Allow multiple devices on the same account (Sense/Versa series, Inspire, Charge & Luxe)

Be allowed to have both a Fitbit Versa and a Fitbit Ionic on the same account so you can easily switch between them.

Moderator edit: Title & Labels

2,034 Comments
Triletics
Distance Runner

@jwms There was a theory in the past that devices with app galleries can't be used together on the same account. There may be some truth to this theory and that indicates bad software coding practices. In software development, there is such a thing as "a singleton" which is considered an "anti-design pattern" nowadays because it severely limits the ability to extend functionality. It's a bad coding practice. It means that when you add a new tracker to the Fitbit app it creates a single static object(s) that represent certain functionalities. That object isn't bound to the device but it's the other way around - the device is bound to that object. So there may be a singleton that represents a model of Fitbit currently using the App Gallery (following the theory I mentioned). You can't assign two values to a single variable so it's either this device or another one, can't be both. So why is it so hard to remove a singleton and make it properly? Removing singletons is usually quite a challenging task. After introducing one singleton, in the lazy development, the chain reaction of bad practices starts and then another one is added and then another one. Then, the whole functionality is built around that pattern. Removing it usually means rewriting a very big chunk of code and dealing with lots of bugs. This is why I don't think we will see it soon. Fitbit started rewriting some code (new UI), there may be plans to rewrite some core functionality but this will be a tough process. Unlikely, we will see it in the near future. This is one of those things developers have to think about before they start coding (what if we need to add another device?). Once jumped into this hole it's hard to get out 😉 It's not impossible but hard. I tried to explain that without getting too deep into coding technical stuff.

jwms
Jogger

In theory I don't have a clue what you talking about I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks. i believe you really do have a good product but it seem like you have poor product service. If coding seems to be the issue of all this You could always hire AI chat GPT 4.0 now what can I do to help

Triletics
Distance Runner

@jwmsI'm not working for Fitbit. I'm just explaining based on my 20+ years of experience as a software developer why this is such a big problem for Fitbit. Simply, it's not going to happen in my opinion. At least not immediately. If it was easy it would already happen.

jwms
Jogger

As a software developer what would you recommend

Triletics
Distance Runner

@jwms my advice as a software developer wouldn't be particularily useful. But I can give you advice as a competitive athlete. I need to be able to use multiple devices (bike computer, two watches and chest strap that serves also as a running pod so I can run just with strap and my run will still get detected and synced) and they need to work together on a single account and that is done easy on Garmin platform. From two watches, I have to pick "primary" watch and when I use bike computer it synchronizes to the account. Platform recognizes which data comes from which device and glues it together. The process is totally seamless and doesn't need user's involvement. Oh, and guess what. There is also an app store and all three devices I use, they support apps and there is no issue with using that feature with all devices paired at once. My advice is to find something that meets your requirements rather than wait for something that may or may not happen. This is what I normally do 🤷 I don't believe in "brand loyalty". If something stops benefit me I ditch it.

jwms
Jogger

And there you have it buy more😞 What bummer 

Triletics
Distance Runner

@jwms you may also vote for the feature suggestion:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Product-Feedback/Allow-multiple-devices-on-the-same-account-Sense-Ve...

There are lots of votes and comments and status is "Under consideration". However, it's been "under consideration" since 2014 so that doesn't give much hope for any development. Sorry, I don't have better news.

LiamLTS
First Steps
I have more than 1 Fitbit (because i don't want to get rid of them) and i thought it would be good to have more than one Fitbit on the same google account.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @LiamLTS, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about being able to have multiple Fitbit devices connected in a single account with us. This product feedback was already requested on this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.