Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you read your Charge 3 in direct sunlight?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of my big questions is how easy can you read your Charge 3 in direct sunlight. I don’t need a watch/tracker that I need to cup my hands over to read.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
151 REPLIES 151

I worked with customer support yesterday - they're replacing the 2 that I purchased in Dec 2019.

So I'll soon know.

If no change, then these will be my last Fitbits

Best Answer
0 Votes

It seems that the problem occurs inconsistently.

We'll see if the replacements help. But the level of frustration in customers is evident and a design/manufacturing problem needs to be overcome permanently.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Versa Lite works great in direct sunlight and has all the functionality as the Chg 3 plus a lot more.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks, but don’t like the style watch.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had mine replaced as well - the replacement is just as poor in sunlight as the 1st.  I am rather skeptical of the few who say the new one works because I have yet to see one that does (I have seen several).

I have also bought a Garmin VA3 - WOW! What an improvement.  Yes, it's a bit more expensive (how much more really depends on the sale) but it is VASTLY superior - Fitbit has a challenge ahead if they want to compete; I hope they meet the challenge (the competition is good) and there is some ground to make up. (I still use the FB C3 because it's linked to my health insurance apps)

Best Answer

Why are you skeptical? Do you think we are lying or maybe we are paid by Fitbit? Did your Charge 3 not work well initially (if it didn't you should have returned it for a refund)? Mine worked well for 6 months. My replacement has worked well for 4 months.

I got into this forum to try to show people that it was possible to get a replacement. 

I am not happy with Fitbit for their poor handling of the deficiencies related to Charge 3's. I had a Surge before and it basically fell apart after 2 years but decided to give Fitbit one more chance. If this Charge 3 dies, I will check out Garmin.

Best Answer

All I wanted to do is to confirm with a person if getting a replacement solved the problem. That's called being an informed buyer. Because if the Charge 3 has a design and/or manufacturing flaw - I'd want to look at a different option.

So take a deep breath and perhaps a Valium or too.

Best Answer

Hello!

I got a Fitbit charge 3 July last year and I have been very satisfied with it until recently. I finally could go out running again after months not being able to due to a sports injury. But I wasn’t able to see my screen anymore outside, so I wasn’t able to track my run because I couldn’t start my run on my Fitbit. 

After I got home I checked the settings and it’s set to the brightest setting. But also at home it’s not as bright as it used to be. I did several resets, but unfortunately it didn’t work. I accidentally set the screen to the most dim setting and I almost wasn’t able to see the screen at all. And that wasn’t the case a while ago. 
Is there a way to fix this? Hope it can be!

Best Answer

@Scott355 I am skeptical because each person's perception of whether the screen is sufficiently bright is subjective - I intend no accusation of deception or ulterior motive.  What might seem to be sufficiently bright to one might not to another.  Plus, it seems to me that very few are happy with the brightness even after replacement under warranty (mine was replaced that way with no improvement in brightness).

Best Answer
TG,
You are correct, I live in AZ and play tennis. The sun here is very bright and I do not wear sunglasses when playing. All I can tell you that from any distance I look at the face of the watch it remains black, even with different faces, and replacement watches, and customer service assistance. Other people clearly don’t have my issue or don’t care. I do, as I can’t even tell the time when asked or want to know! In the shade you can almost see the figures when cupping you’re hand around your wrist. That’s the best it gets. Just commenting, not complaining.
Hopefully, the new rollout of the Charge 4 Sr. Leadership thought about those people who primarily are active outside, instead of the gym and took care of the lighting issue.
I did look at the newest features, but saw nothing mentioned about brightness. That alone I would not upgrade to the watch.
Best Answer

My screen is so dark when outside, that it is as if it wasn't active.

I understood that a firmware fix would resolve the issue - which has existed since I received the watch in Dec 2019. Same for my spouse.

So I'm encouraged that others are finding the replacements have - in some cases - resolved the issue.

I considered going for a different Fitbit - but I don't really need GPS and I hated my expensive iWatch. So I really would like the Charge 3 to be fixed/addressed.

I'll know by the end of next week.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My screen also has significantly dimmed recently for no logical reason. On "dim" it is nearly black and I had a difficult time just seeing the screen to change the setting back to normal. Under any brightness setting, the screen is now so dim it is impossible to read outdoors, which defeats the whole purpose of the device. I just chatted with a Fitbit rep and unfortunately, since my Charge 3 is outside the warranty period, the best they could offer is 25% off a new Fitbit. I'm not going to pay 75% of the price of a product that, for all I know, will have the same fatal defect as the one I have now, since this is apparently a widespread problem that renders the product useless outside. I've been a loyal Fitbit fanatic since 2014 and have owned 4 different Fitbits, but now I'm truly saddened to say I'll be looking into another company's product.

Best Answer

I tried to change the brightness on the Fitbit and the screen went completely black and none responsive. Reboot it and now all I see is a gray screen

Best Answer
0 Votes
Same result, different watch. It is still useless in sunlight!
Best Answer
Please read previous posting. No I can't.

Ted
Best Answer

When I tried to change the brightness the screen became so dark I needed to go up into a dark closet to see the settings to change it back to normal.  Good luck. This is getting worse 

Best Answer

An update:

Both of my Charge 3 were under warranty. Fitbit was very responsive and provided me with 2 new Charge 3 earlier this week.

TL;DR - no appreciable improvement

Longer version:

1) I didn't perform any setup

2) I placed a new Charge 3 directly adjacent to an existing Charge 3 on each wrist

3) I went into my garage with the lights off

4) All four (4) screens had the same intensity

5) I removed my glasses in case there is any polarization effect biasing the results

6) I spent an hour walking in the sunshine and 57 F with 1 new & 1 old on each wrist

7) I stopped at various times and compared intensity of all four (4) units with and without my glasses

Conclusion: the screens are basically unreadable and therefore this is a design issue

Conclusion 2: I carry my mobile phone with me anyway, so I'll stop trying to read the screens when outside in sunshine. And I will test any new activity device immediately upon purchase and return as defective if they aren't as readable as my iPhones and Androids in sunshine.

Best Answer

Nooooooooooo, you can't see a thing outdoors, direct sunlight or not, which renders it useless outside.  

Best Answer

For all of us hoping the Charge 4 would improve things....it looks like we will be disappointed: https://youtu.be/F7DoRoK2SYA?t=3256  (fast forward to 0:54:16 if the link fails to take you there)

Here's a side by side 'race' of Zwift vs FulGaz up Alpe d'Huez. Which app is most accurate? Which one will I get to the top of first? Dig in! Some baseline info: - Both apps were run on separate Apple TV 4K system - Both apps were configured for 100% trainer difficulty - Both apps were using a ...
Best Answer
0 Votes

TG,

Thanks for your post. Too bad the Charge 4 is no better than the 3. Can’t understand why the company doesn’t favor Its customers over quarterly sales Revenues. Very arrogant. 
Thank you for your input. 

Ted

Best Answer
0 Votes