Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

Here sharing my personal experience with the refund process. 

I’m from South Africa.

May 9, 2022 - Registered for the recall.

July 20, 2022 - Still waiting for refund.

I have called the international number and have had no success. I'm not sure what to do any more. 

Best Answer

In uk they don’t ask for a return they just disable your account and then say they will send refund via PayPal 

Best Answer
0 Votes

How long did it take ? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got email regarding ionic refund, but not able to find message, 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did all of that back in March. I am still waiting and no customer service to address this egregious delay.

Moderator edit: all-caps

Best Answer
I just don’t know how they can get this process so wrong, I don’t know of anyone who is satisfied with it

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
Early March

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Well called today and they now claim it is 42 business days. Which no where does it state this. So this actually makes this whole process a 8-9 week wait. I was also told nothing they can do bc they processed the refund to Hawk and I have to wait for the GC company to give me my refund.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Glad you got yours. I sent mine in on March 3rd and still have nothing to
show for it.
Best Answer

Hi @Rathna_79  you can read more about the Ionic recall information by clicking this link. It will have the information you need

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Chrispy88  these are the community forums and not the same as customer support. I've asked a Fitbit Moderator to stop by to help you.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

The reason people are in the 'Community' looking for support is because Fitbit offers 'no support'. That is not a difficult path to follow.

Moderator edit: all-caps

Best Answer

Same time frame as you, but I was told today that the 3-6 weeks is actually a total of 42 business days so we are technically still in the window... but no one else stated business days until today. I'm not agreeing, just saying the new excuse that I got. I was also told that it goes by the May 31st date they received my Ionic not the date i got the June email (again new information). I feel like all information has been totally contradictory.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got the refund will be processed in 10 business day email 6 weeks ago. 🙈. I did not opt for PayPal bc I don't have PayPal but those seem to be processing, unlike the gift cards which seem to not be, so I honestly wish I had this is a disaster. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I registered on March 2nd.  The watch was received March 21st.  Dozens of messages, emails, calls, direct messages, social media outreach.  Nothing, just the generic, call the recall center replies.  

Best Answer

Why is my refund delayed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello fellow Ionic Safety Recall participants, I haven't posted lately since there hasn't been anything new for me to report until now.  I'm in the U.S. and had three Ionic watches.  Here's my experience:

- I registered them the day the recall was announced on 2 March

- I received return kits the following week and shipped them all via UPS on 10 March to Sedgwick, the contractor handling the recall. 

- They were all delivered 14 & 15 March.  

- Received email 6 April confirming Ionic was eligible for the refund

- Received PayPal payment 13 April for $299, within the 10 business day window

- Received 2d email 13 April confirming Ionic was eligible for the refund

- Received PayPal payment #2 on 22 April for $299, within the 10 business day window

- Ionic #3 stuck in limbo, called Ionic Recall Hotline 27 April, told Ionic was still being processed

- Called Recall Hotline back on 29 June, told that Ionic #3 was processed as of 8 June and is eligible for refund

- Received email 7 July confirming Ionic #3 eligible for refund and payment pending in 10 business days

- Received virtual Mastercard payment for $299 on 19 July, within the 10 business day window.

The moral of my story is that this is not a scam; Fitbit/Google isn’t trying to steal your device or refund money.  Their processing contractor is overwhelmed and it is taking more time than they estimated.  As you can see, my first two processed quickly but the third took 18 weeks from the time it was received…but I did get paid.  International users seem to be having a more difficult time of it.  Hang in there, I believe you will eventually be rewarded.  Good luck.

Best Answer

It has been over 9 weeks since my Fitbit Ionic was disabled (after I contacted the recall centre). I was issued an email saying that I should expect my refund in 3-6 weeks, and 9 weeks later I still have not seen anything. I have called Fitbit several times to ask if my refund is still on the way and I consistently get told "everything is delayed right now, and we have no idea when the refunds will be sent out." It is getting very frustrating now that my watch has been disabled for 9 weeks, and I am waiting on that refund to get another smartwatch because I don't want to purchase something not knowing the status of my refund, and how much longer I should be waiting. This, as with my many other Fitbit experiences, has been very frustrating and I am just wanting to know if other people that were a part of this recall have already received their refunds or not. If not, this is starting to feel more and more like a scam. 

Best Answer

Has anyone actually gotten their refund?! I’ve seen lots of posts on other forums about people waiting several months!! I wAs told 3-6 weeks and we just passed 6 weeks! If it’s all electronic I don’t understand the hold

Up! Communication has been terrible and im

So frustrated! I want to Just bite the bullet and buy a new tracker but that’s so much out of my own pocket when I should be getting. A credit!!!

Best Answer

Hi. Been waiting since March 3rd for my refund. The endless pages here are filled with people who have NOT received their refunds either. I have seen a mere two people state they did receive their refunds…Good Luck….

Best Answer
0 Votes