Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you read your Charge 3 in direct sunlight?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of my big questions is how easy can you read your Charge 3 in direct sunlight. I don’t need a watch/tracker that I need to cup my hands over to read.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
151 REPLIES 151

I just received the same 25% off coupon to purchase a new Fitbit since I can't read anything on the display when outdoors.  I've decided to buy a Garmin instead. Some of their older models are about the same price and rated highly for visibility outdoors which is the main feature I need when hiking.  It's so frustrating to have no idea how far I've gone or for how long. Bye bye, Fitbit.

Best Answer

I have had this issue for months and tried fixing it by restarting the device, doing the hard restart and checking my brightness settings.  I finally contacted support and they only thing they would do for me is give me a discount on a new product.  Because I tried to correct it myself instead of contacting support right away I am being punished.  The customer service from FitBit is horrendous and I will not buy another product from them again.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry to hear that. Support replaced mine, but the the result was the same. Can’t view the time nor the data in the sunlight nor the shade. But that’s my view, my watch. Seems like a epidemic to me.
Best Answer
I don’t know your situation, if when you bought the watch you could view the face data in the sun or not, I could not from the start. Called customer support, who were very helpful but unfortunately nothing worked and I had to replace it. And again the same thing happen the replacement. So I went to the a store to if it was the watch a clerk and I brought a the sample outside. Couldn’t see.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have the same issue. I can't see anything outside, not even the time. My husband has a somewhat newer Charge 3 and he can see his much more clearly. You really should handle this issue. As others have said it will be the last Fitbit I purchase otherwise.

Best Answer

Thanks, seeing it much more clearly is subjective, to me I would like to be able to see the clock face in the full sun, and shade clearly without question, all data. 
I believe some Charge 3 can be seen in the sun, some, it’s a good product, just not outdoors. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have solved my problem with my fitbit…I replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy Fit! I do not have a problem seeing the Galaxy fit in direct sunlight.
Best Answer

That is completely false. It's impossible to see even the largest text including the digits of the clock even in overcast conditions, let alone in direct sunlight. And this is at the brightest setting. And yes I have perfectly good eyesight thank you for asking. It can only be used indoors.

Best Answer

No. My Charge 3 is useless outdoors. On an overcast day I can barely see the details on the screen, and in sunlight I might as well be looking at a Charge3 that's not even switched on. I've tried restarting it, resetting it, setting the screen brightness to auto or normal. I tried other watch faces too, and any where the text is even slightly greyed are absolutely hopeless. Combined with the constant "failed to sync" messages and the fact that it takes upon itself whether or not to start auto tracking an activity it's the worst fitness tracker I've ever wasted money on. I highly doubt I will buy another Fitbit product based on how this one has performed in the last 9 months. Disappointed doesn't even come close after chosing Fitbit over other more expensive options.

Best Answer

Just to be clear I wrote in response to AlejandraFitbits claim that the display can be read in direct sunlight. That is what is completely false. Steph3071, you are 100% right. It's useless outdoors in any kind of daytime lighting.

Best Answer
Yes, the Charge 3 is basically an indoor watch with no backlight. That’s why I just purchased a Garmin. In their marketing they clearly state the watch can be used for outdoor sports. (I know for a fact that in direct sunlight you can see the and clock face and data very clearly.) Receiving it next week.
Good luck.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Let’s not forget shade...
Best Answer
0 Votes
I’ve been looking at the Garmin range too. I considered getting the new AmazfitX, but decided against it as there is a lot it doesn’t do for the money. If Fitbit don’t resolve this issue I’ll be switching to Garmin. I do like the Fenix 6, but **ahem**, it’s pricey!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yep, it depends on what sport you do, how often you do it, where, you do it. All I know is, if the Fitbit does not have a backlight, I’m not buying it. It’s too late now, as I already purchased a Garmin. Too many disappointments from Fitbit. They just don’t care.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I cannot read my C3 in direct sunlight at all and only just outside in overcast conditions. It is also too bright at night! Have they got the light intensity  logic wrong ?

Also mine has now stopped turning the screen on when I lift my arm up to read it. 
As Fitbit don’t seem to be addressing the problem, what is the best alternative? I use mine to track cycling trips synching with Strava.

Best Answer

I would recommend looking at some of the alternatives from Garmin. They have Spring offers on at the moment if you go to the manufacturers website.

Best Answer
Thanks. Pulled the trigger already on the Garmin

Ted
Best Answer

I having the same issue. Can’t see my C3 at all in sunlight. My husband has the same Fitbit device and is able to read his. I used to be able to see it, but as mine, too, changed during a recent update. I’m sorry read others have gone to other devices by other companies. I love my C3 otherwise but I, too, use mine as a watch. I’m disappointed and Fitbit hasn’t addressed this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m glad your husband can read his. I tried 3x - Fitbit stuck out...I switched to their competitor and even happier.
Would suggest you call customer service....maybe they will try to fix your, or even replace it if unsuccessful. Good luck.
Ted
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks much, Ted. I’m seriously looking at Apple Watches………..now if they were just a bit less expensive. 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes