Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valentines Day to April 18th

@Bobbinyc, I hope it's ok for me to plagerize your Christmas to Valentine's Day Topic Starter but it was absolutely perfect!!!

Welcome all Challengers!  What an amazing group we have!

Let's all continue together to take off the excess pounds and keep getting healthier.

This challenge will begin on Valentine's Day and finish on (American) Tax Day - 18 April 2017.   (Really!  It's the 18th this Year, not the 15th!)

All you need to join this challenge is to post your stats regarding your weight, and check in weekly or as often as you'd like. We are a great support group and enjoy keeping up with each other and being there for our ups and downs.  Generally we have found that the more we check in and offer support, tips, info,  and ideas to others, the more we get for ourselves.

We list our weight, as well as any other goals we might have related to being healthy (such as increase water, more active minutes, etc).  Developing good health habits is primary.

A little rundown of terminology for anyone who is new.

USW- Ultimate Starting Weight

CSW- Current Starting Weight (for this challenge)

GW- Goal Weight   (for Feb 14)

UGW- Ultimate Goal Weight   (what your healthy target weight is)

PW- Previous Weight

CW- Current Weight

MFP- My Fitness Pal

List as much info as you like.  Some people include age, gender, height....whatever seems relevant to you.

We keep it as serious or light as we feel, but we always keep it focused on being as healthy as possible, while we support each other kindly.  We can do this together!!

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer
926 REPLIES 926

@Sarmina - I also put on weight when I was on birthcontrol - I spoke to the doctor about it, and it's not the pill itself which makes you put on weight, but the artificial hormones can cause water retention and an increase in appetite, which will lead to weight gain.  It can also affect your metabolism, so everything takes longer to break down.  I ended up having to up my exercise to counteract the pill.  Not a happy time, haha.  Its so easy to put weight on with just a couple of weeks of 'holiday eating' and takes so very long to lose it again.  Very frustrating!!!

Best Answer

@Ava_ oh no! not my metabolsim... I already feel like all it takes for me to gain weight is to look at a cake. I will spend the next month eating clean and excersizing regularly, if I don't see results (or very small ones) I will stop the BC. Thanks for your input!

Best Answer

All right! First weigh in for the challenge!

USW (12/2016): 195

CSW (2/14/2017): 180.8

Current weight: 180.2 (-0.6)

GW (4/18/2017): -13.5 (167.3) (That sounds like even more now)

UGW (?): 145-150ish

Weekly Exercise Goal: (2 HIIT sessions) Got in 2! 

SIGH. Okay, not the most stellar week, given that I was trying for a lot more weight loss, but it's coming up on that time of the month and I'm injured. I worked hard to eat right even when I couldn't find time to make it to the gym for bike and weights, so I'm going to call that good. Hoping for a better week next week while still protecting that injury. 

I'm taking the kids to the children's museum today, so my foot will hurt more, but I'll get more steps :). 

Hope everyone else is having a good day!!

Best Answer

@Sarmina  Welcome to our little (and big) group! I can assure you that a 'sense of community' is one of the things that most people around here love about these challenges. We aren't competing, we are simply living and doing things our own way and here to support each other. I'm glad you've jumped into the pool!

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

Went walking with Mom at the mall. She asked if we could do 3 laps instead of 4 because she's trying to take it easy on her sore leg. By the time I got home, I had 5000 steps. The temps have warmed a bit and the snow carvers came down the side streets during the night, so I might be able to take the dogs out for a longer jaunt today. If you wonder what snow carvers are, they are giant trucks that chew up the snow from the curbsides to widen the street to the natural size, then it gets spit into dump trucks and the dump trucks haul it away to a dumping area designated for the purpose. Overnight we probably gained 8 feet of street width. 

To walk I can use my regular sneakers and my lighter jacket, so that will make me feel more energy than hauling a huge winter coat and clomping around in heavy boots. Won't need gloves or a hat either. It's 39F/4C spring!!! As if. We still have 2 months of winter left.

This week is going to be a bit more challenging. Mom can't go walking tomorrow due to an appointment and then she has....jury duty! I hope it doesn't last too long so we can get back into our routine. I'll be going to water aerobics and do other activities to make up for our mall walks. My dogs are bugging right now so I'll have to take them. I'd like a nap today. I'm not sleeping well lately. I think that's why I've had less patience with things. 

Ok, off to walk the neighborhood and get in more steps. I hope everyone is doing great and keepin' on keepin' on.

Best Answer

hi all,

Congrats to healthy eaters and maintaining or losing lbs. people. 

Managed to log my food yesterday and dropped .6 of a lb. in one day so the scale says. Went dancing last night so I burned some. Plan to log again today.  Time to sweep, vacuum and straighten up for a guest now. 

