Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Availability and Alternatives

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Though Fitbit One is a popular product, as we introduce new products, we occasionally make changes to our product line to keep you on track with the most up-to-date health and fitness tracking tools.

As a result, we no longer sell the One. We recommend considering the other discreet options we offer- Fitbit Zip, if you prefer a clip-based tracker or Fitbit Flex 2 if you prefer a slim, wrist-based tracker. Or, take our quiz on http://www.fitbit.com/compare to see which device meets your needs best.

Please note that we will continue to support the One and, if necessary, provide replacements for devices in warranty.

We do know there are many fans of the One who would like to discuss alternatives and have created this thread for discussion and merged a few posts together. Please keep in mind Community Guidelines when posting. 

At this time, feedback has been shared on the One status and there are no plans to bring this particular tracker back at this time, we will not be able to comment further. 

We apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can continue to provide you with Fitbit trackers you love and help you reach your goals.

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
1,310 REPLIES 1,310

SantiFit,  I can understand the consolidation of your product line to have only one clip-on step tracker but who made the poor decision to choose the Zip over the One.  The Zip requires a battery; the One does not.  The shape of the Zip makes it more difficult to wear for women;  the One is slimmer and wears well.  The Zip has known and acknowledged problems with the design of the battery housing and a metal contact can easily be "bent" rendering the Zip useless.  The One easily charges using a USB cable.

FitBit has not been very forthcoming in their decision to streamline their product line with about 8 wrist trackers and only one clip-on and the Zip  is a really bad product.

So SantiFit, when I awoke this morning, my fully charged One was dead as it has been doing for the past several days.  Your new app dashboard doesn't work.  My device has not synced for over 2 days even trying a forced sync so.........I'm done with FitBit and will tell everyone I know.  What used to be a good company with a great product line has succumbed to poor decision making and will go into history in all the MBA programs under the heading of "What went wrong?"

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

I did the update to 6.64...for me, it went smoothly.  Everything appears to be worker fine.  However, I'm probably a minority here in that I use a Windows phone (it has Windows 10 on it).  Guess I'm glad the update went smoothly.

However, still upset that the only non-wrist offering by Fitbit will be the Zip.  When my One dies...I probably won't use the Zip and will move on to another manufacturer....probably Omron, but, at this point in time, who knows what offerings will be out there.

Best Answer

Let's face it, the Zip is not an alternative if you are looking for a clip-on or "pocketable" activity tracker.

Once my One and Charge HR die, I'm looking at other companies. The new Fitbit devices are either too bulky or lack key features.

For those of you who don't want to wear a wristband tracker but still wear a watch, one alternative that I am considering for purchase in the near future is a hybrid smartwatch. Personally, I'm looking at the Fossil brand. It actually looks really nice on women's wrists (as opposed to the huge Charge 2 display) and it tracks steps, sleep, and gets notifications!

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

Thanks, sjhowe!   I had not considered the wider smart watches on the market.  

Removing the One from the lineup was a dumb move- it had a marketable niche in that it offered so much in such a small package--if sales were falling off, it was a mistake on the part of fitbit for not Marketing It,  it and differentiating it from the other lower end fitness trackers.  

I live in a hilly area, and I do a lot of hiking, so it was worth it to me to pay $40 more over the Zip, Jawbone Up Move and Flex 2 to have a One with Steps, Altimeter (flights of stairs) and sleep all in a tiny package with a readable screen. It sounds like I was not alone...and if they made it waterproof, I probably would have paid a bit more.  Maybe they should make an  Alta "meter", Alta "fly", or Alta "stairs" and put an altimeter into the Alta and offer an optional clip and they can re-market the One....as an Alta.  (I haven't actually seen the Alta in person, so not sure how the tracker compares in size/shape to the One- which was very convenient on a clip).  The Flex 2 looks more compatible "size and shape" wise, but it doesn't have a readable screen, and there have been a few times when I wanted to track my progress but not carry my phone- like in wet, snowy conditions. But if they put an altimeter in the Flex, I would consider its swim ability a suitable trade off for the readout.  

I am praying my One holds on for a few more months to see if Fitbit listens to its loyal One customer base - first, to see if they fix the bugs that are killing the battery life and syncing abilities of the Ones being worn right now, and second, to see if they are working on a new product that has all the functionality of the One (especially flights of stairs), in a compatible size, shape and clip form. 

If not, I will probably look more closely at the plethora of options available elsewhere and I am actually questioning my need for a fitness tracker at all with all of the standalone apps.  Again, I was completely willing to buy a brand new One just 10 days ago.  I Have worn a One 23 hours a day for 5 years, and I feel the move to discontinue the product at the same time as the updates made many of these products die was an indication that Fitbit really does not care about my loyalty.  

Best Answer

I'd just like to add my voice to the others decrying the demise of the Fitbit One.  I've had mine a few years and I love it. It replaced my Zip, which was not so great. I cannot wear a wrist device, I rely on the altimeter to track climbs, I use the display frequently to check progress and keep me motivated throughout the day... the One does all this and more! If anyone knows of another device (Fitbit or not) that does all of these things I would love to know about it. From previous posts I guess I'll be looking into the Alta and the 3rd party clip but I'm certainly not happy about it.

On a happier note, I contacted Fitbit customer service today for a replacement clip for my One; as usual, they were courteous and helpful and will be sending a replacement clip (apparently, they do still have some of these around). Let's hope our comments will move Fitbit to bring back the One or replace it with a new clip-on device. 

