Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 screen issues

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Versa 2 watch has been having intermittent problems that got worse over time, and as of right now it's unusable.

The issues started out with a lot of crashes and restarts, failed updates, and intermittent syncing errors. They've never been constant, but it does seem to crash a few times a day at the most. Sometimes when it would come back up, the home screen would say something along the lines of "clock error, go to the app to pick another clock face."

The more noticeable issue is that starting a few days ago, the screen would sometimes not respond to touch inputs, and restarting the watch would fix it. It's been getting worse, and today, the touch screen does not respond at all, even after restarting the watch. The screen does turn on and off using the side button, but I can't interact with the screen. The watch also syncs normally.

I successfully updated the firmware yesterday, but it has no noticeable effect.

Is there anything else I can try?

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello everyone, thanks for your participation in the Community. 

Thanks to all for the efforts to resolve the issue, sharing your experiences and steps you've tried. I understand that this can be very frustrating, your feedback and comments are greatly appreciated. For the ones that keep having problems, please try the following:

1. Restart the device: How do I restart my Fitbit device?
  2. Switch to a Fitbit clock face: How do I change the clock face on my Fitbit device? 

If the issue persists, the best way to get help for this problem is to chat with our Support team online or give them a call. Click here to get connected. 

As of now, this thread will be closed, bear in mind that you can always create a new thread.

See you around. 

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
108 REPLIES 108

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @TheAero.

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and sharing the details of the issue you've experienced with your Fitbit Versa 2 screen. Thank you for your troubleshooting efforts. I recommend switching to a Fitbit clock face if you're using a third party clock face: How do I change the clock face on my Fitbit device? 

If the issue still persists, I recommend doing a factory reset. Please note that you'll need to reinstall any apps on your device after the reset, and if you couldn’t sync your device, then any data on the Fitbit device will be lost. In order to do the factory reset, please do the following:

1. Hold the back button for about 8 seconds. 
  2. When the Fitbit logo disappears:
    1. Release the button briefly (for less than 2 seconds). 
    2. Hold the button again until they feel a second, longer vibration, which indicates you initiated the factory reset. 

Open the Bluetooth settings on your phone and unpair the watch from the list. Then, please set up the watch back to your account with the instructions on this link: How do I set up my Fitbit device? 

Let me know how it goes. 

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Thank you for the quick response and help!

I'm using the default analog watch face that comes on the watch, so I didn't change anything with that.

I followed your instructions to perform a factory reset. After the long vibration, the watch went black for a minute, then displayed a red X with the message: "Data not cleared. Sync & try again." I tried a few times to sync in the app (it was still connected to bluetooth), and nothing happened. When I press and hold the button to restart it, it just goes back to the red X with the "data not cleared" message. Same thing if I try the factory reset instructions. I seem to be stuck on the "data not cleared" message.

I was able to reconnect to the watch by removing it from the app and bluetooth, restarting the phone, and reconnecting it like a new watch. The watch turned on, gave me a different "data not cleared" error, but then proceeded through the setup process.

Once setup, I tried your procedure to reset the watch again. It has once again gone back to the red X with a "Data not cleared. Sync & try again" message.

Just to update, the behavior is still persisting. The screen frequently doesn't respond to touches (it only wakes up when tilting the watch towards me, or using the button). Sometimes when it doesn't respond to touch, pushing the button to turn it off crashes the watch and it restarts.

Multiple attempts to reset to factory defaults have resulted in the red X error.

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer

Hi @TheAero, thank you for your reply. I am sorry for the delayed response. 

I appreciate your efforts and the additional details. Since the steps you tried didn't work, I've gone ahead and escalated your case to our Support team, for them to take a deeper look at this. Please keep an eye on your inbox. 

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Best Answer

Good morning @LiliyaFitbit! No worries. I appreciate your help and will watch out for an email from the support team. Thanks for doing everything you can.

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply, @TheAero

I appreciate your time and feedback. I am sure our Support team will do their best to help you, please keep working with them. 

If you have the time, be sure to post in our Discussion boards. Lots of different topics to talk about with other Forum members.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Best Answer
  • You are not alone. My new Versa 2 has the exact problems you describe. I was chatting with online support today and have a case number. After unsuccessfully resetting with "data not cleared..." message, I will need to go back. Good luck to you!
Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @PacificaMom.

Thank you for joining the thread and sharing that you experienced the same issue. I appreciate your efforts to resolve this and taking the time to contact our Support team. I recommend to keep communication open with our team since they have already all the details of the case and special tools to continue assisting you. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Answer

Hi

sadly I am having the same issue and have followed all the same steps to no avail.  I had similar issues with my original Versa and had hoped the versa 2 would be better but I am finding this very frustrating

Alan

Best Answer

Hi @AlanMKendall, it's nice to see you again in our Community Forums. 

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and sharing that you are having the same issue with your watch. Thank you for your troubleshooting efforts. I totally understand how you are feeling as you had similar issues with your original Versa. Since the steps you tried didn't work, I've gone ahead and escalated your case to our Support team, for them to take a deeper look at this. Please keep an eye on your inbox. 

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! I have the same issue with my versa 2. I followed the steps to do a factory reset, but I have the same problem. The support team have a fix for this issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, there was no fix. I'm waiting for my replacement. Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, I have a very similar issue (my versa 2 started to not respond quickly to touch, then started to require many taps to make one selection, and now it has no touch response at all.) I tried the factory reset two days ago before the issue of no response began and for a day it was good and worked like it did when I first got it and then it went full no touch response. Not only is touch response not working but the on and off button works only 1/4th of the time and the auto rotate wake up does not work all. 

silver lining is atleast it is still tracking my steps and syncing to my phone 

EDIT: I worked with support and got a replacement and it is working wonderfully so far. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly the same problem. Stuck in a never ending loop of Reset Failed your data was not cleared. Watch is almost unusable. Help required please. 

Best Answer
  • So frustrating! I contacted Fitbit support online and eventually got a new replacement.  I think it's the only solution at this point. Goos luck!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Exact same issue and also waiting for my replacement in the mail. Hopefully the new one will not have same issue but I am not hopeful.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem with my screen and I tried factory reset as you advices but was met with data not cleared too. Now I can’t use the watch at all. Can only see the red warning “reset failed” 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue on a Versa 2 out of the box. Paired to phone just fine, will sync, but screen not responsive. Can reset (long press home button), and it'll wake from motion, but will go into a boot loop every once in awhile. 

I've found if I let the battery go completely dead (which happens in about a day due to boot loop), then put it on the charger and hard reset, it'll wake up and I'll have a minute or so of screen functionality. Just enough time to get in and do a factory reset. 

Did that, removed from account, re-synced to account and downloaded the update.

Whomp whomp, same issue. No touch response, and will go into a boot loop after a little bit. 

Thought these pebble-based watches were supposed to be more reliable? Maybe Google can solve it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here - my new Versa 2 is not responding to touches. I've reset/restarted it numerous times over the last couple days and the touchscreen responds for a few seconds before going unresponsive. Also, sometimes the screen does not even turn on (from either wrist-up action or pressing the button). Please help!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Request a new one... I just received my replacement last week.  Hoping that this one will be fine... fingers crossed!
Best Answer