Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware release - 27.32.4.19

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

UPDATE: Fitbit OS 2.0 has been released to 100% of users.

Hi all!

I am excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 2.0! (Firmware Version: 27.32.4.19)

We've started to roll out this update to 10% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

What’s New

Fitbit Today:

Introducing Fitbit Today, an updated on-device dashboard that keeps you informed about all of your health and fitness data. Receive action-oriented and personalized content with daily and weekly health and fitness stats, historical activity, exercise summaries, and tips and tricks for using the Fitbit platform. Swipe up from the clock face to open the Fitbit Today dashboard.

Ionic users, your daily stats have moved from the Today app to Fitbit Today.

Music:

You can now add Deezer playlists to your Fitbit watch. For more information on setting up your Deezer playlists on Ionic, check out this article

What’s Changed

Fitbit Watch Interface:

We made some updates to the way you interact with your Fitbit watch:

• To see your notifications, swipe down from the clock face or press and hold the top button.
  • To see your stats and current battery level, swipe up from the clock face.
  • To access music controls, payments, and the shortcuts screen, press and hold the back button.
  • Access your music controls all on one screen.
  • We’ve changed the order of some of the apps on your watch. 

To learn more about these changes, open the Tips app on your watch and follow the tutorial.

Instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

I recommend updating your Ionic over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know! 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
859 REPLIES 859

And it's dead.

So let's recap. 5 months with no issues. Install new firmware --> Frequent hardlocks (reboots). Factory reset appears to have worked, but auto dim stopped functioning. Then the screen IC went bad (diagonal lines) and now it's dead.

Excellent.

Best Answer

Pretty much latest update has caused more problems. Wish they would fix it without messing it up more. 

Best Answer

Mine worked great prior to update and since it takes days to sync and most times l have to delete and re-install app or go through my pc fitbit acct to sync. So aggravated.  

Best Answer

I have a request for a new feature. I would like it to actually count the steps I take. I know that's asking a lot, but it would be an awesome feature to have for a pedometer.

Best Answer

My iconic will no longer sync to myphone app... thats all i use. Very sad right now

Best Answer

Since Friday, the Today view has been showing 4 little bars with stars in under my daily steps total - anyone know what they are for or what they represent?71FC0A82-A069-46F6-855A-A415567B2F8A.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Winnie10 wrote:

Since Friday, the Today view has been showing 4 little bars with stars in under my daily steps total - anyone know what they are for or what they represent?71FC0A82-A069-46F6-855A-A415567B2F8A.jpeg

There are actually 7 bars on that screen (some of them are small if you didn't walk on those days) that represent the days of the week.  The stars represent the days you met your step goal.  The very last bar on the right is the current day.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Thanks @Heather-S.  I did wonder if it was something like that but wasn’t sure as I was only seeing 4, now 5 bars - I only set up my Ionic on Wednesday so that makes sense.  What a cool feature!

Best Answer

After I've upgraded to the new firmware, I unfortunately started having serious issues with my ionic tracking my swims.  Here's how it manifests.

Before I start my swimming, I start the swim app.  Hit go, everything is good.  I feel it notifying me as expected intervals and everything.  Then, after X number of laps (this X varies -- sometimes around 500 yards, sometimes less and sometimes more), all of a sudden, I look down and it has exited the swim app.  Sometimes I see it on the screen where you choose an exercise routine.  Sometimes it's back to normal screen that shows all the regular stats.  

I haven't been able to finish a swim workout with full tracking since this update :(.

Any help would be greatlly appreciated.  

P.S. I've already tried restarting the watch since this started happening.  That did not seem to help.

Best Answer

And for the second time when trying to get an update on my Ionic - it did not work.  HOURS and HOURS wasted trying to do something completely simple.  Now after another 1 hour and 25 minute phone call with Fitbit - I'm told its a completely useless, poorly designed, piece of trash - which they insist that I should "properly recycle."  I'm an Env. Scientist by trade, so through I truly appreciate the reminder - if Fitbit would not design a piece of data tracking equipment such that it only has ONE notoriously unreliable method of data transfer, Bluetooth - YES, I SAID ONLY ONE - then Fitbit as a company would not intentionally be creating so much TRASH.

