Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen cracked in heat

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit charge 2 is a new band. My daughter and I upgraded to charge 2. Bought them in December. We're in Jamaica for a week February, doing nothing but walking the beach. Mine was fine in the morning when I was done walking my 10000 steps my screen was cracked down the center and along the bottom. My daughter woke up the next morning and hers was also cracked the same way. We didn't do anything but walk the beach. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
412 REPLIES 412

There is another thread about this and appears to be a serious issue and all of them will probably fail exposed to sun and heat. Screen Cracked

Best Answer
0 Votes

My screened cracked also because of the heat.  It is being replaced but my concern is this a fatal design flaw?  I bought this to run with and to ride my bike.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you have a contact number? Mine is cracked as well and not sure if a screen thing or face thing. But afraid if water gets in will all be damaged!! Help!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just sent an email, then I found a number on their website, where it says contact us.  

Best Answer

Seems there are a number of us that have a similar experience in the heat.  I, too, was at the beach last week.  I ran two longish runs and it cracked during one of them (I think the second one when I was running in the midday sun).  In addition, I went to the pool a couple of days where I took my Charge 2 off my wrist (but I don't think it was in direct sunlight when I had it off my wrist as I placed it under the chair where I was sitting).  In any case, the temperatures were well in to the high 80's or low 90's and there was plenty of direct, bright sunshine at the time when I was running.  

The crack extended more or less down the center of the display from the top to nearly the entire way down to the bottom (see picture).  I contacted customer support via chat and I provided the information requested.  The Fitbit representative that I chatted with online could see when I first registered the tracker in April and requested that I send a picture along with a tracking number he supplied to me.  I suspect that it may be a differential heating issue associated with how the screen is mounted on the tracker. Call it a design flaw. That black screen can absorb a lot of heat from direct sunlight.  

It was determined that the tracker was still under warranty.  I was provided an option of a discount on another Fitbit tracker other than the Charge 2 or replacement of the Charge 2.  I considered going with the Altra HR (not as wide, but is "waterproof" as I recall), but selected the Charge 2 replacement option since I'm generally satisfied with the performance of the Charge 2.  I'm concerned, however, because I have lots of summer training coming up for a marathon and a couple of shorter races in the fall and many of my runs occur midday.  

The resolution of the issue was handled quickly through the chat option.  If you have a similar issue/problem, I found this option to be very satisfactory.  

Crack down the center of the screenCrack down the center of the screen

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 2 also developed a crack this weekend.  It has been hot here, but my outside time is limited to dog walks.   i noticed the screen was cracked after overnight charging.  Contacted fitbit by chat and they are providing replacement.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did u tell them how you did it?  So they just replaced it for free?

Best Answer
0 Votes
No I didn't contact the company about the screen at all. Didn't know about this problem until recently. I just brought the screen protector from Best Buy but that didn't do much because it continued to crack. It's been over a year now so I doubt they do anything about replacing my device but I do wish others luck!!! GOD BLESS to ALL

Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App
Best Answer
0 Votes
Can you please share the website with the number? Thanks

Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I said it had suffered the damage due to a fault not due to me, so it was not fit for purpose.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I told them I looked at it and it was fine.  The next time it had cracked, I wasn't doing anything it just happened!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes same as mine. I just argued and got what I wanted eventually. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
It's the fit bit web site I did live chat .

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Have received a replacement Fitbit, very impressive customer service. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks, I always use a screen protector and I am happy to say FitBit is sending a replacement!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I tryed to contact Fitbit as well about this. The chat would never come up and I never received a reply to my emails. It would seem that this cracked screen issue is a big problem for them. It's not from abuse, rather poor materials.We had two of these randomly crack right down the middle. They were both bought as the same time. I'm thinking iWatch next instead. Awful customer service!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the iwatch now and love it. It's taken a few unlucky falls and hasn't gotten even a scratch.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I contacted Fitbit via Live Chat, explained that my Fitbit cracked whilst I was in Rome, not even wearing it at the time. They requested a photo, then offered me 50% off a complete new tracker with strap, or - completely free tracker without strap; I picked the latter as there was no problem with strap. My Fitbit was a Mothers Day present from my children and only 2 months old. I received the new tracker within about 5 days. I was expecting a long drawn out saga. As others had experienced, but have to say my complaint was sorted to my satisfaction and very quickly, no complaints. GOOD LUCK

Best Answer
0 Votes

My daughter's Charge 2 screen cracked while it was charging.  I followed the advice of others who responded to this thread, and I contacted Fitbit directly through their online chat.  The rep was fantastic; we needed to attach a picture of the Fitbit with the assigned case number in the picture (wrote the number on a piece of paper).  Within minutes, the rep wrote that the warranty covered the situation, and he emailed me two options: 50% off a newer product or a full replacement of the Charge 2.  (It's now been 10 hours since contacting Fitbit, and I've received an email with the shipment tracking number.)  I would highly recommend contacting Fitbit directly.  The rep said he has heard of others complaining about their screens cracking, but Fitbit isn't getting lots of direct, formal customer complaints.  (The whole process in getting things resolved took me less than half an hour.). Best of luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I did that and they offered 25% off. After pushing for a little I got 50% off, but why should I have to pay for a new Fitbit that broke while I was sleeping after only a few months of use.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes