Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people work to get above 20,000 steps?

ANSWERED

I am active (run three miles in the morning, work all day, goof around with children in the evening while I do housework but getting above 20000 steps per day seems elusive to me. Help! 

Best Answer
310 REPLIES 310
10000 paces/8 kilometers within the first 2 hours of work, just patrolling around campus. Laziest work day was only 18000 paces because I I had to do some static guardingin an 8 hour shift.

3123 kilometers in 10 months and 2 days.

Next year I will do better.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Because I'm training for several races next year, my daily mileage is at least 5 miles and I spend half my 8 hour shift at work standing up, walking. That would push my step count to 20k plus.
Best Answer
20,000 steps can be achieved. Having walking team mates help a lot... We come to work about an hour early; walk/jog 3 or 4 miles and at lunch time we walk another 4 miles or so. The steps add up very quickly.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Although I consistently average over 10K steps a day, I find 20K a bit more of a commitment than I am ready to make.  In the three years I've had a Fitbit, I've only achieved this a handful of times; these were on vacation, with a day spent entirely walking around a city.  Wonderful memories of Victoria BC, on a glorious summer day (our 41st wedding anniversary), walking all over this lovely city. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree that's the only way to do it - WALK IT and set a goal and make every day. Thanks for sharing.
Best Answer
0 Votes
It takes time 20000 steps a day is a lot! If you get them great but I need 2 hours out of each day to get 20000. So I settle for 10000. If you are a runner a lot easier but I am an active fit person that lifts weights and I only walk I do not run! Good luck enjoy all the steps Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a job that requires me to be on my feet for 6-12hrs a day so I walk a lot. I've had people unfriendly me simply because my step count is so high. Feels bad!
Best Answer
Awe...Do not feel bad you are doing a great job, however they unfriend because they know they cannot possibly keep up if they have a desk job. So it makes them feel bad, you just need to get in a group of high walkers. 🙂 keep up the good work!
Best Answer

62 Great for you!

I just asked age because to be honest I cannot keep up with a 20 or someone that has been a regular runner all their life or for a long time.

I get 10000 steps a day mostly and to control my weight I have to do 30 minutes of high intensity workout. Walking all day although great does not control my weight. 

But you are doing great so good for you, although I have heard that swimming did not count the steps and I was unsure if you could wear the fitbit continous in water. I mean I shower with mine on but have taken it off if in the ocean or pool.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If friends un-friend for that, they aren't friends.. aside it isn't competition. Everyone progresses with exercise.. at their own pace.. gradually building up.. one may just started out, not over-doing.. listening to the body when needing rest..

Everyone is unique and must compare progress with theirself not to someone else.. when feeling getting fitter, stronger, getting more condition, being able to do the same with being less exhausted.. that's progress.. even if going at a slower pace than someone else..

Having fun is important to (but not pushing your body over the limit just cause someone else can do x steps, while personally the best is to reach less steps), but noticing fitness level improves.. regardless of current fitness level.

If the body is asking for rest and not feeling up to exercise on some days, that's fine, take care of your body, regardless if others can be working out on your resting days.. getting more steps in..

workout

Best Answer
0 Votes
Everyone is doing their personal best, but FIT bit is a competition. People need to get in a group that is at their level. I am not going to join a runners group when I only walk. They are your friends but you need to be in an appropriate group. although do not feel bad it is more about them. Keep steppin
Best Answer

well pretty good wonder how ya look probaly fit  what kind of fitbit do you have

Best Answer

In my view, the fitbit does not measure many activities one might engage in like an ellipitical trainer and a stationery bike.  It measures walking quite effectively.  These numbers you refer to are exactly that.  Thus, 20,000 steps has nothing to do with physical improvements such as lower blood pressure, improved resting heart rate, excess post exercise consumption, metabolic improvements, or weight control. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Fitbit flex.. Great product Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I assume you are indicating the device you specify will provide more correct evaluations which has nothing to do with the premise of 20,000 step in the context I mentioned it.  Ever heard of Carol Dellinger with 290 marathons or Gary Krugger who runs 2 marathons a week all year long?  At some point, the user should decide,  am I improving my health any more with 20,000 steps than 10,000?  Anything else becomes competition.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a flex, had 2 replacements so far. Given up on it now and concentrated on a personal trainer once a week plus doing something every day. I dont drive anymore so walk or bike everywhere and Yes I am pretty tidy now I have more muscle 😉 Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

It usally takes me 2.5hrs to get 15-16,500 (10-12km) on my morning walks. After that I get to/above 20,000 by stepping around the house or office. Its taken a while to maintain it, but its getting better everyday.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is exactly what I commented on as to counting.  Your exercise endeavors are much more profound and add far more value than a number with NO significance.  Where do reside?

Best Answer
0 Votes

That should have said-where do you reside?  I think you exemplify behaviors that are well thought out and valuable!

@Rosmilla wrote:
I have a flex, had 2 replacements so far. Given up on it now and concentrated on a personal trainer once a week plus doing something every day. I dont drive anymore so walk or bike everywhere and Yes I am pretty tidy now I have more muscle 😉 Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interestingly, I am a personal trainer.

Best Answer
0 Votes