Best Answer

I have 13m steps on my One and love it. Sadly, I cannot use any wrist-based tracker. I wear a garmin watch when I exercise and a dress watch to work, but in my jeans or suit pocket is always my FitBit One. When I can no longer get a One, I'll probably just let Garmin track my steps but I don't wear that watch all the time, which is the trouble. Please, FitBit, keep the One or create another clip/pocket-based alternative. 🙂

Best Answer

This is such a thoughtful and informative post.  Thank you.  I miss my One tracker badly... I lost it over a month ago and am actually still looking for it.  Fitbit has offered me a courtesy "discount" of 25% to buy one of the other products, and I'm doing my research now.  I would totally get a Blaze, but it is too expensive, and the Ionic is even more so.  I don't know if a Flex(2?) is in my future or not, as an altimeter is important to me, too.  As for the zip, it's too ugly, does too little,  and I could get a much cheaper pedometer at a regular brick-and-mortar store.  If only the Blaze weren't so expensive.  But really, I just wish they hadn't discontinued the amazing One.  

Best Answer

What are Fossil's hybrid watches?  And do they have access to a community of exercisers the way Fitbit does? 

Best Answer

Please bring back the One or another comparable clip on tracker. I know many friends that have Ones and we are all very sad it is discontinued. We don't want to wear a wristband, especially since we play volleyball and it's not practical to wear a tracker on our wrist. The Zip is a lame clip on tracker... so limited in functionality!  Please bring the One back!

Best Answer

I just ierdered the Alta clip. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m guessing that Fitbit can’t offer this as a solution because they don’t offer an Alta clip. Rather shortsighted. Thanks!

Best Answer

Nooooo. I just purchased a clip and now want to purchase an Alta. Hmmmm...I think I’ll read the Alta forums first before spending more money. Thanks for the heads up!

Best Answer

I like the accuracy of my One. I clip it on my bra and forget about it. I want actual movement recorded. I saw a woman in church last week just tapping her wrist to record steps. Really? Cheating in church? Sheesh. I won an Under Armour tracker and gave it to my husband because it’s a wristband and I can’t do wristbands. My husband suggests that the reason the One has been discontinued is because it is invisible tucked inside our clothes as opposed to the very visible wearables. Sigh. I suspect that he is correct. 

Best Answer

I so badly wanted to get a One, and when I was ready to order one, I found out that they were being discontinued, so I decided not to buy one of the remaining ones in stock (at the time) due to all the terrible battery drain issues and other issues I had been reading about on the forums.

I currently use a Zip and the battery issue is frustrating (I am on a replacement right now, and the battery issue is a little better, but I am monitoring it)....  If only the One was not discontinued!  I will have to find another product at some point.  I am hoping my Zip will last for a long time though 🙂

I do not want to purchase a more expensive wrist tracker, and I know some of them can go into a clip.  I am not interested in that.  I do not want to wear a fitness tracker on my wrist for a multitude of reasons.  I wanted the One.

Best Answer

I saw a FitBit employee suggest wearing a wrist tracker on the dominant hand for a more accurate step count. Problem is, it's hard to wear anything on one's dominant hand and write easily (yes, some of us students do still take notes by hand). I am very disappointed that the One is being discontinued. I've had mine for 5 years and LOVE it, but it's on its last leg (probably because I've worn it 24/7 for the past 5 years, except one day a week after I got it that I forgot to put it on). I'm really not interested in any of the other options, mainly because they don't offer the same features, but also because I am not at all interested in wearing jewelry. I also know many people who have the wrist trackers and every single one of them says that the wrist trackers count hand movements (I've even seen steps being added when people are just putting their hair in a ponytail). If you're going to discontinue your best product, please offer a comparable alternative. Sure, the Zip clips, but it looks cheap and doesn't have the same features as the One. None of the other products look appealing, so if the One isn't replaced I don't think I'll be buying another FitBit product after my One dies. Which is a shame, because it's been a lot of fun and my FitBit stats have really become integrated into my lifestyle. 

Best Answer

Completely agree. Very frustrating that they have screwed up the One on its way out and their service following this debacle is enough to send me to another wearable  device that clips on and not on wrist. I have had both and the wrist gets too many steps by moving of arm. Disappointing for sure.

Best Answer

I would also be interested in a good alternative to the One if anyone has done some research or switched already. I am not interested in a wrist model but one you clip to your clothing. Thanks 

Best Answer

I just received my clip from Amazon that will fit the Alta. Sigh. The One had all the features that I needed. I will take advantage of the bribe from Fitbit customer service for 25% offand order an Alta. An imperfect solution. I just can’t and won’t wear a wristband. I think their step count is inaccurate. 

Best Answer

I am thinking of doing the same. Do you know anyone that is clipping on the Alta? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Not personally, but I got the idea from another poster on this thread. Look back a few days and you should find that post. Let us know if it works for you.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

I have an Alta HR and purchased a 3d party clip from Amazon. So far, the step count matches my counting my steps! It matched my wrist reading as well when I counted my steps. BUT I wear a nice watch daily, so a clip was a MUST. I need to disconnect my ONE and run them together to compare. But remember even the One wasn't perfect with step count. Sometimes it counted steps I didn't make or miss steps I took. Now I too am skeptical about the wrist tracker, but so far the Alta HR has been pretty accurate. Today is the first full day of wearing it as a clip.

Best Answer