Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit ionic screen falls off

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The entire face fell off my ionic and all of its guts came out! They replaced it in December and today the face fell off the replacement too. Anyone else having this problem? I am not rough on the watch and I have never dropped it.

Best Answer
270 REPLIES 270

Yes, I just experienced the same problem!!!

• i received the Ionic as a gift as soon as it was released. We were on vacation in December 2017 and after going into the water, my Ionic died. I tried to charge it but had no luck. Fitbit called it a battery issue and replaced it with a new one in January of 2018. Yesterday, November 27th 2018, my screen fell off my Ionic after my workout. Fitbit refused to replace it saying that the warranty from my original device had expired. The issue was not one of abuse  or misuse but one of poor workmanship as the glue that held the screen in place had obviously failed. I was offered a 25% discount so that I could purchase yet another of their Fitbit products that will fail in under a year and that the company will not stand behind. Thanks but no thanks Fitbit. I will spend my hard earned money else where.
Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Welcome to the Fitbit forums! Thanks for taking the time to share the experience you have had with your watch. Thanks for contacting customer support regarding this. 

It's unfortunate to read that customer support was not able to help you out with this.

@furnjan I hope you're doing well! Thanks for also sharing your experience. I'm glad to read that customer support was able to send you a new unit. Please let me know if this happens again to you.

@MsCrissy Thanks for your participation on this thread.

@Carolkf It's great to see you in the Fitbit forums! Thanks for sharing all of those details. It's unfortunate to read that customer support's solution was not good for you. Sorry to see you go.

Keep me posted! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

What's crazy is the ionic that I got as a replacement, stopped working. I haven't wore it since the summer. Since it can't be in the summer. I brought the flex 2. Which still works. I'm scared to take the case off the watch to even see why it won't hold a charge. It's just hanging on a hook now.

It was fun Fitbit.

Best Answer

@MsCrissy Thanks for your reply and for sharing those details and feedback. I'm glad your Flex 2 still works correctly. 

What happened to the replacement watch you got back on July this year? Did the same thing happened to the screen once again? 

Please note that the environmental requirements are the following:

• Operating temperature: -4° to 113° F
  • Maximum operating altitude: 30,000 feet

Please keep me posted! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I checked it last night to charge it. Which did nothing. I took the screen csscoff and of course the screen had popped up . The watch was not in heat at all. I switched to the flex 2 for the summer heat. Y'all are using glue on a fitness watch and it not even the right glue. Skagen has yet to detach itself

Best Answer

Wow. That is just so unfair. I guess I know what I have to look forward. I am currently looking at other options that will last longer and do not manufacture junk. Best of luck with your next choice.

Update: I am waiting on the replacement now, but I was treated so horribly by FitBit. The only way Fitbit agreed to send me a replacement because I contacted them back in Aug 2018 regarding my band, and when  snapped a picture you could clearly see the screen was loose at that time. Ready to drop off. I had just loved my Ionic, but if the replacement has limited days, I will be looking to replace it with SOMETHING ELSE. Just sucks Fitbit has cheap products. Apple watch here I come. 

Hopefully this one will last longer than the first. What gets me is that they are fully aware there is a problem with this model and the screen falling off, but they do nothing about it. I have seen some places are selling the Ionic for a cheaper price. The Ionic was all the rave in 2017 only to find out that it was defective in 2018. Recall the watch Fitbit. 

Best Answer

I agree with you. They should recall the watch ....they know there is a problem....stand behind your products Fitbit!!!!

Best Answer

Is this a major problem with the fitbit screen ?

I have just ordered an Ionic as a treat for myself and looking at the forums, I'm beginning to regret ordering one.

Best Answer

The screen pops off after a period of time. My screen popped off after 11months. Keep in mind I did not shower or swim with this watch....the glue just gives out. 

