Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS accuracy during exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Picture says more than thousand words so... picture first.fitbit.jpg

How can it be that the same lap is measured THAT wrong. It is 1,27 km difference which is BAD. Both lines run on the same road so it can not be just "difference". Step count is the same and also the time. Which one can I trust at all? It isn't the first time it has happened (at least once more). 

FitBit app is up to date. My Versa 2 is up to date.

I started my run the same way: opened exercise - choose "run" - wait FitBit to connect with "connected GPS" - start!

Also the settings are the same when I start the run. I activate "do not disturb" and "always on display".

Am I doing something wrong? Is the app so bad that it does not know how to calculate distance? Is it problem with my watch? I looked into it and it seems this problem has been with you for 3.5 years. Is there seriously no fix?

Anyways, I posted this in "App" section because it seems to be problem with an app. If not let me know.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
185 REPLIES 185

@DawnH1 I bet they will just simply stop people commenting on the forum post again...!

I went for a walk recently.

• Fitbit = 1.80/1.83 Miles (depending which you look at)
  • Exported data from Fitbit's website = 2.6 Miles
  • MapMyRide = 2.49 Miles

Discrepancy of 0.1 miles is acceptable between MapMyRide and the TCX exported from Fitbit's website.   Discrepancy between Fitbit and Fitbit's raw data of 0.8 miles is unacceptable.

Here's screenshots for proof:

Fitbit app

TheJBird_0-1590661382546.png

Fitbit data (TCX file):

TheJBird_1-1590661424126.png

MapMyRide:

TheJBird_2-1590661513331.png

This again proves there's an issue with the Fitbit app, as the raw data is correct, plus also a 3rd party app confirms the raw data is correct.

Best Answer

@TheJBird it says a lot about fitbit, that they would rather shut down conversations rather than address, admit and fix the problem. Seems like an easy fix if the raw data is correct. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've logged a support ticket with them, both pointing to this thread, plus also the other thread which was closed down.

Hopefully will give some insight...

Although in the other thread, it looks like lots of people had contacted support, and support's response was with regards it estimating based on steps rather than GPS...! 🤣

Best Answer

@TheJBird hopefully we will get somewhere. Hopefully,  it is someone that actually reads the threads and doesnt give the usual its stride length! GPS drops out etc...My run was out again, the level of frustration with the watch atm is through the roof.

Best Answer
0 Votes

GPS data is broken on Fitbit. Its as simple as that and no fix is in sight:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa-Smartwatches/Distance-on-GPS-map-doesn-t-match-with-exercise-s...

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I have had 3 test runs with my settings. Here are the results

DateFitbit dashboard (km)Strava recalculation (km)Difference

7,758,20-0,45
28.058,298,23+0,06
27.058,238,10+0,13

And a runs from before.

25.0510,108,23+1,87
24.058,078,25-0,18
20.057,578,23-0,48

I just found out that on Fitbit website there are two distances (one on the blue bar and one on the map).

On the 28th and 27th there was small difference. These were the days I ran with the screen always on. On the 24th there was a little bigger difference which was a day when I ran with 1 km screen on and after that off.

It seems for me the lock screen plays a big role. I can assume it is some syncing problem or the app goes to sleep. I also have biometrics / pin enabled so 'higher security' also can play role. Depends on where the calculations are made it might be the issue why the distance is not accurate. Maybe @RicardoFitbit can give some information or take some from here.

I will keep testing my runs with "no locked screen" so I can find out if that really works or it was just dumb luck. If you want to try it out also I suggest downloading "No Pause Lock" or something similar from Play store. These apps will lock touch functions and does not lock the phone. I use "No Pause Lock" with proximity sensor and put a sock over the top of the phone.

Since the problem seems to only occur on Android phones, especially on Samsung, I will create a topic there too. It might be some kind of "battery optimization" or some else problem so I will ask for advice from there. It seems that iPhones have not that problem, because there have been post where "my wife's iPhone is accurate" 😀

@DawnH1 I have found out that Fitbit needs Bluetooth to sync. If I am in WIFI range and I have Bluetooth of, I can not sync.

