Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS not working correctly since updating to iOS 11

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi Everyone, our team has reported this issue is resolved. If you haven't already, please update your app to version 2.45. I'll be closing this thread for new comments. If you are experiencing GPS issues with your tracker and iOS device, please see the help pages below. If that doesn't resolve the issue please post a new comment.  

I've merged a few threads together. Our team is aware of some users having issues with GPS intermittently disconnecting during exercise after updating to iOS 11. Users see incorrect distance or see "Check Fitbit App" message. I do hope to have a fix soon and will update this thread when I learn more. 

If you haven't already, check out this article on why GPS isn't working for potential fixes. If you are still experiencing this issue you may also want to try tracking your run with MobileRun and GPS as a workaround. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
182 REPLIES 182

@mbhfromnh you've verified in the app store that you're on 2.41 or greater for the fitbit app?  If yes, maybe harsher measures (delete and reinstall?) are needed, but support should be able to get you past this 😛

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes Fitbit do not seem to acknowledge the problem they suggested various faults with my phone. I have iPhone 7+ and the latest Fitbit app update plus
an update last night to the tracker has solved the problem for me.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Well I finally have mine working.  Thanks to @klez42 i decided to restart my phone again and this time I waited quite awhile before powering up.  Previously I had turned my phone off and then back on as soon as I could power it up.  Perhaps I didn't wait long enough...who knows... but I was able to start the GPS tracking after that.  THEN this morning I started the activity tracking and got the "Check your fitbit app" message again and lost the phone icon.  I took my iphone7 out of my pocket and it was in lock screen mode.  So I stopped the activity on my fitbit.  Opened my home screen and restarted the activity and it worked with no problems.  I just want to say FITBIT was of no help - the link they sent me to read takes you to an error 404 page not found.  Grateful for all the help here!

Best Answer
0 Votes

After 3 days of working again he refused to start up gps when starting “bike”

i have ios 11.0.1 and fitbit 2.41. 

After i updated to ios 11 i had strange behaviour of my iphone when i left wifi at home and  have to switch to mobile. The switch does not work always and you have no internet on the road. I found out you can switch on and off airplane mode, rather than switch on and of the phone, he picks up internet again. 

I tried this today also after gps refuse to start with fitbit. I switch of “bike” on my fitbit. (Bevause of no gps mode). Switch airplane mode on and off. Tried again “bike” mode on fitbit and gps works .... 😁

I think the airplane switch on off causes a reset somewhere in the iphone and fitbit app starts working again.  Same as you switch off and on the iphone. 

Best Answer
Airplane mode basically resets all connectivity. It turns off cell data, WiFi, and Bluetooth. There’s something strange going on in iOS 11 with Bluetooth connectivity specifically. I’ve even had my headphones drop and all of a sudden the music is playing out of my phone’s speaker.
Best Answer

I’m having exact same issues, have updated to latest ios11.0.2 updated fitbit to 2.41.1. Gone through all the fixes mentioned here, tweeted fitbit & Apple. Emailed fitbit, worked through their ‘fix’ worked once then back to this issue!!

i gather fitbit app is not the only one affected by ios11 issues, general concessus is that all 34bit apps are having similar functionality problems. 😡

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly same scenario here! No way to solve the problem also with latest version of the app. The only way I found is to reboot the iPhone, start the Fitbit app and the press the side button of my charge to start the activity tracking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same problem after updating my iPhone ie check Fitbit app even though Fitbit was synching and location was on for Fitbit as  “always”. I deleted the Fitbit app from my screen and then reinstalled it from the App Store and logged back in. Even though there’s a note that if you delete the app you will lose all data, don’t worry you won’t and gps works just fine now.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Have deleted the app but still not working for me unfortunately

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Have tried everything mentioned sometimes several times, also deleting and reinstall the app. It works sometimes for a short period but in the end it failed again. 

Fitbit or/and Apple will have to find a solution, it has nothing to do with the way we used the fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I think it is up to Fitbit rather than Apple. It’s the latest iOS 11 update that has caused the GPS problem but it is up to Fitbit to make sure their app works fully with it.

Fitbit say they are working on the problem but will not give a time scale of when they will fix it.

Not good enough in my book, I think they do not see it as a priority so they are not rushing to get it fixed. Too busy trying to sell the New Ionic, only hope the GPS works on those otherwise will look very bad on Fitbit. The mapping function is a priority for me though as I take groups of people on walks.

Make the most of each and every day, Suzanne Purtow
Best Answer
0 Votes

Pleas Fitbit guys, remove the "SOLVED" badge, you're lying, the issue is not solved at all!

Best Answer

It most definitely isn't! 

Best Answer

Their is nothing RESOLVED !!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've done the 3 IOS updates for version 11.  Each time I get something odd happening afterwards and it seems random stemming from a communication issue with the iphone to fitbit.  One day it did not record active minutes for hours up to about 6000+ steps then later in the day the minutes started counting ????   And it's worked fine since.  The communication with GPS seems random too.  Works for a couple days, then not at all for a day or two, then works again.  I've done all the fixes and hacks numerous times.  I think both fitbit and apple should be working on it since it appears to be a communication issue between the two devices.  

Best Answer
I have had no other problems just with the GPS not working

Make the most of each and every day, Suzanne Purtow
Best Answer
0 Votes

As well as the gps issue, mine is also randomly disconnecting itself from the app, so I keep getting ‘looking for device’ messages. Doing a soft reboot on the device seems to sort it, but I’m getting fed up with it happening sometimes several times a day!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have only had to reboot my phone once, this morning as it happens, as my app was not syncing properly. My main issue is the GPS and getting very frustrated with Fitbit for not fixing it.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, same here. Got everything tracking/mapping, etc. Upgraded to 11.03 Sunday, and first ride after it did not track/map. I did nothing before or after differently. Tried again today and it worked. Did nothing before or after except close the App and reopen it before. Really bizarre.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. Have been working with Fitbit support but they only suggested new tracker. I am convinced this is a software problem.

Getting frustrated because I'm trying to work on speedwork and no GPS isn't helping. I run pretty much the same route daily and sometimes it says check fitbit app and other times it says let's go then drops the GPS within a couple of seconds.

I really hope this is fixed soon because I'm considering just getting a garmin.

Best Answer
0 Votes