Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory reset Charge 2

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Greetings,

my wife wants a different Fitbit and I am taking her brand new Charge 2. How do I reset to factory settings so that I can use it?

Thanks\

Tor

Best Answer
177 REPLIES 177

If you remove the tracker from the app, you simply are remov8ng it from your Fitbit account. This also could be done from your settings on fitbit.com.

It is safer to set it up as a replacement unit.

Usuwlly when all else fails, removing the tracker from the Phones Bluetooth is enough to fix it. Removing it from your account usually means tyat the first problem still needs to be fixed, before you will be able to set tye tracker up. Leaving thr tracker attached, means Fitbit knows what tracker to try and sync. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

As your new phone is searching for the fit bit. That's when you should plug it into the charger and hold down the button for 4-5 seconds. The fit bit should be found and display the code needed to pair. 🙂

Best Answer

I have just been given my friend's old Fitbit Charge 2 and created a Fitbit account for the first time. 

But all my friend's step data is showing up on my profile! And so are all his badges! 

Everything I've read online so far says that this shouldn't happen. 

I really need need some help as I am much less fit than he is and I hate that the Fitbit is telling me I'm doing badly!

Best Answer

This is not the case for me. 

I was was given a friend's Fitbit Charge 2 and I added it to my account and all his data came along with it and my email exploded with all of the badges he had ever received all syncing at once. 

This is is an infuriating problem - I just want my tracker to be As New. 

Best Answer

@TheBabadook sorry to here that,  my experience has been good. Having multiple accounts and lending trackers to family members i have not had this problem.

My thought would be contact.fitbit.com  let them know if your experience,  they can delete your account. You should  then be good to create a new one with the same email.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I rang them up and they said it was an issue with the dashboard not an issue with the tracker? 

The phone consultant said what has happened for me is a "one in a million" thing and they have escalated it to a senior customer service department who will email me within a few days to fix the problem. 

Will keep this thread updated 

Best Answer
0 Votes

For anyone else looking at how to factory reset it would seem removing from your account *on it's own* is not enough. I found that using fitbit connect (on my mac) and asking to sync (which seems counter-intuitive) was also required. That has put it back into setup mode.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sorry but that's not the case.  I bought a new Charge 2 today.  Gave the old one to my wife and she hooked it up to her account as per your instructions and it still has my data on it. I believe it will need a factory reset.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@S3nsfan,

Once you remove it from your account (and hence not attached to any account), it will eventually go back into factory reset mode.  You may need to try to sync with it, but trust me on this... I've done it about 3 times.  Here's what it looks like:

fitbit-charge2-factoryreset.jpg

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Before giving it,  Did you

1. Remove it from your online account (devices on your online Fitbit account)

*And*

2. Sync that account (no matter how daft it sounds given the charge 2 is removed from it) with your old charge 2

And was it then setup mode?

All I can say is after I did those two things it was back in setup mode. Doing one alone did not put it into setup mode and obviously they need to be done in order.

It is quite possible that step 2 is more of a timing thing (IE maybe the charge figures out for itself that it is no longer connected to anyone) but as I say I had tried the removal step but in my case, that alone did not put the charge back into setup mode

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here are the following steps you need to do in order to use your charge 2 on a different account.
For example - If you are exchanging or borrowing the Fitbit charge 2 from your friend or family member, the charge 2 device need to be reset to use on a new account and on a new device.

here are the quick steps that you need to follow: For example here I am handing over the charge 2 from my account to my wife.

Step 1 : Go to the first device where the charge 2 was already connected. Get into the Fitbit app and "Remove the Charge 2" from the App.

Step 2 : Go to the phone Bluetooth settings and "Forget the device" means remove the charge 2 device from the available Bluetooth list.

Step 3 : Turn off the Bluetooth. This is the atmost important step.

Step 4 : Go to second device (Here its my wife's phone) turn on the Bluetooth and install the Fitbit App. Go through all the regular procedure.

Step 5 : When the app starts to search for device, connect the charge 2 to any USB power - either wall or laptop, and make sure the charging logo is displayed on the front.
With charger connected to the power source, press and hold the power button for 4 seconds, you will feel the vibration along with the Fitbit logo displayed on the screen.

Step 6 : After Step 5 You will see the app will say "Connecting to your device" and it will prompt for the 4 digit security code which will be displayed on the screen of charge 2.
Enter those security code in the app and continue the steps.
This way your second device got connected with the charge 2 with the new account.
Remember only one account can gather the data from the device. In the above case the old device will no more get the charge 2 data.
Hope this helps everyone who wish to hand over their charge 2 to someone!!
cheers...Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I came here to post the same answer to the issue and found your response.  Been trying all morning to update and sync.  The Android bluetooth settings > "Forget this Device" was the trick for me too.

Best Answer

How do I go about unparing the device?  I bought mine on Sunday but will be returning today because I basically sit all day at work and by the end of the day I'm close to my goal.  Not cool.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DeniseGetsFit you unpair your device by removing it from your phones/computers bluetooth settings.

You would remove the device from your account by doing a sync, then using the garbage can.

About steps from arm movements and driving, this is a problem to some extent for every arm based trackee on the market. Your tracker is on the arm and therefore is monitoring arm motions. If the arm motions look as if the feet are moving, steps will be counted.

Have you tried changing the arm settings, this i have found drastically changes the way steps are counted.

Depending on what you do at work, maybe the Zip or Fiybit One would be a better choice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

I am having major issues! I have been trying to reset my fitbit for a few months now. The steps you are showing is not working for me. Every time I put my fitbit on the charger cord and then push the button all I keep doing is putting my notifications on and off, even when I keep pushing it, Nothing ever comes up or shows me anything thats changed. HELP ME PLEASE!

Best Answer

@antes wrote:

Hello,

I am having major issues! I have been trying to reset my fitbit for a few months now. The steps you are showing is not working for me. Every time I put my fitbit on the charger cord and then push the button all I keep doing is putting my notifications on and off, even when I keep pushing it, Nothing ever comes up or shows me anything thats changed. HELP ME PLEASE!

@antes

Is the charger cord plugged into a charger?  The reset will only happen when the tracker is charging.  What you're describing is what would happen if there was no power in the charging cable, or it had power but wasn't seated correctly on the tracker.

Gary D.| Feeding Hills, MA MBG PE

Charge HR, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire 2, Charge 4, Charge 5, Pixel Watch 2

Best Answer

How do you unpair the charge 2?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Go into the Bluetooth settings of the device that you want to unpair, then tell it to forget or remove or delete. I don't know what the option is. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@somesharun thank you for your advice! I was about to request help from Fitbit and your guide solved the problem! This should be a sticky!

For everyone's background that are about to loose faith on this device, I'm giving my Charge 2 to my wife. I removed it from my Fitbit account and also from my phone. Deleted the app on my phone and turned off bluetooth on my phone.

Now, after that I installed the app on my wife's phone. I turned off Bluetooth on her phone, opened the app and set it to discover the Fitbit. It asked me for permissions (which of course I granted, it would enable bluetooth). Now the tricky part... I plugged the Charge 2 to my computer USB, the logo changed to the charging battery, then I pressed the button until it gives the firmware version and vibrates. I left the FItbit alone. The app timed-out searching for the FItbit so I asked it to retry and there you go...it found it!

Then the Charge 2 will give me the 4 digit code and then you can enter it on the app and you are ready to go.

I tested this on my wife's phone and mine and it worked. Hopefully that would work on yours.

Best Answer

Check out my post below with the name "somesharun". You can start your device as new.

Best Answer
0 Votes