Keep on truckin' peeps,

Barbara G

Best Answer

So after this week of 5 days getting 12,000 or more steps (two days were 14, 000), I'm kind of sore today. My body feels tired like I just finished a good workout. I already have 10,500 steps and plan to hit 12,000, but should I have one rest day where I only get 10,000 or assume my body will get used to it and keep going for 12,000? No cramps or anything, so I'm going to finish my steps tonight, but not sure if it will keep up like this. To get my steps, I've been doing a tiny bit of jogging and running around with my son outside. That's a change too; it's not just walking. I've noticed that to get this many steps, I have to either get an hour and a half of active minutes or pick up the pace and get more steps in a shorter time. I know my body will get used to it. In fact, playing with my son today, I was able to keep up with him while he was driving his little truck outside. Last fall, I couldn't keep up with him and had to make him stay in a small area. Today, we drove/ran all over the place and I walked quickly or jogged to keep up. It was a great feeling! Ok, nevermind about whether I should get a rest day. Obviously, there's improvement in my body, and I want that to continue. Sorry for the rambling. Got to get up and get a few more steps in. Have a great evening everyone!

Best Answer

Sorry, I just reread and have to respond to myself. "Should I ONLY get 10,000 steps one day?" Two months ago, 10,000 steps was nearly impossible to get. My goal was 5000, then 8000, and then finally 10,000. I can't believe I said that 10,000 would be a rest day! 🙂 

Best Answer

@GettingfitinSC  Congrats! That's great to hear how you increased your steps like that. My opinion is that if your body can handle more steps, there's nothing wrong with doing it several days in a row. I did that up until my 40's and had no trouble with it. I have found now that I'm in my 50's I need to space out my high-workout days to give my body time to recouperate. You know yourself better than anyone.

The only thing that I caution younger people about is not to do too much high impact exercise, because sooner or later you will likely have joint/back problems. Of course when I was younger I never thought about that. But I hurt my back at 43 and then the Dr's told me about what I should and shouldn't have done. I wished someone had told me sooner!

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer

So my weight continues to go up, but right now I'm fairly certain that it's muscle weight, at least some of it. It's much easier for me to do resistence workouts at home than cardio.  For awhile I wasn't doing enough of either, and when I measured myself this month (I've been doing it every month for years), most of my measurements went up for the first time in a long time. That told me that most likely I was losing some of my muscle tone and that's important for me to get back. For me having strong muscles is more important than losing weight.  I've also been trying to increase my activity every day, even if it's not cardio like a walk or the elliptical. I'm just trying to move more. Yesterday I put my headphones on and listened to music for hours while I did cleaning. I met my hourly step goals and really enjoyed it. I'm going to do that more often! Today my back is killing me, but I know it's because the muscles aren't used to that kind of movement. I'm taking it easy today and hopefully will feel good again tomorrow. That just seems to be my norm now - if I do a lot one day I hurt the next day. I hope that eventually I'll make it more even.

Anyhow, my beginning numbers:

USW - 207.5

SW - 196.3 (2/13/17)

CW - 197.4

GW - 190.0

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer

I've managed to keep my Burning up and my Eating (for the most part!) down  this Week.  I averaged 17,855 Steps a Day, for 7.23 Miles, 18 Floors, in 111 Active Minutes, and burned an average of 2,248 Calories.  (My average BMR was 1,285.5.) 

Because of you, @_Lilac_, I even tried jogging a little. Woman Wink  (And I do mean little - with the most being a whole 60 Steps.)  It's a start but I'm not going to push it!  I'm not a Spring Chick any more!!!

Most thrilling of all for me is that I broke out of my Rut one Day!  Normally, once I'm Home, I'm Home.  I don't go out again unless it's mandatory, like a Doctor's Appointment!  But I was really low on my Active Minutes and it was a nice Day (and I was in a Goal Day Challenge) so I put my Street Clothes back on and went out walking.  I only walked about 1½ Miles, but included in that short Distance were 3 Hills equal to 8 Flights of Stairs!!!  I proved to myself that I can actually walk to the nearby Restaurant AND to the Grocery Store I frequent the most often. 

OK.  Now for the proof of the Pudding:

28 July 2010 - PW - 280.8  (My highest known.)
06 June 2016 - USW (in FitBit) - 216

14 Feb - CSW 173.0
20 Feb - GW 171.4 - CW 171.0  Woman Very Happy
27 Feb - GW 169.6
06 Mar - GW 167.8
13 Mar - GW 166.0
20 Mar - GW 164.2
27 Mar - GW 162.4
03 Apr - GW 160.6
10 April - GW 158.8
17 Apr - GW 157.0
18 Apr - GW 156.7

13 May - 1st UGW - (but still not a "Healthy" BMI) - 150

My first "Race" is coming up next Month.  Portland's Saint Paddy's Day 5K Shamrock Stride.  http://www.shamrockrunportland.com/

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer

@GettingfitinSC, I can see splitting a Pizza between several Days.  I actually prefer it cold.  But how do you split a Cheeseburger and eat the other half the next Day? Do you zap it or eat it cold?  If the former, doesn't the Bun turn into Cardboard???

