Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food Logging Interface changes

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit update 10/2/18: Thanks for your questions about recent changes to our food logging page. Our team changed the page to the previous version while we address your concerns.

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
339 REPLIES 339

Dear Fitbit,

What is this new devilry?

Just change it back and all will be forgiven.

Love,

All of Us

Best Answer

Right now this new change shows me a red bar for today that tells me I am over my calorie allotment for the day when in reality I am 122 under my limit so not only does it provide less information than the old screen, it's not accurate.

Everyone needs to call customer support as well as complain here. I have

Best Answer

I just came here to say, Please for the love of god change the food logger back to the one before.  It was a 1000 times better and more useful.  Thank you.

Best Answer

Hate the new format! 

Put it back the way it was!

Food log was not broken!

How do we get this message across? 

Moderator edit: format, punctuation

Best Answer

Me too.  This new interface is dreadful.  If it does not change, I will be looking for a new site or app that will work for me.

Best Answer

I used to design websites, print media, and forms, so I'm all about UX and UI. And this problem has gotten me curious, so I looked at it in more detail.

Notice the LOG/SLEEP page. The main focus of the page is a Historical Graph that takes up the majority of what you see at first. The second thing you might notice is the Detailed History listing below the graph and to the left. The last thing you'll likely notice is the small Log Sleep box on the right.

Logging sleep is an easy process, so the box needn't be large, but why is it the last thing added to the LOG/SLEEP page?

Notice the LOG/WEIGHT page. The main focus, again is a massive Historical Graph, the secondary characteristic is the Detailed History, and the third is again the small Log Weight box on the right, followed by a Goal Settings box (when do settings generally reside at the bottom of their content screens?).

It's does makes sense to have historical data visible on or accessible from the log page. How else would you know your entry was properly recorded if it wasn't shown on screen. It doesn't need to be buried somewhere, or hard to get to. It just doesn't need to be the primary focus of a data logging page.

Notice the LOG/ACTIVITIES page (which is still in the 'old' style). The primary focus is again a massive graph. The secondary is a detailed history. And almost hidden way down at the bottom, the data entry box and it's associated Quick Access list.

Though not yet updated, this too is far from intuitive and seems completely backwards.

Now remember the old LOG/FOOD page. The Settings were primarily at the top. There was a small graph to the side that was easy to ignore but useful and accessible when you needed/wanted it. Always useful information like daily macros were front and center, to help manage intake. But the primary focus was LOGGING FOOD, for that day, as evidenced by the first box being a search bar, the largest feature being a list of that days details, and the quick access to favorites, pre-programmed meals, and recents being all just to the side of the primary content.

Seems the LOG/FOOD page was designed for its purpose, the LOG/ACTIVITIES may never have been, and the new LOG pages certainly aren't (I don't recall what they all looked like previously).

Form really oughta fit function. Yo FITBIT, I'd be happy to redesign your site for free. I'm not kidding!

Best Answer

Hmm.  I also talked with customer service (the agent was incredibly nice), and they also said they had no idea the update was rolling out.

There is the possibility that somebody made a mistake and accidentally submitted an incomplete update that wasn't supposed to go out yet.

There is also the possibility that they are running some sort of A/B beta test to get feedback, but honestly I would not consider the update in a high enough quality state to really do that.

If the latter is true, or if it was an actually intended update, it is absolutely unconscionable that the dev team did not give customer service a heads up that this would be incoming.  What the hell are they supposed to do?  How can they help people if they don't know?

What a hot mess.

Best Answer

Yeah rckoegel, like I mentioned before, it seems like the designers have never heard of visual hierarchy.

Best Answer
I tried to enter my food for dinner tonight and cannot get the regular screen. I did use the regular screen for breakfast and lunch. What happened to the screen for food?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I concur.  Please revert back.  I was extremely content with this eco-system.  This new system is horrible.

Best Answer

This is terrible I logged my food for the week too but cant see what I had planned any more or add any snacks

Best Answer

I need to be able to view the macros in grams for individual meals as I was able to before. If I cannot do this I will switch to another food tracking app ASAP. Percentages are nice to have but this is not the level of granularity I need.

The food log was the best part of fitbit--I've converted to another tracker and the food log was all I used. But maybe no longer.

Just change it back!

Best Answer

Just fix it so its usable. Soon.

Best Answer

How do I get the old food logging back!? bring back the old site! I cant see my total carbs pro or fat any more! did you make this change, if its not broken dont fix it!

Moderator edit: Word choice and format

Best Answer

I've used FitBit to food journal for years, so I recorded a written record of each meal in the section where you could type out notes. And that's gone. Years of data gone! I am so upset. Not to mention that this new format is unusable. I can't do fractions! Seriously, FitBit, the problems with the dashboard and food logging have been pretty bad all year (with the loss of ability to populate custom foods in the search box), but this is the worst change yet.

Very unhappy.  

Moderator edit: word choice 

Best Answer

I am going to be very frank. How can Fitbit be so clueless? The update to the dashboard has got to be the absolute worst update that Fitbit has ever made. Do the designers and managers of the dashboard have any clue what they are doing?  Why would you so call ‘fix’ something that is not broken? I get making enhancements, but the changes made are valueless. One of the chief benefits of the dashboard is that it had functionality and information the phone app does not provide. I agree with the comments already made. For me, I am particularly annoyed that I cannot find the breakdown of protein, carbs and fat grams for the day. This is an example of the old dashboard having information the app did not contain.  Unless the so-called enhancements are undone or revised, I likely will give up on the food log and maybe Fitbit all together. I’m very disappointed. 

Best Answer

Seriously!! I'm on the phone with a clueless "advocate" and he's trying to figure out what happened! 

Best Answer

Sometime this evening, it appears that the Dashboard was updated. Sadly, I am no longer able to see the any of the macronutrient grams - only %s of my total intake -which does not work as I am doing Keto and need to see grams. I've looked everywhere, trying to find a way to revert back to the old display/ dashboard...I've come up empty. Please tell me I can get it back? If not, I have to find another tool. 😞

Best Answer

i did an online chat and the person said they just redesigned the food log dashboard about 2 hrs ago.... she said that being able to see the "grams" is still a feature, but she would send me the instructions on how to do it... wth... anyway... i hope it is still a feature otherwise i'll have to say bye to fitbit.

Best Answer

i did an online chat and the person said they just redesigned the food log dashboard about 2 hrs ago.... she said that being able to see the "grams" is still a feature, but she would send me the instructions on how to do it... wth... anyway... i hope it is still a feature otherwise i'll have to say bye to fitbit.

Best Answer