Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food log not working

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When adding a new food from the food database I just keep getting the spinning icon. This is happening more and more so frustrating when you are trying to log your food. Have tried logging out of the Fitbit app. Shutting the phone down then logging in again no success 

Moderator edit: subject for clarity 

Best Answer
181 REPLIES 181

This is still an ongoing problem for me too!  For the last month I often get a spinning wheel when trying to log foods.  Some will go in quickly, others just refuse too.  Very frustrating!!!!  I have tried the reinstall app.  No use.  I have a Versa 2 on an iPhone 6.

Best Answer

I'm still have sporadic problems with this. I have an iPhone 6s iOS 14.6, Fitbit Charge 4 version 48.20001.100.43, and Fitbit version 3.42 (1052). Sometimes when logging food the app just spins for several minutes and may or may not eventually populate with data. And sometimes when I log previously selected food it will list as having 0 calories until I modify the quantity.

Best Answer
Having the same exact problems. Also double counting entries which doubles “calories in” is also extremely annoying! Happens all the time!
Best Answer
I too am still getting the spinning wheel when I try to enter something that I have not entered either frequently or recently.  Others are even getting chastised by Fitbit's IT when they call in.  Is anybody at Fitbit reading any of this? Today I got an email from Fitbit saying I should be using the food log to enter my calories!!! I would like to but their database is too frigging slow and likely dates back to shortly after Google bought them.  Hey Fitbit, fix this!!
Best Answer

LiliyaFitbit is a Fitbit Moderator and earlier in this group of messages you can see a few responses from her saying that the concerns have been passed on and thanked us for our continued patience 😁.  She is the one that linked several different discussion groups as she said that we all are reporting similar issues.  I think this is good but it also is even more concerning that this group continuous to grow but Fitbit still has not fixed the issue.  I posted a summary of the issue on the Fitbit Facebook page and they simply removed my post.  In one of LiliyaFitbit’s replies she included the link to the warranty/ return policy as I asked for it but of course the 45 day timeframe has passed so no apparent remedy.  

Best Answer

I’m going to add my 2¢ worth here, too. The food log function of the app just in NOT working. I get the same spinning icon when I try to use it and neither the log nor the food list opens. I use an iPhone X, with the latest IOS version as well as the updated app version. The only way that I can log food or edit the log is by going to the website. Otherwise, the food logging ability of Fitbit is horribly screwed up. 

Best Answer

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your continued feedback and for the details shared. I understand how you are feeling and appreciate your efforts to resolve this and sharing workarounds. Our team is working on this situation to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. I am sorry for this inconvenience and I'll update this thread once I have more details.

See you around.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

iPhone 6s Plus

iOS 14.6

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the exact same problem, and this has been ongoing for over a month.  When I try to scan a bar code...spin spin spin spin spin..and it stays that way until I straight up cancel.  Exact same thing when I search for an item.  When it comes up in the list, I select it, and then again...spin spin spin spin spin spin.

Not only that but calorie counts are coming up as zero, even if I choose an item from my Recent foods list.  Apparently most foods don't have calories anymore??  I have to manually change the amount (e.g. from cups to kg or lbs) and then back again for any sort of calorie amount to show up.  I should not have to do this for item after item after item, every single time I want to update my food log.

Even then, the total amount of calories for the day so far doesn't even add up until after REPEATED syncs.

And before anyone asks, I have logged out of the app, shut down (and reset) my iPod, logged back in, synced, so many times and it doesn't help.  Plus, the app is completely up to date, my iOS is completely up to date, my device is fully charged, and yes--I AM connected to the internet.  I can pull up any website in mere seconds, yet the Fitbit app still isn't working correctly. 

This is becoming a horrendous chore to try to enter foods to keep my daily log and keep track of my calories.  Seriously Fitbit...don't we have enough crap going on in the world right now without getting stressed out and frustrated like this?  This needs to be fixed, and fixed immediately.  Enough of this already.

Best Answer
This post explains exactly what I am also going through!!
Best Answer

This issue is going on since several months now, today I installed myfitnesspal and sync with Fitbit: calories and all data are perfectly synced.

On Fitbit it just show "breakfast summary" or "lunch summary" without the details (that are saved on myfitnesspal).

Advantage is that I won't lose my cal tracking when changing device.

