Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit sense recording high heart rate as exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I not so recently got my 1st smartwatch --a fitbit sense As another way to help monitor my high heart rate and I've found that instead of giving me any alerts or notifications when my heart rate is high that it will record it as exercise such as outdoor bike ride. When I'm in the shower it thinks that I am swimming and I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if there's a way to correct it?

I've also made sure that I have the notifications for high and low heart rate set to on but I have not gotten any notifications and I know for a fact that my heart has made it up to 160BPM since purchasing and wearing this watch.

(I'm completely aware it's not  A replacement to a heart monitor--which I do have. I wear it as an added precaution and a way to better monitor my health)

Best Answer
0 Votes
23 REPLIES 23

High and low heart rate notifications are only for when not exercising.

Quoting from phone app where you set set high and low limits and turn these notification on:

"Get notifications if we detect that your heart rate is outside of you high or low heart rate threshold while you appear to be  inactive for at least 10 minutes."

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're triggering swim mode because it got wet. Even the Apple Watch does this. Personally, I use showering and getting ready as a time to top off with a charger. 

Best Answer

Hi @Lindseylove  -  Fitbit advise to not wear your watch in the shower, the seals don't like hot water or detergents.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do not always wear it in the shower--which was not the focus of this question which is why my watch is constantly recording my high heart rate as exercise when I am very clearly not exercising. 

I am aware the notifications are for when I'm not exercising. 

The issue Is that precisely--I'm not exercising. 

I could be sitting on the couch with my heart going 140 and my watch records it as bike ride or run...which I'm not doing. 

Best Answer

@Lindseylove  - did you do a Shutdown from the watch menu, wait 10 seconds before placing on the charger to restart it.

If the problem persists contact Fitbit support to see what they have to say.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just as am example I was on the e.r with breathing issues and my heart was easily 160 for a very prolonged period of time and I didn't get a single notification when I DEFINITELY was not exercising.

I'm just wondering if this is an issue anyone else has been having?

Best Answer

I've actually never shut my watch off😅🤣 I've always just placed it on the charger when it's low or dead.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lindseylove  - please try the Shutdown process.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I have a bit of a different issue. Generally my Sense is giving accurate heart rate data... but if I get on stationary bike and am just peddling it rises quickly to 160+. I have tested with pulse oximeter at the same time and my actual HR is like 90... while my sense is reading 160+ and rising...I stop peddling and it eventually shows back to same as pulse oximeter.

Ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@eezeepee this is interesting. Can you please point me where Fitbit mentions this feature and what is the sensor that is interested in detecting wet status? Thanks

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner I could be mistaken but I believe it does since "Swimming" is listed in the activities it can track automatically. I would think it's the combination of swimming strokes and getting submerged in water that triggers it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok so it is just your hypothesis that you presented as a fact.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Just an assumption on my part. If I'm wrong, my bad.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner there is no such feature. When water comes into contact with the screen crazy things start happening which may include starting an exercise by random-navigating through the menu. If Swimming was somewhere at the top of the list of recent activities it is quite probable to start it with random touches caused by water. It happened to me several times that shower or rain (or even sweaty long-sleeve shirt) activated random functions of the watch including starting exercises. Water and touch screens are not compatible.

Best Answer

@Lindseylove  This has also happened to me several times when not exercising and my heart rate would elevate it would count it as heart zone minutes. But I don't actually know if it counted it as exercise also. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Even I have an issue with HR monitor on my new Sense. The variation is quite a lot and at times, even though I am sitting, the HR shows around 137 and in 10 seconds or so it starts coming down to normal at rest. 

Can this problem be solved or do I have to get the watch replaced. 

Best Answer

Hi @Dev1979  - it is not a watch problem and can't be solved.

If you look in the forums many people report errant HR whilst exercising or moving but generally, as you have found, the at rest reading is pretty reliable.

Some people experience over reading, others under reading, and some see spikes in the night.

If you try and replace your new good watch you will most likely only get a refurbished one.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes. When I have episodes of high heart rates it shows that I am in "fat burn" or "peak zone" and I am actually at rest.

Best Answer

The problem is that the HR sensor of Sense is essentially a random number generator 

Best Answer