Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen cracked in heat

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit charge 2 is a new band. My daughter and I upgraded to charge 2. Bought them in December. We're in Jamaica for a week February, doing nothing but walking the beach. Mine was fine in the morning when I was done walking my 10000 steps my screen was cracked down the center and along the bottom. My daughter woke up the next morning and hers was also cracked the same way. We didn't do anything but walk the beach. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
412 REPLIES 412

My husband called customer support and spoke with probably 10 different people, they all said the same thing, that the best they could do was 20% off a new one. The cracks have recently gotten worse still due to no fault of my own. I thought about calling again. Hopefully they'll get it straightened out. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have just noticed a few complaints the same as mine. I have just emailed fitbit as while I was on holiday my fitbit screen broke. I believe due to the heat. Could be a problem with them. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have since contacted fitbit via click to chat customer service. They
asked me to upload them a picture of the damage with a handwritten note
explaining the trouble and the case number (which they assigned) and are
sending a replacement. I've been checking with anyone and everyone I see
who has this model; almost all of them have an identical crack.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I believe there is a problem. I was on deck of a cruise ship which was 33 degrees then went into the air conditioning. I believe that its a stress fracture. Fitbit have asked me to send back for examination and replacement.

@3mily wrote:

I have just noticed a few complaints the same as mine. I have just emailed fitbit as while I was on holiday my fitbit screen broke. I believe due to the heat. Could be a problem with them. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi zebra jogger how are you?
I got my replacement last week, but I have no idea what to do with it!
I'm a cowboy by trade if it includes mules or cows I know what to do with it I'll just have to wait till one of my kids come up and have them program it for me

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi I got my Fitbit last week but will have to wait till one of my kids come up to get this thing turned on,
I'm a cowboy by trade if concern mules or cattle I know what to do

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just returned from holiday in Mauritius and my wife's charge 2 ( new Dec 2016 xmas) has also split right down the centre of the screen. I couldn't wear mine during the holiday as my strap broke whilst going through passport control, and it spent the holiday in the safe. 

Looks like there is product fault here, 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lisa. 

Did you get anywhere here with customer services. I have had exactly the same problem while on holiday in America. I have had a email back offering 25% off a new one. I feel it is a fault with this model and as you stated not fit for purpose. 

Emily 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here with my Charge 2, it cracked when I was on the beach. Definitely a design flaw.

This watch sadly doesn't have good quality... if it was then no one's screens would be cracking like crazy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's to bad because I like my Fitbit when I'm in the gym, I got my replacement but am afraid to put it in service and it always seems the battery runs out at the worst time when I can't stop and go plug it in,

i cowboy for a living so I'm always out in the mountains with the cows, I'm thinking of just going back to a watch with a battery that lasts more than 4 or 5 days,

i know hind sight is always 20 20

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, the screen on my charge2 has a hairline crack. I thought it was a scratch but sadly it's not. Is there anything I can doA isn't it covered by warranty? I haven't banged it or dropped it so am pretty annoyed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine has 4 of those and unfortunately theyre getting worse. Fitbit could only offer me 20% off a new one but if you call they might replace yours. There have been a few people that have gotten a replacement. Im not sure why or how my situation is different. I hope you get some answers!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello Sec79, since getting the screen cracks I avoid getting my device wet and use screen protectors. My screen has been cracked for three months now and still functions correctly and the cracks don't appear to have got worse. Hope that this helps you.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. I 'll give them a try.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I came on for something to do with a problem with the app but saw these messages, I hope fitbit recognise the fault, if they have changed the screen in anyway within the last year then it should be acknowledged that is it their fault. 

I bought my fitbit 02/02/17 in the UK and I have worn it everyday without fail I have slept with it on my wrist every single night I've not missed wearing it, I charge it when I know Im going to be sat down in the day. It has had a protective screen on since the day I bought it and yes that protector is scratched but not a crack and I have bashed it a few times. My strap I wear slightly loose not over tight, the strap has bubbled from the top of screen but to be fair 223 days probably on average 23h a day which is wear and tear easy to replace. My partner has the same one and uses it the same as me and he needs a new strap too but no cracks. 

Something has clearly changed since we bought ours to have these many people come forwards with the same issue shame on Fitbit for not acknowledging this sooner, yes they have done replacements but if you replace with a defect product with a defect product ofc it's only going to do the same again. I really hope that you all get sorted can't believe how unhelpful they have been to some people. I will take this into account for future purchases and I am sure others will they are damaging their own reputation here. 

Best Answer
Try the Chat option guys. They seem to be more responsive when you go that route.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with Bizzer2888. Noticed cracked screen on my Charge 2 whilst on holiday in US- 42 degrees temperature. I have noticed the hairline crack one morning after charging, I have not banged it and I am very careful about my general stuff. I did wear it every day since I bought it in February 17 and had no issues in UK. Obviously I was very disappointed, on our return back to UK, we called customer service who confirmed, this was within warranty, but we need to send a photo etc to them. The following morning we received email offering 20% off. My husband is an engineer and he has recognised straight away the crack is coming within the watch upwards, rather than being hit from the top surface. We have called them the following morning and spoke to very nice lady in EU, explained our situation, she has looked at the photo and has agreed with my husband. What was interesting, she has not commented on my husband's opinion about potential heath glass/defect on this watch, which is all over the internet. I have received within minutes a link, for my new charge 2 replacement. I am happy with the outcome, however I will be very wary to wear the watch again.

Best Answer
It was whilst on holiday in Greece, and it's accompanying temperature, that I noticed my cracked screen. It had crossed my mind that it was due to the expansion of glass due to heat.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Willies62 I'm sorry to hear you've been dealing with a cracked screen on your Charge 2. I decided to create a case for you on your behalf. Our Support team will be contacting you shortly to offer their assistance. Please keep a lookout on your inbox for the email address registered with this account. If you have any questions, I'll be around and am happy to help. 

So everyone is aware, our team is informed about this 'cracked screen' issue and have been investigating for some time now. This specific screen crack is not being caused by any forced or accidental damage, instead, the screen becomes cracked on its own from environmental factors. If anyone has yet to contact our Support team, please do so and they can offer their assistance. To be clear, our warranty does not cover accidental screen damage so please note the difference with this issue. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
Thank you, this is such a relief to hear. My Fitbit has been helping me to recover from major Cardiac surgery and I am currently on a phased return to work after 2yrs 5months off, a stressful time hence my not chasing up. Thank you for your support and assistance it is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Andrew

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer