Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food log not working

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When adding a new food from the food database I just keep getting the spinning icon. This is happening more and more so frustrating when you are trying to log your food. Have tried logging out of the Fitbit app. Shutting the phone down then logging in again no success 

Moderator edit: subject for clarity 

Best Answer
181 REPLIES 181
I'll give it a try but removing one functionality to allow another to work is not a good solution much less a good business plan.
Best Answer

Food log, spinning hour glass, terribly frustrating. 3 year old iPad, lots of memory, latest software, fast Internet. This procedure so far has solved the problem: Turn off Bluetooth whenever you are adding food.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, turning off Bluetooth did not work for me on my iPhone. I’m still experiencing the spinning icon, even though I have the latest IOS version and Fitbit version on my device. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really do not understand why this is STILL an issue. I've had a very frustrating week with it because I've been trying to log a lot of new foods. It's so slow sometimes I just give up and try again later. It does seem better at different times, for no apparent reason. Fitbit, get it sorted, PLEASE.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This does not, and never has worked for this issue (not for me or many others anyway). What is the latest update on this? Is it being addressed, or ignored? It's been a issue for so long now. There seems to be a basic flaw in something that should be very simple, after all the food log is just a database. Constantly being told to update the app force quit the app, restart your phone, reinstall the app etc etc is getting quite boring. 

Edit : Had to add to this post as it hasn't shown as replying to Lilyafitbit, I was trying to get the attention of the moderators....this really needs a solution!!

Best Answer

GuyFit,
Sorry that my idea didn't help you. (kill BT) After 4 months of struggle, my Fitbit2 has been working for the last week.
Some general thoughts: I think that Fitbit and their 28,000,000 users (per Google) are simply OVERWHELMED. Have you noticed that there are actually different apps or programs, and that they are all slightly different. They have each probably been written by different software houses or consultants. There is Windows10, iPad, iPhone, Mac, Android, Fire, etc. There's also Fitbit, Fitbit2, etc. I was hoping that my idea would help everyone and that some software designer could simply turn off BT whenever you went into your FoodLog. (Pretty minor software change.) Of course, they have designed it with an opposite goal: a nasty message reminding you to turn BT back on whenever you disable it. If Lilyafitbit can help, please do it.

Best Answer

I had the same problem with the food data base taking FOREVER to display the results but the last update (prior to 6/11/2021 must have fixed the issue but now the FITBIT App jams up from time to time forcing a complete Iphone IOS power off/on.   

Best Answer
0 Votes
Great advice! I will give it a try although we all should not have to be doing that just to enter food!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Crash info: IPAD IOS 14.4 and iPhone 7 14.5.1 on the same WiFi channel , FITBIT app is the very latest June 2021.  

Periodically NON of the FITBIT icons will function but heart rate icon is active/OK.  A power off/on must be executed to clear the problem.  This can happen in the house or walking around the city park.    

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all, 

Your feedback and comments are greatly appreciated, I understand that this can be very frustrating and appreciate your efforts to resolve this. I would like to advise that our team has started releasing a new version of the Fitbit app (3.43) and I recommend updating the app once you see it available as updates come with new features and bug fixes. You can confirm the steps to update the app in How do I update the Fitbit app?

Hope this helps.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Does this update have a specific fix for this database issue or is it just the usual periodic update. There has been one update that I know of since this conversation started but it did not address this issue.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer

LiliyaFitbit,

Thanks for the specifics.  I'm at 3.42 and anxiously waiting for 3.43.  My symptoms are quite consistent.  As long as I log out of Fitbit and turn off my iPad Bluetooth, I can immediately log back in and enter my food data.  Then I can log turn on my Bluetooth and sync if I wish.  I can also peruse the food log if I wish.  I can do anything as long as I don't try to enter food.  I hope the coming update helps me.

Best Answer
Yay!! Thanks 🙂

Janelle

@MrSpock314  I don't want to turn off Bluetooth just to log food. The 3.43 update *may* have speeded things up a little, it's too early to tell as it may well slow down again or be just as slow at different times, we will see. 

Regarding Fitbit having 28 million users... that equals many many more millions of USD/GBP/Euro whatever currency you use given the price tag on the devices and many people have more than one (watch, scales etc...). Fitbit's financial worth was in the billions of dollars and now, having been acquired by Google, is part of an even bigger operation. I feel Fitbit/Google have the cash to be able to provide appropriate resources to support their users adequately. The food log is by far not the only issue with the app, it really seems that Fitbit doesn't test the releases properly in real life situations. Of course there are many combinations of device, OS, phone model etc but again, they sold to us on the basis that if we had certain hardware we are good to go, we deserve better service. 

Best Answer

I installed the update. The food log still does not work. 

Best Answer

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for the details mentioned. I understand how you are feeling and would like to mention that our team is releasing now the app version (3.43.1) so you can keep an eye on that. 

I'll be around. 

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey all, I’ve found a work around that is working for me to allow the app to log new foods. If I turn off Bluetooth before searching for the food/scanning the barcode it’ll actually work and populate the food instead of just giving me the spinning wheel of annoyance. I’m not sure if this will work for anyone else, but it’s working for me when I do that!

I think the issue may stem from something having to do with the Bluetooth connection for a Fitbit device. The past 3 weeks I have not had my Fitbit as i was waiting for it to be replaced by the manufacturer after some hardware issues. Since I didn’t have a Fitbit, I wasn’t ever syncing the Fitbit to the app via Bluetooth, and the entire time I was able to log food with absolutely no problem whatsoever. Today, my new Fitbit came in and I set it up, and right away when I tried to log food I was back to getting the spinny searching wheel. I tried turning Bluetooth off just troubleshooting and I’ve been able to log food multiple times without issue with Bluetooth off, but then again can’t log it when I turn it back on.

Hope this works for others too!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Jrasmussen,

I've had "spinning wheel, food log" problems for many months.  The 3.43.1 update on my iPad has solved all of them.  Be sure you get it.  I can now log my food without any delay during searching or logging.  Sometimes when I pop back to the main food screen, there are some entries that are populated after a few minutes but that's not a problem because I know the new food has been logged correctly into the database.  One other feature:  I had been turning my Bluetooth off just to log food.  Then, I would turn it back on.  Now, I can leave the Bluetooth turned on all of the time.  I have no complaints any more !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Answer

Dscrssft,

Be sure that you have installed version 3.43.1 (iPad).  It solved my problems.

LiliyaFitbit,

Thanks for helping to solve the problems.  3.43.1 fixed it.   It's working great now. !

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrSpock314 do you ever select food items from search? I'm still getting the spinning nothingness when I search for food and try to add it. Only some appear to work. The duplication and disappearing food items/wacky calorie count seems to be resolved though.

Best Answer