by step for android.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi guys @arcohen0195@AR-Norway, and @SunsetRunner! With third party apps, note that Fitbit doesn't own or maintain third party integrations. So, in this case is recommendable to contact the third party developer to learn more about the functionally of the app or to share some feedback in regards the functionally of the app.

To contact the developer please open their app on the Fitbit App Gallery, scroll/swipe down and under "App Details" you will find the information.

As mentioned above, for anything else you would like to see implemented in the future, consider visiting our Feature Suggestions board. This is a space where Community users can post features, ideas, and suggestions that they'd like to see in future Fitbit products, accessories, and software and top-voted suggestions get relayed to our product team for review. 

We're constantly striving to improve Fitbit products and services, and we very much appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. 

Let me know if there's anything else I may assist you with.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great utility app! Thank you for developing. 

I have a suggestion:

Instead of having to wait for the watch and the app to sync to display the "code too long" message, can the error message be displayed in the app itself? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for jumping in here @AaronioRobot Very Happy As suggested along this thread, for anything else you would like to see implemented in the future, consider visiting our Feature Suggestions boardSmiley Very Happy

I'll be around if you have any questions! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great app, I use it for my gym membership like a lot of people.I was thinking is it possible in a future update to have like a GPS trigger set up in the app to launch the barcode on the watch, so if I go to my gym I mark the location and anytime I go there it will automatically have the barcode ready to scan.... Just a thought!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DatGuyFromTitan wrote:

Great app, I use it for my gym membership like a lot of people.I was thinking is it possible in a future update to have like a GPS trigger set up in the app to launch the barcode on the watch, so if I go to my gym I mark the location and anytime I go there it will automatically have the barcode ready to scan.... Just a thought!

The problem is loading up GPS takes around 5 to 15 seconds to warm up. When you launch the app, finding the barcode yourself may be faster than waiting for GPS. Unless you mean the app launches by itself as soon as you enter the store.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the quick response, yeah I mean the app on the phone would detect as soon as you enter the building and tell the watch to display the barcode automatically. For example I have an Android phone and whenever I go to a restaurant I get a notification from Google to rate it

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for jumping in here @DatGuyFromTitan! Great thought! Consider visiting our Feature Suggestions board. This is the best space to make your voice heard. Man Wink

Thanks for helping out @EmTe!

If there's any questions present, let me know. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've attempted to sync from app to phone a number of times and it just isn't working. The watch doesn't obtain the barcodes.  I followed your troubleshooting suggestions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@chkchk wrote:

Would you be willing to share the code with me?

The Barcode app you mean? It's one of the Open Source apps listed in the Fitbit Repository on Github:

https://github.com/Fitbit/ossapps

Best Answer

Hey there @chkchk, thanks for jumping in here! Smiley Very Happy Did @EmTe answer your inquiry? If not, can you please give us more details about what you're trying to do?

If needed, I'd recommend taking a look at: How do I set up and troubleshoot apps on my Fitbit device?

Let us know if you need further assistance! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done all these steps and it still has not worked. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you!

Best Answer

hi,YenpingL

are u from Taiwan? I am in Taiwan too.can we talk about ionic?

Update: When I use the barcode on ionic, increating the brightness do not work automatically.I have already switch the toggle in the setting page.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @EvaRuth and @gabadeo, thanks for jumping in here! If you've tried the tips and recommendations provided along this thread, I'd recommend  to contact the third party developer. In order to do so, please open their app on the Fitbit App Gallery, scroll/swipe down and under "App Details" you will find the information.

If there's anything else we can assist you guys in the meantime, let us know. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is no way to add barcodes using my computer. My current phone is not that compatible with Fitbit and I had to remove the app from it. Do you have any workarounds? I can install the app using the computer (Windows 10), but not add codes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @SunsetRunner, thanks for stopping by! Not that I'm aware of my friend. For future references, with third party apps, note that Fitbit doesn't own or maintain third party integrations. It's up to the owner of the third party app to implement or update features for their app so in this case is recommendable to contact the third party developer to learn more about future implementations. 

To contact the developer please open their app on the Fitbit App Gallery, scroll/swipe down and under "App Details" you will find the information.

Hope this helps, I'll be around if you need assistance! 

Best Answer
0 Votes