Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 -- Lose 20 pounds by Mother's Day -- 2015!

Hi!  I just saw a thread from 2014 where a group of mom's and non-mom's set a goal to lose 20 pounds by Mother's Day.  Anyone want to start one for 2015 with me?  I have about 35 pounds to lose total, but 20 by May sounds like a good goal to me. 

I am going to try to get my 10,0000 steps in and I am joining a gym this weekend to add strength training and cardio. 

Best Answer
469 REPLIES 469
When I first got mine, my sleep pattern was the worst. I have been experimenting and found for me, no sugar after 2 and a light super helped. Wishing you the best in finding your trigger. Has anyone tried a sleep study? A friend of mine had one done, went on the Cpap and after losing weight was able to get off it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hope everyone is having a great Friday!

Has anyone tried the Dr. Phil 20/20 diet?  I am having trouble with diet/healthy eating consistantly & hoping to have someone's honest opinion on his program.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

two pounds down another 18 to go

Best Answer
R mm 2014 way to go!
Best Answer

Canada,

I am new to fitbit (my daughter got me one for Christmas) but have always exercised quite a bit. I am 57 and finding that according to fitbit I can only eat 500-700 calories to lose 2 lbs per week! I was always told that is starvation dieting.

What do you think?

Kathy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Swimnurse,

I have a fitbit zip. I don't see any way to log my sleep. do you know anything about that?

kathy

Best Answer
0 Votes
With the activity you do, that seems really low. I Wonder if it is supposed to read eat 500-700 fewer calories per day than you burn.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Ronnie,

Well, I believe the idea is to lose 1 lb you eat 3500 calories less per week, and to lost two pounds you would have to eat 7000 calories less per week (which amounts to 1000 per day). SO, if I eat 1500 calories per day and subtract 1000, I should only eat 500. Follow me?

But that's starvation dieting! So I think unless I upped the exercise BIG time, there is no way for me to lose 2 lbs per week... (healthfully, that is).

Just want someone to confirm this reasoning!

Kathy

off to church...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Noir for the reply, I have my Aria scale set up and on the same link as my wifi, I weigh myself but when I select the fitbit app on my computer, it opens to "set up my device" and "press to synce" and then nothing happens. (It also says "cannot connect to dongle", yet the Aria scale has no dongle) What am I missing if you know, I had this feeling the results would automatically show up some where on the fitbit app, but where?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, 500-700 calories a Day is FAR too low..

I know that within the fit bit program, they have a section where you can enter your weight, then your weight loss goals etc.  It then calculates for you how many calories to eat , depending on your needs.

ie-1200-1800 calories for weight loss depending on your HEIGHT, current weight & amount of daily activity you do.

The last time I lost 20 pounds I was given DAILY this program.

a) 2 starches /day

( 2 starches = 4 slices of weight watchers bread, 2 slices of regular bread- not the extra  thick or the texas toast variety,  or one small potatoe, or 1 Eng Muffin or 1 cup of cereal:  Bran Flakes , Cheerios .. or 1/2 cup of rice, or 1/2 cup of pasta.. you chose )

b) 3 cups of vegetables

c) 2 fruits ( ie- 1 fruit would be any of the following: 1 cup of berries, 1/2 banana, 1 orange, 1 reg.sized apple etc. )

d) 1 fat

e) 1 dairy ( one of those small yogurts)

f)  2 protein ( 4 oz, or just think that 2 eggs = 1 protein, a palm size portion)

g) + a 100 CALORIE treat of my choice

h) 8 cups of water ( I did 6 cups and then 2 cups of either herbal tea )

This may or may not work for you , depending on your lifestyle and hormones ( I am pre-menopausal. )

**It's always BEST  to consult with your physician to see what may work best for you or what could or may interfere with medications or illnesses etc. **

The problem with me is that it worked very well , but I was not exercising as much as I do now. So now, I am exercising more and find myself famished.  I am slowly trying to add more protein and vegetables to stay fuller for longer periods of time.  I also had to WRITE down exactly what I ate and SHOW it to the coach. ( hence you can't cheat because they check your weight, and that type of accountability helped.)

Once, I got lazy and stopped measuring my portions, stopped writing in my food journal etc.. the weight piled on. It's my own fault and my sweet tooth.

Like everyone on this forum, I am just trying to give it another try, watch my portions and try to get in my 10 000 steps.

Maybe you can enlist the help of your daughter or a girl friend? Email eachother to keep each other on track and accountable? Good luck  and Happy Stepping.

Best Answer
Hi Kathf575
The rule is, if you burn 500 calories more than you eat everyday, you will lose 1-2 pounds. The Fitbit tracks the calories you burn and then you just need to stay more than 500 calories below that number for food intake. We should definitely be eating more than 500 to 700 total calories per day.
Best Answer
0 Votes

GREAT WORK

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Canada, it sounds like you are doing a great job and you have awesome ideas, thank you.

With respect to losing weight and walking 10,000 steps, you are simultaneously building muscle which is heavier than fat, so although you are getting toned and smaller the scale doesn't always reflect that. I also believe that muscle in your body burns more fat, during your resting state. Anyway it is all good and you are improving everyday, even if your scale says NO.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Kathy, once you start using your fit bit, you will be surprised to see how many steps ( and calories you burn ) while walking, doing house work, walking up stairs, walking in the grocery stores etc.. )

I know it seems abit overwhelming at first, but take small steps.

Set some small , attainable goals at the beginning.

If 2 pounds/week is too daunting, try 1 pound per week.

Good luck!!

Best Answer

I just wanted to clarify about the DAILY intake.. ( slight TYPO.. )

2 starches= 4 weight watchers slices of bread , and then it should say OR....2 slices of reg. bread.

Again.. not a physician, so check with your doctor FIRST before starting ANY weight loss program.

You need to be careful that you eat enough to sustain your lifestyle, and your energy levels.

****************************************************************************************************************

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the info and motivation!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Cath first steps, Your goal for 2 lbs per week may be too aggressive. You may have to lose s-l-o-w-e-r

Best Answer
0 Votes
Great! I have identified one of my problems but no solution yet. I'm not
getting enough sleep. I go to bed but I'm tossing and turning way too
much.
Best Answer
0 Votes
That Is too low. I think you have to eat more but burn 500 more than you
eat. It is not a good idea to go below 1000 calories per day
Best Answer
0 Votes