Best Answer

This is really frustrating. I wouldn't pay for the annual fee without a fix. Thanks all for voicing your issues so I know it isn't me!! 

-- waiting for the spinning to stop ... 

---------------

Thanks, Stefan ... I am going to try your suggestion as a temporary fix ... this really sucks but I'm really focused on losing weight and food tracking si so important. I get that back-end engineering can be tough but if anything there should be more upfront info from Fitbit about progress even if it is a note at the top of this forum. 

Update:

LillyaFitbit: could we have an updated note here at the top of this discussion maybe 1x a week for those of us - and there are a lot - waiting patiently for any updates? Thanks! 

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer

I recommend everyone watch their food log entries closely. I now have foods that are duplicating days later, randomly showing up out of nowhere, OR they are disappearing and my calorie counts go bonkers. I cannot spend all my time keeping track of this so now I am unsure where my calorie counts actually are and having to track in a spreadsheet. Whatever APIs are syncing between the phone app and the website - something is failing. I just noticed one day where my calorie count kept going down that an item was not synced to the web version of the food log. I added it on the web version and now my app is showing the correct calorie count for that day. 

This seems like a simple syncing issue - can we not get a hotfix for this?

Best Answer

I have the same problem with duplicates appearing days later.

Best Answer

What is with the long delays in logging food?  Sometimes it works fine. Other times I get that little spinning icon in the middle of the screen which goes on and on and on. Doesn’t matter whether I select from list or scan the code. Haven’t been able to log much of anything all day

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK. I've had my Versa 2 now for over 6 months. I've had continuing problems entering food. (spinning hour glass) Basically, the app on my 3 year old iPad (lots of memory, latest software) freezes when searching for a food. (ex. bread or applesauce) I've tried waiting a half hour! I've discussed this with tech support. I've searched and asked on user groups. I've written back and forth with tech support and tried all suggestions. NO SOLUTION. I'm close to giving up on Fitbit.

This week I tried something that seems to solve the problem: The food entry seems to be incompatible with Bluetooth. The Fitbit app wants Bluetooth to be on all of the time! If I turn Bluetooth off, I can then enter my food. Once I am finished, I can turn Bluetooth back on. Let's see if this solutions continues to work. If not, I'm close to giving up completely on Fitbit.

PS: I don't have a problem with my Windows10 computer but it's not near my dining room. I tried a Kindle Fire, but the software is missing a nutrition count.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This week I tried something that seems to solve the spinning click problem: The food entry seems to be incompatible with Bluetooth. The Fitbit app wants Bluetooth to be on all of the time! If I turn Bluetooth off, I can then enter my food. Once I am finished, I can turn Bluetooth back on. Let's see if this solutions continues to work. If not, I'm close to giving up completely on Fitbit.

PS: I don't have a problem with my Windows10 computer but it's not near my dining room. I tried a Kindle Fire, but the software is missing a nutrition count.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had continuing problems entering food. (spinning hour glass) Basically, the app on my 3 year old iPad (lots of memory, latest software) freezes when searching for a food. (ex. bread or applesauce) I've tried waiting a half hour!

This week I tried something that seems to solve the problem: The food entry seems to be incompatible with Bluetooth. The Fitbit app wants Bluetooth to be on all of the time! If I turn Bluetooth off, I can then enter my food. Once I am finished, I can turn Bluetooth back on. Let's see if this solutions continues to work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been using the food logging toll since getting my first Fitbit Charge six years ago. Logging my food intake has been instrumental in managing my continuing weight loss.

However, it appears this program has NOT been improved in a very long time, if at all. The menu is slow and poorly structured. It defaults to RECENT, which I rarely use. My first preference is CUSTOM MEALS. Ideally, I want the option to rearrange and categorize the food choice tabs to my personal priorities.

Also, the screen shows a seemingly endless search for foods in my database, or accessing a new food item via a barcode takes an absurdly long time. Connectivity at my home is blisteringly fast fiber, yet waiting for my iPhone to gather my data is excruciating.

Finally, the RECENT and FREQUENT lists should be under 1 Tab and alphabetically listed. Currently, it takes too long to find anything. Then, more logically, the CUSTOM FOODS and CUSTOM MEALS can each have a tab of their own.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Charge 4 taking a LONG time to log “new” food items. I gave up after 30 minutes of spinning disk.

Best Answer