Why - WHY - WHY!!!  for the love every intelligent engineer and computer programmer in all of history - would they intentionally design a data  tracker that CANNOT BE CONNECTED WIRED IN?!?!?  Because other than telling the time - the only function of these devices it to store the data and then transfer it to the database.  It is its ONLY PURPOSE.  And they did not design any backup method for a piece of electronic equipment - and electronics, in my experience, always break eventually...  This is the most asinine concept I have heard in a great while.  POOR DESIGN.  Shame. Shame!  SHAME!!!

So it gets worse.  Once you tell them it's broken - they'll send you a warranty replacement for 1 year.  1 single year.  After a year - just another expensive piece of trash.

And yet worse again.  Mine is within the year warranty - so I will get a replacement.  Will I get it now?  NO.  Did Fitbit know that if the tracker cannot connect to Bluetooth that there is no backup method to get the data out of the device - YES.  Did they bother to tell me that?  Overnight my replacement so that I'd have a working device?  Do they have any resolution for what to do in the three weeks and the data "lost" in between?  No. NO.  And NO.

so unfortunate.  poorly handled.  And I've been the one defending the brand against the Apple Watch.  I feel pretty stupid all around at this point.

Last but not least - apparently the updates themselves are designed to include "improvements" to the way that the Bluetooth functions and connects.  Important to update this kind of functionality - of course!  BUT they do it during the SAME update in which the only method to get the update into the device is through the Bluetooth functionality that you are using to send that data over?!?  What if it fails and you've designed the equipment with no other method of transfer?!?  I'm sorry - but this just is not a stretch of the imagination.  How do you create something with such a FATAL FLAW??  Like death star level design error - and then try to update through the KNOWN FLAW you put in place?!?!?

I just cannot understand.

Best Answer

Has there been any response to this post?

Best Answer

Did you not read all of the posts above that indicate that this update is NOT working properly?!?

Best Answer
Again I say I am so happy my update failed each time and I continue to be able use my ionic. I will not update!!! And continue to watch this thread until I hear it is working!!! Why pay this much to have so many lose use entirely of their device?!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

So yes I agree these updates should NOT be done over the air, or at least there should be a way to do it over the wire.

Seeing there are 3 contacts on the charging port, one of them should be an I2C connector which the factory uses to flash the firmware, why not allow consumers to use that if all else fails?

While there are many complaints here (seems like most of you are using IOS devices) there are many people who managed to get it to work.

The sync is still not completely stable even for Win10 Mobile and Android but it is on par with OS1.

I second an opinion previously that calls for Fitbit to hire better Bluetooth developer.

I mean why are there so many modes of operation? 'All-day sync' or 'Live Data,' both are activated but the weather for the watch-face in TrekV4FB or Nothing Special never updates reliably. Nor does the Weather app.

On average, I have to tap 'Sync Now' 3 times to get things synced. Other app like Yelp requires a live connection to the phone but more often than not, it will try to sync and timeout even though the phone app (Elite X3 or Note 5) is still active. It is very different when using my Surface Pro where the UWP app almost always work.

The mobile apps (Win10 Mo/Android/IOS) needs some serious work and the Ionic firmware needs to be more robust to handle intermittent Bluetooth connections.

Ionic on Vivo Nex, HP Elite X3 and Surface Pro.
Best Answer

Hmmm seems there is a serious sync/connection issue.

I got my adidas ionic last sunday and even in setting up, updates were having problems.

And then sync issues seem to happen. It doesn't transfer data over to the app. Sometimes it transfers partially... ie steps reflect but not sleep.

Resetting and all doesn't seem to help the issue.

It is a beautiful watch that has potential.

I urge fitbit to relook into this bug as it seems there is a bug since the original ionic launch last year?

