Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 screen went blank

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've had my Charge 3 a little over a month. Last night my screen went blank. It was at 100% battery. It is still syncing with the app so I can see that it is still tracking my steps and sleep, etc. When I tried to restart it by placing it on the charger and holding down the side button for 8 secs. When I hold the button down it does a very quick pulse vibe about 4 times and then nothing. I've tried holding it longer than 8 secs also and still nothing. Very frustrated to be having this issue with a brand new product. Contemplating returning the one I bought my husband for Christmas and returning mine as well if not resolved immediately.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
620 REPLIES 620

Shals (and all):

I had another "working fine, but blank screen" event this weekend.  With some more fiddling, I am more convinced than ever it is something wrong with either the battery or the battery monitoring circuit.

For those that just want it fixed, I fear it is a hardware issue and knowing what is failing will be of little value.  By knowing what is failing though, if you want to just keep it working, this may help in avoiding/mitigating the problem. I am an electrical engineer, so at least have some pretty good ideas on what is going on inside the unit.  If you just want the recommendation, that is the last paragraph.

After noticing the blank screen a few days ago, I set to fiddling with the unit.  After several tries of doing the reset procedure outlined by AlajandraFitbit (4th post in this thread), I finally got a screen back.  It was about the third try.  The screen I got, however, was a battery with an exclamation mark.  With a live screen now, i started plugging and unplugging the fitbit every minute or so to get the battery gauge.  It want from 0% initially, to 25%, then about 5 minutes later to 85%.  My last sync a few hours earlier before the screen went blank reported 92%.  There is no physical way the battery can go from 92% to 0% in a few hours, or from 0% to 85% in 15 mins, so while it could be the battery, I'm pretty sure it is the battery monitoring circuit that is confused.  I'm also pretty sure the reason we are getting the blank screen is with the fitbit thinking the battery is nearly dead, it is simply in an aggressive power saving mode.

What I'm trying: My normal usage is charging for 10-15 mins each day while showering, this kept the battery above 85%, but rarely to 100%.  For the past 4-ish months, twice a week I've purposely left it charging to get up to 100% and continued leaving it in for 20+ mins afterwards.  My theory is its thinking the battery is more charged than it is and the battery is dying despite what the fitbit thinks the charge is.  With that, my incidence of problems has decreased, but not gone away completely.  With the incident this weekend I'm even more convinced this is the issue, so now going to try the opposite tact and purposely let the fitbit discharge completely in hopes that it may reset what it thinks is discharged.

This is all experimenting blindly--and the reason my fitbit is failing may be different than yours even with the same symptoms, so YMMV clearly.  If I am on the right track though, the data is suggesting the best advice is to put your fitbit into a charger for a long time (overnight), then do the reset procedure at the top of this post.  If the fitbit is erroneously thinking the battery is dead, the reset procedure isn't doing anything, it only "works" eventually because we're getting enough charge into the fitbit to get it out of the aggressive power saving mode.  How much charging it takes to get un-confused seems quite variable which is why we're seeing such widely varying results.

Very long post, while I know it won't be useful to some, hope it is useful to others!

will

Best Answer
Open your app and change your clock face. That will cause it to restart.
Only thing I found that works. Hope this helps.
Best Answer

Jediknight:  That is an interesting idea!  Will try that next time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My issue is very similar to mine. I will try these instructions and hope for the best.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Worked for me! Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Joamandajo:  Yay!  Glad it worked for you.

All: It took about 10 days, but finally ran my battery all the way down.  I certainly got the battery with the exclamation mark at 20% and below.  I didn't see the mode with a blank display but functioning fitbit while discharging, it just went from working display to off, but that could have been timing.  After plugging it back in on a dead battery I could get it to buzzing with a still blank display by pressing the side button, but that was only for 10-20 seconds in the charger before finally the display lit up.  So, not 100% corroboration, but certainly very similar symptoms at least.  The battery is clearly OK given it took 10 days to discharge, my guess is something faulty with the battery charge monitoring circuit that is sending false "dead" info to the fitbit.

BOTTOM LINE: If the root cause for you is the same as mine, add some time in the charger before doing the reset sequence to your procedure to recover the fitbit.  That is needed even if your battery is mostly charged.

Good Luck!

will

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm at day 5 of a black screen.  Though I have had this happen before, after 3 attempts at restarting, I finally get the smiley face.  Now, I have done all of the suggested "fixes" (switch clock face, on charger and hold for 15 sec, then off charger, then back on) in this thread more times than I can remember, and still black.  Still keeping track of steps and sleep, but it's very annoying that I can track exercise or receive notifications.  Since I've owned less than a year, really hoping the warranty will allow for a replacement!

Best Answer

yep...tried that twice.I sent my last one back because if a sync issue.This time it just went black,still working on app but....I cant see anything....very sad.I love the fitbit..when it works

Best Answer
Hello...I just sent mine back and will try again as I too love the device.
Will keep you posted. Customer service was responsive to me which was a
plus.
Best Answer

yes I must say CS for the company has been the best...now if I could just get this to work again!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

my charge3 also has no display. I have tried the reset a few times but nothing is happening.  The Fitbit is still working but I have to check on my phone to see any activity.  I was hoping there might be an upgrade which would sort it out but there hasn’t been anything.  

I note that this seems to be a very common problem rendering the fit bit not fit for purpose.  I’m very disappointed as it is well  under a year old and was quite expensive. 

Can it be replaced?   I’m doing the Great South Run next month and was relying on this to help me 

Jo

Best Answer
I had great success with customer service. Made the return very easy.
They will replace it with the same model or give you 50% off a new purchase
(excluding the Versa 2). I'm hoping the Charge 3 Special Edition will have
less issues.
Good Luck!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I contacted CS and got mine replaced just today. There is a 1 year
warranty. Mine replacement Fitbit Charge 3 is in the mail after a
successful call into CS. Good luck!
Best Answer

All:  I thought it was a 90-day warranty, my fitbit still is under warranty!    I called CS, but alas not quite so lucky in a fast replacement as the rest of you.  I was asked to change the clock face first, then if it crashes again, then they will offer a replacement.  Seemed like a bit of a runaround as they blamed it on the clock app without even knowing what clock app I was running and asking me to pick any random clock app to replace it with.  In any event, I have the case number and can call back again when my fitbit burps next.

will

Best Answer
Well this is my 2nd charge 3, and I keep having this black screen I have
tried for about 4 days at least 3 or 4 times A-day, I have clean the
contacts and done everything I know to do so I will try customer support at
this time ,as I love my fitbit but getting a new one every year is not
exactly what I had intended lol
Best Answer
0 Votes
Good luck!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Ty
Best Answer
0 Votes

My charge3 will not reboot.  I did the download in June and it has not worked since - let me say the screen is not lit up so I can see anything.  I can feel it pulsing and if I wear it without being able to see the time or anything else - it will sync to my phone.  I am so frustrated!  I have plugged it in, held the button for the 15 seconds, unplugged it, plugged it back in and feel it rebooting, but can see nothing!  I have done this multiple times.  This was an expensive item that I can no longer use.  Will not recommend Fitbits to anyone...

Best Answer
The last try, is to try changing the clock face to see if that jolts it.
If still no success, the warranty is for a full year. I had no issues with
customer service when I called. I received my replacement and am back up
and running. I know it's frustrating, but FitBit will rectify the issue if
you give them a chance. Good luck!
Best Answer

I have tried all the suggested fixed but my go fitbit still wont light up. It still vibrates and tracks but i cant see anything. This is the second time. The first time it took days then just worked. Any other options? I've only had it a few months

Best Answer
0 Votes