Best Answer

I've had this same issue while being on the treadmill or outside. I had a Versa and it tracked fine. The Versa then started restarted on it's own so I got a Versa 2 and it's been off since then. I figured I just needed to walk outside to let my gps set my stride length. Still off. Almost an entire mile off. With the Versa I was out in all weather conditions and never had any issues. 

I ran yesterday a similar route I'm used to running and it felt like it took farther before I hit my first mile (I did a run walk combo). 

20200531_151316.jpg

My watch said I ran a total of 3 miles. When I mapped it out. It was 3.93 miles. 

This is really frustrating when doing virtual races. If this can't get fixed I may have to find a different fitness watch. That's the whole point to have a built in GPS to track your runs. If the app mapped the correct route why is it not an accurate distance and pace?

Fitbit needs this fixed soon!

Best Answer

I am having this very same issue.. I use my watch and phone to do virtual races.. today was a 6.2 I finished the course and it was off by a mile.. It is losing connection, I dont know what causes it.  I had a Charge HR that when paired to my phone never had an error.  FitBit did an update that stopped the HR information from syncing so I bought the Versa2 (also so I could swim).  Now its a miracle if I can log any run, walk, hike with any amount of accuracy.  If only the ChargeHR hadn't fallen apart.

Best Answer

I've tried this many times.. when i unlock the screen i see briefly.. no device found.. then it finds an syncs.. I have a Samsung Z-Flip and Versa 2

Best Answer

Hello everyone. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with the GPS feature on your Versa smartwatches and for posting all the steps and tricks you've done so far to get the distance more accurate. 

In regards to the previous thread where some of you were commenting on, for more information about the reason why it was closed, see here.

To further investigate on this, can you all please get back to me with the following information:

- Model/brand of the phone you're using 

- OS of the phone 

- When exporting the Fitbit GPS data (TCX file), is your distance accurate?

- When finishing your run/walk on your watch, do you see the same information (when checking the summary) on the watch than on the Fitbit app? 

- As you all are on Android devices, confirm you've done or checked the following requirements:

We'd appreciate it if you all could answer in the order in which the questions are listed so the information can be more organized and readable.

I'm looking forward to your response, keep me posted. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Oneplus 5T

- OS of the phone 

Android 9

- When exporting the Fitbit GPS data (TCX file), is your distance accurate?

Yes

- When finishing your run/walk on your watch, do you see the same information (when checking the summary) on the watch than on the Fitbit app? 

Yes

- As you all are on Android devices, confirm you've done or checked the following requirements:

Yes.  Additionally I've changed the power setting so that the Fitbit (and MapMyRide) do not use the "Battery Optimisation" feature.

Best Answer

@MarreFitbit 

Model/brand of the phone you're using 

Samsung s9+

- OS of the phone 

Android 10

Yes

Yes

I have all permissions set correctly and the battery set to high performance.

Best Answer

Model/brand of the phone you're using : Pixel 3

- OS of the phone : Android 10

- When exporting the Fitbit GPS data (TCX file), is your distance accurate? No, but it's inaccurate in the opposite direction. Based on past runs, I did about 5km. The Fitbit app shows 4.5km. When I export the file to Map my run, it shows 5.5km. The tracking was clearly off - it placed me in the river for some of the run....

Yes

- As you all are on Android devices, confirm you've done or checked the following requirements. 

Yes

Best Answer

Samsung S8

- OS of the phone

Android 9

Yes and no... No, distance saved on TCX file is inaccurate. Yes, the distance is accurate when distance recalculation is made (GPS track (re)measured). I am using Strava for that.

Yes for distance. Probably yes for the other information.

- As you all are on Android devices, confirm you've done or checked the following requirements....

Phone can and is identifying and tracking my location during exercise. GPS is running when exercising (GPS "logo" on top bar) and also track drawn on map is accurate. It can be both confirmed with Fitbit and Samsung Health apps.

I can confirm that the App can run in the background:
* Apps - Fitbit - Battery - "Allow background activity" is turned ON and I can not change that (grayed out)

* Apps - Fitbit - Battery - "Optimise battery usage" is set to "Not optimized"

Also I think that the app does not run on background. From Apps - Fitbit - Battery - "Since last fully charged" the "Background usage" is 0 min. App has every permission to do whatever it wants.

[EDIT - the app does run on background. It shows battery usage in "Active use". Went for 14 min walk, it showed "1h 9min" and now it shows "1h 24min"]

Fitbit app has every permission. Nothing has been blocked. No background / battery limitations are applied.

Best Answer

Galaxy A50

- OS of the phone 

A505USQS5BATE2

It wont let me download it or export it through app

On the website it downloaded but wouldn't let me open it. 

Yes

Phone gps is fine

• Confirm that the Fitbit app can run in the background on your phone and track your location.

Did this

Did this as well. 

Fitbit mapped it right but distance is off 

Best Answer

Samsung Galaxy A7

- OS of the phone 

Android 10

The distance is accurate in the TCX file, but not in the fitbit app.

Yes, they are the same.

Make sure that your phone can identify your location and can track your location. For more information, see  How do I allow the Fitbit app to use my phone's GPS sensors?

Done that

Confirm that the Fitbit app can run in the background on your phone and track your location.

It can

For Android (OS 7.0+), make sure you grant the Fitbit app access to the requested features of your phone. For more information, see What should I know about using the Fitbit app on my Android phone?

Granted permissions to the features I'm using (including location), but did not grant permissions to all features. (calls, contacts, sms for example).

Best Answer

@MarreFitbit

Had the same issue on Charge 3 (having it replaced under warranty which I am giving to my partner) and have an open ticket regarding this issue. I bought the Versa 2 and am still having the same issue. It HAS to be the app. I have used two different FitBit devices, Strava, Komoot and OnTheGoMaps. FitBit is always the one that is a mile out

Samsung Galaxy S10+

- OS of the phone

Android Version 10 (2.1 UI)

Yes. The map shows that the route is 6.6miles which is accurate. The Fitbit app shows that this route is 5.1miles.

Yes.

I have background settings all set as they should be. The app doesn't go to sleep and I have tried this in various battery modes.

I am tweeting the link to this thread to as many people as I can who have had the same issue. Maybe everyone could do the same to get a fix once and for all. 

Shambolic to see it's been a long standing issue. 

Best Answer

Since i started to use "connected GPS" with my Versa recently, and, of course ran into this problem, i gladly add my Report. 

Google Pixel 2

- OS of the phone
Android 10, latest build from May 5th.

Yes. I also converted the TCX File to GPX and checked the distance of two tracks in QGIS and the distance of the recorded track is pretty accurate (about 5.9 kilometers), while the watch and FitBit app values are off by 0.5-1km.EZfuyYHWoAIqkig.jpg

More or  less, yes. It seems that the value in the Fitbit app is "corrected" a bit, but nowhere near the correct distance.

The requirements are all okay, as i said, the recorded GPS track seems correct.

Best Answer

I am tweeting the link to this thread to as many people as I can who have had the same issue. Maybe everyone could do the same to get a fix once and for all. 

Shambolic to see it's been a long standing issue. 

Best Answer

Google Pixel 4XL

- OS of the phone 

Android 10

The distance shown in the TCX file is accurate (checked against Google Maps and my daughter's Garmin)

Yes, they are the same.

Make sure that your phone can identify your location and can track your location. For more information, see  How do I allow the Fitbit app to use my phone's GPS sensors?

All settings and permissions ok for this

Confirm that the Fitbit app can run in the background on your phone and track your location.

Yes, it can

For Android (OS 7.0+), make sure you grant the Fitbit app access to the requested features of your phone. For more information, see What should I know about using the Fitbit app on my Android phone?

All relevant permissions granted.

I also want to show the difference here between the tcx data exported from Fitbit and the data that the Fitbit app shows.

How can this be allowed to happen? Have I just bought myself a tracker that can't even track the correct distance?!?! I'd laugh if I hadn't spent so much on it! 😞

tcx data file.jpg

Screenshot 2020-06-02 at 13.49.00.png

Best Answer