I rarely order Burgers since I prefer to make my own but when I do, I usually just throw away 1 if not both halves of the Bun.  Often, I'll just ask for it without the Bun.  Did that at one of our local Drive Thru Restaurants and they asked me if I wanted it as a Lettuce Wrap instead.  I said sure, thinking that there would be just one or two Leaves of Lettuce.  Not so!  I'll swear that there was a whole Head of Lettuce wrapped around that dinker Cheeseburger!

Best Answer

@BLLingg I heated it for about 25 seconds. The bread wasn't fresh anymore, but it was still good. 🙂 

@DJC_63 I feel fine this morning. Last night I wasn't thinking about how much jogging I had done while playing with my son. I was just thinking that I was more sore at 10,000 than I had been at 12,000. I think it was because of all the playing I did. More of a workout than just walking. My 2 year old son loved having me play with him and chase him around. I plan to build that in often as a workout. 🙂 I got my 12,000 steps yesterday, and I'm about to get started on them today! 

Best Answer

Early morning post for me. It's 8am and I'm sipping on a coffee and urging myself into the mindset of going to water aerobics. There's a fresh, thin layer of snow on everything but we aren't expecting accumulation, just enough to force me into wearing my clunky boots rather than my walking sneakers. 

I took up my crochet needle and made a basic granny square last night. I remember my grandmother having afghans all over the place and crocheted pillow covers. It's so 'old lady' huh? I'm not skilled enough to make things that are actually pretty rather than old fashioned, but it relaxes me and keeps my mind occupied. 

My plans for the day are to go to the pool (6000 steps including the walks to and fro), walk the dogs (2500 steps), and walk the dogs (2500 steps). Anything else will put me well above goal. Crochet, watch tv, write, tap my games on my tablet, make food. I'm so darned boring. And see how everything I like to do has me on my rear-end?? Sometimes I combine a few things at once...multi-tasking. My treadmill has two little shelves, so I can put my tablet on one and tap my games while walking...and have the tv on at the same time. Or, I can knit/crochet while marching in place in my livingroom. Ha ha, gotta be creative sometimes. I guess it depends how guilty I'm feeling at any given moment. Alright! Alright! No sense in dragging my feet. Off to the pool. Have a great day everyone. Even if that internal monster tells you that you can just start fresh tomorrow...don't listen to him. Get your butt up and move, you'll feel better right away. Just imagine a tiny me marching over to face him and I'll sock him in the nose for you!! I know you'd do the same for me.

Best Answer

USW- 215.0 (2/4/14)

CSW- 211.4 (2/14/17)

LW- 211.4

CW- 211.6

GW- 202.4 (4/18/17)

UGW- 150

Up a bit but I'll take it as I have a rotten head cold that's knocking me on my butt for the past four days. I haven't had one in years and I think this one is making up for that whole time. I am now officially a mouth breather as my nose is so stuffy. Can't even imagine working out but the good part is my appetite is way down too. Hope it passes soon.

Best Answer

Happy Monday all.  What a gorgous weekend!  a Friend and my Pup - we went on several nice walks.   Can't wait for the weather to stay like this, (back to work so harder to get my 10k  in during the week but gonna try while it's warmer and not raining).

Decided to just be on track - watch my intake and keep walking.  Gonna weigh in on Ash Wednesday - (works better for me not to do every week or day as I get too moody if things are not going the way I think they should,  trying to make this a life time way of life verses a quick loss and then quick regain.  Ok, that's the plan.  as the turtle said "slow and steady"

Best Answer

Three hours since my last post. 9000 steps in!! I did water aerobics and then immediately took the dogs out. We zig zagged up and down a bunch of streets in my neighbourhood, doubling (or more) the steps I usually get when taking them. I'm going to go for another quick jaunt to the store and I'll hit my 11,000 goal by noon! Woot! What a great day so far!!

Best Answer

i'll try this.

USW- 265

CSW- 217.5

GW- 199

UGW- 140

PW- ?

CW- 217.5

MFP- ?

Best Answer

USW (1/1/16) = 315 lbs
SW (2/14/17) = 240 lbs

(2/20/17) = 238 lbs -2 lbs

GW (4/18/17) = 229 lbs (-11lbs)
UGW = 160 lbs

I'm super pumped about this loss! The last three weeks I didn't really lose much. This week, I decided to track EVERYTHING I ate and also tried to eat about 1600-1700 cals each day. Before I was doing it based off of my activity level. This lead to high cal days when I worked out a lot followed by lesser cal days on non-workout days. The swinging back and forth from high to low was causing me to struggle a bit with food. I also did really well this weekend with not over eating during social events, which is one of my biggest issues. 

Best Answer

@_Lilac_ Wow that's inspiring! I am at work all day so have only managed to out in 3,000 steps on my commute here.

Since yesterday I have diligently tracked my food and water intake on the app. This evening I will get my Weight Gurus Bluetooth scale that syncs with the Fitbit app and start tracking my weight daily. Unfortunately the Aria didn't work with my network and had to be returned. I am hoping to lose at least 1.5lbs per week.

Best Answer