Best Answer
I did not buy my Ionic through Fitbit, so when the screen started flipping open on one edge, I took it back to the retailer where I bought it & they replaced it immediately with a new one from their stock because it was 9 months old so still under warranty. I asked whether the new one was covered under warranty & he said that there would be another 12 months warranty on the new one. I have all the paperwork, but I really don’t know whether they would honour the 2nd warranty. I really love my Fitbit, so I hope this one is better than the 1st one.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer

Fitbit did not replace my second damaged tracker. They count the warranty time from the original tracker that you purchased. So now I have a $400 paperweight 😐

Best Answer
I feel you comments do absolutely nothing to solve our problems with the defective watch face.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Wow..Im surprised this hasn't been properly addressed by FitBit...

simply keeping on replacing the product is not the solution...if the adhesive keeps failing ...time to find a better manufacturing process or adhesive supplier and a  stern talk to the manufacturing arm of the company... you know if this was the fruit company with this type of issue.. they would be getting trashed to death on media!...but on the  upside you **ahem** well know they would address it and fix the manufacturing issue and quickly.

This is probably, as someone earlier speculated what may be causing all the failures of those people who go swimming with their Ionic watch and have it die on them....probably due to the adhesive seal failing...every one elses just separates from the body of the watch due to the heat eventually weakening the adhesive.

Best Answer
Yes, totally agree. Maybe they have fixed subsequent watches but they sure aren’t admitting to a problem.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Well my face of the Ionic fell open again.  So as I live and work in Bangladesh, sent to my Samsung phone repair guy.  He reglued it but now the touch function does not work.  So he is going to China to learn how to repair phones better and will take the watch there for fixing.  Heck with warranty.  Let me see what happens.  I, too, loved my ionic but will purchase some other watch now for Christmas.  Too bad.  Looser of a company.

Best Answer
Keep me posted on how they fix it. Thanks

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Hi everyone, thank you for all the information and feedback you've provided regarding the Ionic screen falling off. This is always useful for the team of developers. 

@MsCrissy, it seems that you had already contacted Customer Support about this. Could you please confirm if you received a reply from them? Did you continue the assistance process with them? 

@SunsetRunner, thank you for all the feedback about your experience with Ionic, I'm sorry to see you've been having trouble with the watch, but it's good to you you already contacted Support and you'll be receiving a replacement. 

@Carolkf, I do understand the frustration, and Fitbit continues to work to improve the quality of products and services, but they need to reinforce the existent warranty policy for purchased devices as well. You can find all the information here

@grahaml1500, it's certainly not something that happens with all the Ionic watches, but we have received reports from users who have experienced this inconvenience. Do let us know if you experience any trouble with your new Ionic. 

@furnjan, thank you for the update; it's good to know that you were able to received a replacement from the retailer. 

@Feelbitfit, it seems that you also contacted the Customer Support team about this inconvenience with the Ionic watch. Could you please confirm if you received a reply from them? Did you continue with the steps they provided for further assistance? 

@MrACraig, I'm sorry to see that you also experienced trouble with your Ionic watch. I understand that you no longer have the device with you. Could you please confirm if you still have it, or if you'd like us to send your information to the Customer Support team for further assistance with this? 

Keep us posted. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

I contacted Fitbit less than 24 hours of receiving my Ionic 2 months after finding out from a friend about the long running known issue with the Fitbit screen. I had not purchased the extended warrantee, and reached out to fitbit about the known issue with the screen, concerned I had just purchased an Ionic which would only last for a year. I received a canned, unhelpful response. I've been wearing fitbits since they came out in 2009, and and sad to see the customer support going downhill. When my screen falls off within the next 10 months, and I'm sure it will based on all that I've read, I'm sure fitbit will only offer me discount to buy another fitbit - just like they did in September when my 1 year old charge 2's heart rate monitor stopped working. I really wish Fitbit would address the known issue, admit it, and replace the screens. It's the only way I can see myself staying with fitbit once my screen falls off. Still shocked at how they responded to a long standing customer who contacted them immediately after purchasing the item.

Best Answer

@DavideFitbit How can I be sure that the replacement I was sent was not refurbished? For the company to not warranty their product ( regardless of the fact that it was a replacement) is awful business practice. I can only imagine how many more are out there experiencing the same problem. Shame on you Fitbit for continuing to sell a product with subpar workmanship....it could have been a fantastic product but you blew it!

Best Answer

Yes, an unhelpful, canned response seems to be all they do!

Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer