Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen cracked in heat

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit charge 2 is a new band. My daughter and I upgraded to charge 2. Bought them in December. We're in Jamaica for a week February, doing nothing but walking the beach. Mine was fine in the morning when I was done walking my 10000 steps my screen was cracked down the center and along the bottom. My daughter woke up the next morning and hers was also cracked the same way. We didn't do anything but walk the beach. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
412 REPLIES 412
Well I'm not going to to be honest. They've told me that the warranty started when I first paired a device in 2016. I told them the replacement didn't come till late 2017 but they won't acknowledge it's still under warranty despite the replacement obviously being brand new when I received it.
They've offered me 25% of a new product but that means it will have no warranty at all.
Personally if I was you, I wouldn't give them your money again. They're not honouring the fact that there is a manufacturing fault.

Kind Regards
Yvette
Best Answer

I called customer support today.  They asked for a photo of the front of the watch.  I wear my watch everywhere, so the front has a lot of scratched.   I was told, again, that my abuse of the product caused this issue.  They did not like the third party bands on the device.  They offered a 25% discount for orders on their website.

I told them that their poorly design product and abusive customer support lost them a customer.

Good bye Fitbit.  I hope your company goes under shortly.

any suggestion for a replacement?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yep same here I'm afraid. I've been looking at Garmin but haven't explored it yet.

Kind Regards
Yvette
Best Answer

I have had my fitbit charge  2 since 2016 and was shocked to find on Saturday whilst sat in the garden in the sun that the screen has cracked. I am a bit shocked to be honest as it has been a perfect purchase until now. Has Fitbit actually acknowledged a fault as only found this forum whilst searching to see if it could be replaced. NOT HAPPY 😡

Best Answer

I am so glad I saw these posts about a fitbit screen crack in heat.  Just returned from Atlantic City yesterday.  While there, I  tried to protect it from the sun and theft while at the beach if I wasn't wearing it but it still was really hot when I put it on - yesterday was definitely a scorcher.  Everything seemed good when we drove back last night.  Woke up today with a cracked screen.  It Sucks, but glad I am not alone and that I am not mystified about the cause. . .

Best Answer

Welcome to the design defect club.  If you are lucky and the watch is still under warranty you might get a replacement.  If it is out of warranty, they will offer a small (25%) discount an new watch from there online store (over priced).

Best Answer
0 Votes
Doesn’t solve the problem though of a defective and faulty design issue

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes..I definitely think it may be a heat expansion issue.  I woke up this morning with an identical vertical crack--just off center.  Again, no possibility of external forces causing it, because I had coincidentally cleaned the band off with a dry cloth and inspected the entire unit before going to bed. Colorado is experiencing the same excessive summer temperatures as the rest of the country, yet my own exercise is completed just before and after dawn, when ambient temps are still mild and there is no way it had any degree of direct sun damaging it. 

As common as this is from a quick google search, I think fitbit R&D owes it to its loyal users to examine both the lithium battery to see if environmental heat related expansion is causing this, as well as the expansive capabilities of the screen material/components.

I am convinced that no screen protector in the world would have prevented this since it is simply not possible that I damaged the screen through external damage.

I love my fitbit and it is (for the time being) still working, but this is both frustrating and IMO preventable.  I know fitbit won't replace mine (I've read all the comments from others) but they need to FIX this!

Best Answer

As Fitbit has still not addressed this, one has to assume the Charge 3 has the same design fault.  The posting seem to bear this out.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-3/Charge-3-screen-cracked/td-p/3009605

Best Answer

I have also discovered that my screen cracked last week I was trying to wrack my brains as to if I had dropped it, no obvious marks. I am now putting it down to the extreme heat w3 experienced in u.k. last week. I have had the fit bit since December last year 2018. I was wondering where to go from here thanks. Karen

Best Answer
0 Votes
Karen, I have had new for a while now and again, last week in the heat, this one has cracked from the inside out. Fitbit really need to acknowledge this is a problem and do something about it. I guess we all need to start jumping up and down and spreading the word on social media not to buy them due to this fault and they may take notice.

Good Luck with getting a replacement.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
All sorted replaced under warranty.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Just returned from 2 weeks holiday in Greece. Both mine and my wife's fitbit charge 2 have cracked in almost identical fashion. Looks like heat is a major issue.
Best Answer
Spoiler
Well don’t expect any comeback from fit bit . They are adamant it’s foy for purpose and refuse to do anything other than 20% discount if a new one!!!! 
Like that’s gonna happen😩
Best Answer
0 Votes

I quote 5F88A6CF-9EAA-4170-80B9-84032BF89199.png

Best Answer

If you are from England, you have a two year warranty, otherwise it is one year, from the date of purchase of the original unit.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I know thanks all sorted replacement on its way.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had two Fitbit charge 2’s with a cracked screen. The first was replaced under the 2 year warranty but the replacement I received, now with a cracked screen, is not covered by a 2 year warranty as it is a replacement! and they will not replace again only give a 25% discount off something that could potentially do the same thing! .  I feel this is unacceptable as the product is not fit for purpose and has a known fault.  Thousands of people have had the same issue and Fitbit should acknowledge this and have some goodwill to its customers despite company policy. I feel I should contact trading standards to advise on this matter. Selling known defective goods is certainly not right or should be acceptable. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Totally agree with you. As a company they just will not budge on the fact that there is NO fault in the design. Shouldn’t crack regardless of the age of the product. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Lucky you! Still doesn’t resolve the ongoing issue that this is a design fault of the watch and a WARNING should be out in the instruction manual NOT to wear in the sun if it cannot stand the heat. 

Best Answer