Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people work to get above 20,000 steps?

ANSWERED

I am active (run three miles in the morning, work all day, goof around with children in the evening while I do housework but getting above 20000 steps per day seems elusive to me. Help! 

Best Answer
310 REPLIES 310

Yesterday--I did 25,503....I walked Stone Mountain that evening and  plus ran for about 30 minutes on the treadmill at noon

Best Answer
0 Votes

That sounds like a chore to me. I try to vary each day adding in my resistance classes as they are not full of steps but valuable to sculpt and tone. Some things just get in the way if you live with other people not sympathetic to the cause. 

Best Answer

You can take them to class with you or go alone....or get them a fitbit...that might help them...lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

Definitely takes a lot of time, as others have noted.  I usually get my 5 miles in without too much effort, but the 20K days are rare.  Two of the ones I have gotten in the years since I've had Fitbit were in Victoria, BC, on vacations there.  Utterly beautiful city to walk in.  Gorgeous weather, lovely gardens in the residential areas.  One of the days we were there last year was when our cruise ship had a port of call there, and we walked from the dock into the city (the long way), then back along the water.  I've been to the city many, many times but had never seen the places we saw that day.  Anyway, 20K takes time, so good luck.  I'm still working on my badge for 25K!

Best Answer
0 Votes

i walk at an indoor track for 5k then regular errands and house work in the day. at night i make sure i get in a 5 k run outside..thats what works for me to get in over 20 000 steps..

Best Answer
0 Votes

actually got to 30,000 once...mostly work that has me on my feet all day then at night the pups walk me.

Best Answer

I thought I was doing too many stepping when I had reached about 28,000--walked Stone Mountain Park, walked the dog later for about 6 miles...It's amazing how we now can see all the steps that we have taken in one day...Thanks again for the Fitbit!

Best Answer
0 Votes

On the weekends, we do a lot of biking around the Coast of Maine, but the fitbit doesn't record.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find I am obsessed with getting my steps in every day.  I use to run 5 miles 5 days a week, but, now I am running 7 days.  Two days I only run 2 to 3 miles, but, I feel I accomplish something for me.  I put aside the correcting, house cleaning, etc.. and take the time to do something for myself.  

Best Answer

I save the house cleaning and etc. for raining days--It's great to check your FitBit and it has 20,000 steps or over....

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a Security Officer at a University, so getting 20 000 paces a day is pretty easy, as all i do is walk all day long.  I have yet to crack that ellusive 40 000 paces in one day, as i have yet to have such a busy shift. I have cracked 35 000 a day a few times now, and have walked more than 2 000 kilometres in 6 months here at work. Just wish my work boots could last longer than 2 000 kilometres 😞

Depending on how busy a shift is, 10 000 steps is easy to get in around 2 and a bit hours.

All i can suggest is to find a route and walk it, or take a few strolls around the block each day, as a break from whatever you are doing.

Hope that helps.

Best Answer

You think you can do 40,000 in one day?...LOL...That is a lot of walking...That's great!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I get them by just going out! Never take the lift or escalator , long way to classes at school , walk in the spot while brushing teeth or waiting for microwave ! We can all do it!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I work as a barista and a server. I'm also a college student and I often walk to commute as most places I need to be are within 2 miles of my home. I average 17,600 steps per day but 20,000-30,000 steps is not  uncommon on days I work and have school, especially if I work 2 shifts in a day and end up walking somewhere.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I took my new Charger HR out for the first time today and did 20320 steps. I work in 2 different departmenst at work and walk from one end of the plant to the other between 5 and ten times a day. I set myseft the target of 14000 steps because I like to go for a walk after work. I was on 12500 steps before starting my walk I did another 7017 steps on my walk and I've got the rest just pottering around the house. 

I'm really chuffed I never knew that I was walking that far at work before using the Fitbit today. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

i personaly dont, but my dad steps day and night, hours at a time. he gets about 40 k a day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i struggle to even get 10.000. I go to the gym normally and run for 30min and then after work walk my parents dog for 30 min and still dont reach the goal. I need to do a bit of extra walking to reach it but i have found that it can sometimes be difficult with a desk job 😛 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Run 5 miles in the morning.  I run marathons, and I find that hitting that 20k mark is tough on some days, but on other days it happens before breakfast.  It's hard.  Where I work, we have treadmill desks and if I leave the building for lunch, I always walk.  You have to find innovative ways to hit it though, because it's on average of 10 miles of steps per day.  My first piece of advice would be to increase your miles in the morning.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi All - I do a lot of walking, but I struggle to hit 20,000 steps on days that I don't run. a 10 mile run and I'm golden!

Best Answer
0 Votes

WOW, what time do you start in the morning to get over 20,000 steps in the morning. I average about 23-25K per day... and I work all day.Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes