Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80-100K per day loggers

I'm new to Fitbit and I can;t see how people are logging this many steps a day unless that is all they do and have no life. Roughly 50 miles plus per day of walking? Anyone else wonder how this is possible day in and out? I don't think even marathon runners would log this many miles per day. 

Best Answer
189 REPLIES 189

@DoctorJC wrote:
Why bother, and what difference does it make whatever other people say? If it's bogus, that's their problem.

Sent from my iPhone

You may not have the same opinion if you're involved in a challenge and working your butt off to do thirty to forty thousand steps in a day only to have someone in the same challenge claiming eighty to one hundred thousand steps, day-in-and-day-out, with no data to back it up.

Best Answer

First of all, the person with whom I most often compete is myself.  Occasioanally, I may enter a friendly competition with a real friend (ie. not a Facebook friend).  If you are looking for medals, badges, and/or special recognition from someone else, ask yourself why it matters.  You know what you have done.  You know how you prepared, and what you have accomplished.  If you didn't meet your own expectations, seek advice from someone who is knowledgeable and trustworthy, and then, try again.  All that matters is that you keep trying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DoctorJC wrote:

First of all, the person with whom I most often compete is myself.  Occasioanally, I may enter a friendly competition with a real friend (ie. not a Facebook friend).  If you are looking for medals, badges, and/or special recognition from someone else, ask yourself why it matters.  You know what you have done.  You know how you prepared, and what you have accomplished.  If you didn't meet your own expectations, seek advice from someone who is knowledgeable and trustworthy, and then, try again.  All that matters is that you keep trying.

While what you write may well be true for you (and by the way, me as well), there are many folks who are spurred on by healthy, and dare I say it, fair competition.  Personally, I think all challenges should come with ground rules or classes; say, an Unlimited class where anything goes (including cheating), then maybe an All Walker class, or say a Runner class where roughly half of the steps should be from running miles.  You get the idea; just helps to create a level playing field for those who love challenges, but don't love being smoked by someone working the system.

Best Answer

I think most of us would like a fair test of our abilities. That won't happen in the activity groups. This morning, I copied the times for the NYC half-marathon for the range where I could probably finish. At the end of each month, I'll run a half-marathon on my own and insert my name in the finishing order. In my opinion, this is about as fair as it can get without entering an organized event.

Best Answer
Good for you!!! This way you know what’s what without there being any shenanigans. One can’t really trust anything on the net.
Best Answer

cheating will always occur even if you set down ground rules, although I am not sure why anyone would allow cheating as a rule, then there would be no point in the challenge.....

the only real way to make sure is to challenge people that you know, even then you can not be 100% sure, just more confident that the people participating have not cheated

I've been in goal day challenges where some people purposely lower their goal just to win, all you have to do is look at their average, or they have their goal set low even though their average is alot higher

for me, the challenges are just for fun, meeting new people and chatter

the real challenge is against myself, to at least hit my set goal, even if I win the challenge, if I don't exceed that goal then I didn't work hard enough

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:
the real challenge is against myself, to at least hit my set goal, even if I win the challenge, if I don't exceed that goal then I didn't work hard enough

And, if you cheat, you are not cheating anyone but yourself. So, why cheat?

Best Answer
0 Votes

indeed, not sure why anyone would allow cheating as a rule

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer

Well done Jarvis!

I think this huge achievement should both be celebrated and used as an example of what it takes to reach the 100,000 step threshold.  Said another way, folks who claim to log 100,000 steps each and every day are only fooling themselves.

Best Answer
I just hit 100k on Saturday. I set up to do it for months. It took me 13 hours to complete. I also walked 1000 flights of stairs, fitbit badges stop at 700. It is possible....but to do it daily? Impossible. I wanted to include a screenshot but apparently cant. If you'd like to see ask, I'll gladly share it
Best Answer

Well done @Tortie26.  🙂

Best Answer

Congrats on achieving 100,000 steps. Yes; while it is possible to do in one day, to do it for several days straight seems very challenging and unlikely (but I like to believe that it is possible if one is determined enough).

Best Answer

@Tortie26 wrote:
I just hit 100k on Saturday. I set up to do it for months. It took me 13 hours to complete. I also walked 1000 flights of stairs, fitbit badges stop at 700. It is possible....but to do it daily? Impossible. I wanted to include a screenshot but apparently cant. If you'd like to see ask, I'll gladly share it

100k in a day is so rewarding.  congrats!

Best Answer
Just a quick note here - I use the Fitbit Zip, and I can get 60k a day at home. The trick, step in place, dance, walk your dog, etc while listening to music, watching T.V. I go outside about 6am and can get 13k just walking my neighborhood. The key to steps is stride length. If you are running or jogging you are not stepping. Your stride length is much longer. Check out race walking on YouTube or Leslie Sansone. I can get 1k steps in 10 minutes of dedicated stepping. This is when I am stepping for fitness - set aside time to focus on your steps. All the day-to-day activity will not accumulate as much as dedicated stepping time. The zip only tracks my steps, and I clip it to my undies, or shorts. 😃
Best Answer
0 Votes
Why is it that no one considers the stride length of the stepper versus the runner. If you are 5'5" and running, your stride is not going to be the same as a 6'0" person running. So guess what, the taller person is going to have to work twice as hard to reach the high steps if he's in a challenge with steppers, not runners.
Best Answer

@Ladylisroc wrote:
Why is it that no one considers the stride length of the stepper versus the runner. If you are 5'5" and running, your stride is not going to be the same as a 6'0" person running. So guess what, the taller person is going to have to work twice as hard to reach the high steps if he's in a challenge with steppers, not runners.

If a lot of your steps are in place, then stride length is irrelevant.  As for height, yes, all else being equal, the taller person travels further per stride, especially when running, that said, I'm only 5'8" and when I race in a 5K event I have a 4.4' stride length, significantly longer than some of my friends who are over 6'.

Personally I will not enter a challenge, any challenge, as the variables ranging from folks who step in place in front of their TVs to folks who do anywhere from fifty to seventy percent of their steps running (me for instance).  A typical ten mile run for me takes about 1:40 during which time I log something around 16,000 steps, however, the amount of energy/calories I burn during that time is WAY more than someone in front of their TV, so there really isn't any way for me to compete on a level playing field; I'll lose every time.

Best Answer

@EdC wrote:

@TandemWalker wrote:

@EdC wrote:

I'm new to Fitbit and I can;t see how people are logging this many steps a day unless that is all they do and have no life. Roughly 50 miles plus per day of walking? Anyone else wonder how this is possible day in and out? I don't think even marathon runners would log this many miles per day. 

Hi @EdC . I agree with @Odyssey13 , but the thing is that people records steps that aren't really steps. For example, I've seen many posts from folks who are logging thousands of steps cycling, clipping their tracker to their shoe or their sock ... Those are not steps, it's cycling. That's not the name of my game. I use my tracker for step-based activities and nothing else. When I look at my step metrics, all of it represent steps, 100% of it except for the odd steps recorded during sleep. Another thing too is that some folks have jobs that have them walk all day long. I can think of a superstore employee, a courrier service employee, mail delivery ... the list goes on and on. Fifty miles in a day is equal to 14 hours of walking, give or take. That's an awful lot and I have a sneaky suspicion that not all of those steps are real steps but what I call false steps accrued while performing some other type of non-step based activity.

TW

Yes, that's a lot of steps. Anyway, no big deal. Just wondered is all....

You can edit your stride lengths in settings.  If you make it really low, your step count will go up.  Distance won't though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

uberwench said: You can edit your stride lengths in settings.  If you make it really low, your step count will go up.

I'd call that cheating!  All this (Ive just read the whole thread) reinforces my desire NOT to enter a challenge!  I know some people like them, and that is fine, but it is just not a level playing field when one runs, another walks, another bounces on their fitball, and another double times on the spot. They are not doing the same thing so how can you have a legitimate competition?  

Basically I bought my fitbit for me and I will only compare myself to me. Whatever exercise I do I compare to the same exercise:  I swam further or faster today than yesterday. 

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@NellyG wrote:

uberwench said: You can edit your stride lengths in settings.  If you make it really low, your step count will go up.

I'd call that cheating!  All this (Ive just read the whole thread) reinforces my desire NOT to enter a challenge!  I know some people like them, and that is fine, but it is just not a level playing field when one runs, another walks, another bounces on their fitball, and another double times on the spot. They are not doing the same thing so how can you have a legitimate competition?  

Basically I bought my fitbit for me and I will only compare myself to me. Whatever exercise I do I compare to the same exercise:  I swam further or faster today than yesterday. 

well, i joined one (my first in 8 years) and this is how i do it.  the leader is something like 30 miles a day, followed by 17-19 range.  i don't know how he's doing it because i average about 20k steps a day and my top in all the time i've had it is 30k.  i rememer what i was doing that day, a friend was visiting from another state so basically i showed her everything on foot.  i highly doubt i'm going to ever be able to do that much on a regular basis, and that was only 12 miles.  if i get my average up to 10 miles a day, that's fine with me.

i don't mind being in the middle of the pack.  in other words, i don't care if i'm number one.  as long i know that some of them would be impossible for me to match, i just compete with the ones closest to me because i know how much effort i put in daily.  no reason for me to lose my mind over it. 🙂

Best Answer