Best Answer
I prefer this as well. At least make it so that I can keep it open rather than going back to the home screen after just a few minutes. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I've been waiting for my replacement for bricking my watch on the update as well.  I sent mine to them on March 22.  Still waiting for the new one to arrive.  Pretty horrible experience all around.  Apple Watch is my next purchase.Smiley Frustrated

Best Answer

Hi everyone! I'm happy to hear that some of you have been able to update your tracker with no issues at all. I'm also happy for the ones who were able to solve the issues with the Fitbit Ionic after some troubleshooting tips and recommendations. 

Thank you all for the thorough feedback for the Fitbit devices and and customer service. This has not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along.

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback.

For the ones who are still having issues updating the firmware, I recommend updating your Ionic over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips. If the issue persists, I'd recommend attempting to update using a different network.

If your watch is performing strangely after the update, try restarting it by following these steps. If it continues to act up please feel free to post a screenshot of what you are experiencing so I can go from there. 

If your battery is draining too quickly, I'd suggest checking out these tips 

Note that quick replies for Android users will be available Spring 2018! Man Wink

If performed a factory reset and you're not able to connect your Ionic again, this usually happens when you performed a factory reset without before unpairing the device. Usually you should unpair your Ionic, forget Bluetooth (both Ionic and Ionic (Classic)) and perform the factory reset. To solve this issue follow these steps (some of them you already tried, but let's cover everything):

1. Unpair your Ionic.
  2. Unpair from Bluetooth both Ionic and Ionic (classic).
  3. Force quit the Fitbit app.
  4. Turn off the Bluetooth.
  5. Shut off your phone and turn it on after 1-2 minutes.
  6. Turn on the Bluetooth.
  7. Setup your device again.
  8. If there is no connection, restart your Fitbit Ionic.
  9. Setup your device again.

Please remember to abide by our Community Guidelines when posting to keep the forums productive, respectful, and on-topic.

Thanks, everyone for your cooperation! Let me know if you have any questions.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Thanks Marie for your very helpful post.

My Ionic issues since the upgrade are pretty diabolical.

The upgrade was no trouble at all. Took a while, but worked first time. I
chose a new clock face, and I was very happy.

Then I noticed several days later that my Active Minutes, Hourly Activity,
Sleep and Heart Rate information was all missing. Completely absent. Then
I noticed that when I came in from a walk, I would have some Active Minutes
showing on my Ionic, but when I synced I had zero Active Minutes on the
iPad, and the Ionic itself now read zero Active Minutes.

Now I am finding that all of my data, including Steps, Distance and Floors,
records correctly on the Ionic but does not register on the iPad when I
sync, and is then removed from the Ionic.

I think the Ionic is now just a waterproof watch.

I have reverted to the Blaze, but I miss the Ionic, in particular the
waterproof aspect.

I have informed Support, and am hopeful for a speedy resolution.

Thank you again for all your helpful information, though it has not covered
my issues

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anytime @GLTSWoman Very Happy

Well, I have taken the time to review your case and I'd like to provide some extra help here. However, since our Customer Support team has all the necessary tools to review this deeply, I'll recommend getting the conversation with them in case the information I'll provide right now doesn't improve the performance between your Ionic and your Fitbit app. 

Moving on to this, you mentioned that you're using your Blaze again right? So, I'm wondering if you're using both, the Ionic and the Blaze?  Since you repaired your Blaze to your account? When you add a second device to your account, it's possible that the step total you see on your dashboard did not update immediately with your new device's data. To fix this, we suggest manually syncing your new Fitbit device.

Note that live data, or the increasing step count you see in your app as you walk, is synced from the Fitbit device closest to your phone. If you switch between Fitbit devices, make sure the device you're not wearing is out of range of your phone to prevent the app from syncing with the device that’s off your wrist.

Because our multiple tracker feature was designed for those who want to switch between trackers while still getting the benefits of a holistic and useful dashboard, we don't recommend wearing two or more trackers at the same time. (Overlapping data that needs to be reconciled is less accurate than pure data from one source at a time.

If you're still not seeing accurate data after ensuring only the Fitbit device you’re wearing is syncing with the app, let me know. 

Also, I was curious to if the iPad you're using is included in our list of supported devices and if it's has been the same device you used with your Blaze before the Ionic?

Have you tried some troubleshooting steps with your Ionic so far? 

Looking forward to your response! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer