Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense - Transcript error when using voice replies

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This morning my note 20 ultra updated to Android 12 and one ui 4.0. Ever since voice replies to text messages have stopped working.  When I attempt to use a voice reply my Sense either gives a transcription error, or says unavailable.  Strangely, google assistant is working so I know that it is not the microphone.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited to add troubleshooting steps:

I have:  forced stop, cleared cache, logged out and back into the fitbit app, restarted sense, restarted phone, checked that ALL permissions are allowed, removed Sense from the app and then set it up again, factory reset Sense and set it up again, uninstalled and reinstalled the fitbit app, checked the settings app in Sense to make sure microphone is on, checked to make sure all of the correct apps are set to "default", tested using both the stock Samsung messaging app and Google Messages app same results with both, checked battery settings to make sure the app is allowed to run unrestricted in the background, checked settings to make sure app is "kept open" and allowed to run in the background "at all times" .   Both the Fitbit app and Sense firmware are the latest version.

Nothing has worked. When I attempt to respond to a text message with a voice reply I immediately get either a "transcription error" or "unavailable" both of these errors occur before I can even begin speaking.  Interestingly, if I try to send a "quick reply" either an emoji or a text those work flawlessly. 

This problem has only started after my phone updated to Android 12 and Samsung One UI 4.0.  Seeing as how others are having the same issue on non-Samsung phones I'm guessing this is an issue with Android 12.

This needs to be elevated to support.  I can only imagine that this issue will become far more wide spread as more phones are upgraded to Android 12.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm glad to announce that this issue has been resolved! Please try using the voice replies on your Sense and let us know how it goes. You can always check this help article for instructions on how to use this feature.

Your feedback and patience are truly appreciated, and we'll keep working to make Fitbit more useful for you.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

Hello

I Havel Fitbit sense watch with Xiamo Redmi Note 8 Pro Android 11 and I can't use reply by voice. I tried restart phone, watch, reconnect device, can you try help me please? Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @hankaff.

Have you confirmed that your Sense's microphone is enabled in the device settings? Open the settings app on the watch - Vibration & Audio - Microphone (make sure the toggle is set to "on"). 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

I'm using the Sense and Android Motorola G Stylus and my notification voice reply stopped working as well. Google assistant is still working. When I'm trying to reply to a message it tells me it's unavailable to try again later. I've only had it for a couple of days now and it was working just fine till this afternoon. It's a lot of money for it not to work correctly!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also having the same problem; I have the Samsung S 20 5G. I have uninstalled the Fitbit app, did a factory reset on the watch, reinstalled had the same results. I delete the app again did a factory reset on the watch, installed the App, did the complete setup again, and it does the same thing, Google assistance works well, but when I try to reply to a text it says Transcription Error Opps something happened, please tap to retry. Or it will just say unavailable There is something wrong, please try again later.  

Sometimes like now, it is when I would like to switch to an apple phone and an apple watch, I am at least happy it does seem like others are having the same problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, sure my microphone is enable.

Odesláno z iPhonu
Best Answer
0 Votes

I reached out to customer care and they are aware of this issue and don't see it being resolved anytime soon. This was the only reason I switched back to Fitbit. I didn't have to spend all that money for something that isn't even going to work...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just tried this myself and I'm seeing the same thing on my Pixel 5 with Android 12. To me it seems to be a server issue, possibly an issue with the server that processes the transcript. This would also explain why Google assistant isn't affected as it would use a different server. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

Hi @hankaff.

I've merged your thread with another thread (here) where users are experiencing a similar issue. Are you seeing the message "Transcript error" when you try to reply? I've just tried it myself and am also experiencing the same error. It seems to be a server issue, so there isn't much we can do on our end. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

Hmm. I will try a voice reply today on my next message. I have a Pixel 6 Pro with Android 12 and haven't had any issues in the past.

Best Answer

I'm seeing two errors, one is the transcript error and the other is saying unavailable please try again later. Support wasn't any help at all. They emailed me back confirming they're aware of the situation. However they do not see it being resolved anytime soon. They don't seem to care in my opinion. 

Best Answer

Hi,

yes, I get transcript error. Server issue? What do you mean please? This problem takes one month approximately for me, already

Best Answer

I received my Sense from the Ionic recall. In a previous topic I wrote that I had problems with syncing where the general data such as steps sync fine but other features like logging water always "can't find phone".

Now I have a new problem - the microphone has stopped working. Cannot use Google Assistant or Alexa and cannot speak over call (but I can hear when the other side talks.)

Troubleshooting: Remove and readd device in Fitbit; unpair and re-pair in BlueTooth; restart Sense; reset Sense. No squiggly line appears when speaking to Assistant. Note that this functionality was working when I first got it a few weeks ago.

This Sense is only a few weeks old! I have seen that this has been a problem since 2020.

Any resolution to this problem or do I have to start a return ticket now?

Thanks.

Zip, Sense and Ionic
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Samsung galaxy 9plus

And as of yesterday my voice replies to respond to messages is not working.

I've tried everything even contacting support. Don't know what else to do

Best Answer
0 Votes

...or do I have to start a return ticket now?

If you've factory reset it, then its faulty. contact support to get a replacement.

Best Answer

Is the device hooked up to Google Assistant?  That's the service I use and have never had issues sending voice texts. I have a Samsung Galaxy as well.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

Yes its connected to my Google assistant and still doesn't work 😔

Best Answer
0 Votes

This appears to be a common issue among the various Fitbit devices when you look through the message boards.  It also looks like there is no known consistent fix and just a bunch of hand waiving offered by Fitbit... as usual. I bought my wife a new sense yesterday and set it up to find that it is doing exactly what you described. I then checked mine (a couple of months old) and found it is doing the exact same thing. This is just typical Fitbit bugginess with no meaningful technical support. I will try to contact them if I have a few hours to burn today, but I don't expect any help.  As someone that has had Fitbit devices for multiple years now, I think I am just at the end of my rope.  With this type of device, you need a product that either works perfectly across all its functionalities or you have to offer actual knowledgeable and efficient support to fix it. Fitbit does neither of those things. Unfortunately, for me and my family I think it is just time to move on and give competitors a try.  That said, the best work around I can come up with so far is to activate google assistant and then use the assistant function to respond to the text messages rather than trying to use the irretrievably broken Fitbit text response functionality that is supposed to do the same thing. It isn't an acceptable solution, but it should get you through until you can pick out a different smart watch that actually operates across all its advertised functionalities and/or provides helpful customer support when something goes wrong. 😠

Best Answer

@bumbleklutz I am experiencing this problem too. Like you, it only started after my phone updated to Android 12 and Samsung One UI 4.0.

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA
Pixel Watch 2, Inspire 3, Sense | Android

Best Answer

Same issue here got a new watch after the recall on the Ionic, worked for a couple of days now speech to text no longer works as others have described. It worked well for a couple of days. Please Fitbit get this fixed. 

Ok just went through a complete reset. Factory reset of watch, removed Fitbit app from the phone. Reloaded app from play store and went through the factory startup of the watch. Still doesn't work so save your time seems nothing we can do to fix this. Same dealSame deal

Best Answer