Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR Band Problems - Best Replacement Band

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi.  Like many others, I have had problems with the band breaking away from the device.  I've tried two replacements from Fitbit without any luck.

Has anyone found a third-party replacement band that doesn't break? I'd love a recommendation.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that's what I am planning to do.  I was hoping for a recommendation of a specific brand.

Thanks though

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
113 REPLIES 113

After 2 bands, I would start to question the integrity of the connection on the tracker.

Amazon has cheap replacements.

Best Answer

Yes, that's what I am planning to do.  I was hoping for a recommendation of a specific brand.

Thanks though

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did FitBit replace your band(s) or did you buy new ones? I'm having the breakaway problem too. I'm wondering if screw needs to be tightened but it looks like it's a "star" screw and not a "phillips". I'd need to find a tiny star screwdriver.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do Fitbit replace the bands?? Mine's less than 5 months old, I've never taken the band off and it now just comes away, rendering the device useless. Tried contacting them to ask, but no reply through this site.

Best Answer

Hi!

I’m having issues with my band so contacted Customer Support via chat earlier today and since my Alta HR is still under warranty, the replacement band has been shipped to me free of cost. I am sure once you get in touch with Fitbit Support, you’ll get a replacement yourself.

Alta HR, Retired Flex
Best Answer

I have hd trouble with each fit bit , but i have always had prompt emails back and good service , my replacement only in August last year ,has now stopped charging **ahem** annoying its my motivation, i was offered 50% any other but when i logged in it was to the value of $115....i payed more than that when i bought mine 

Best Answer

They have replied now, telling me I should wear it loosely, so my skin can breath!! Found that a bit insulting, but went back saying I've always worn it loose enough to get fingers from my other hand in between.  Just waiting to see their reply now. Thanks for your comment though.

Best Answer

Try contacting them via chat. I had to attach pictures of my faulty band and upon receiving the pictures, my replacement band order was placed free of charge for me. Let me know how it goes.

Alta HR, Retired Flex
Best Answer

From what I have experienced and observed regarding this issue is that the plastic latch system which allows the Fitbit device to connect to the band is fairly faulty. The plastic that connects the two objects (Fitbit and band) is a fairly flimsy and cheap plastic. Daily usage would erode the integrity of the plastic easily, either via taking the band off and putting it on again, causing the plastic latch to bend and distort very easily, or by sweat from the wearer which from my observations clearly begins to degrade the strength and durability of the plastic, or both.

We have two Fitbit Alta HRs - I have also bought additional bands for each and all the band's have had the same defect whereby the plastic connecting latch breaks and weakens very easily. It is a fault with the plastic they use. It is cheap and also found on cheap China copies on eBay. They are essentially the same  product. However these copies are $1-2. Fitbits markup on a new band is about 2000% on this. 

I would strongly recommend buying a few cheap copies or the bulk packs on Amazon simply because they are of the same quality and all of these will break however it will cost you less money than dealing with Fitbit.

Note: I think Fitbit is well aware of this issue since the band replacements are essentially sold out constantly in Asia and no stores ever have stock. They would need to be completely ignorant of their own stock and logistics if they were not and I do not think people are that stupid. 

I strongly believe they will not rectify this issue because it supplies them with intermediary income between product cycles - just like iPhone headphones, charges, etc. 

Especially when they would have these bands manufactured for less than $1, have them retail at a 2000% markup, and customers will be forced to buy one to two every year simply to use their product. 

Best Answer
Crikey, some company's sure done a number on you!
All I had to do was have a little more patience when I gave my first post, as Fitbit came back asking for a few more details. Then a photo of the damage, along with proof it was a genuine Fitbit strap, before sending a replacement by courier!! So within a matter of less than 1 week, my device is back on my wrist as good as new - without any additional cost to me.
Don't think a company trying to make additional money out of the need to continually replace parts would do that??
I work on Twitter messages in my role at work and our SLA is 15 minutes, Fitbit took a short time longer to answer my initial post, and so far that's my only criticism! But if I didn't know my employer's SLA, I wouldn't even see that as an issue!!
Ok, I accept, this is the same model of strap, so may go the same way in a few months, but I will contact Fitbit then and ask why, and what can be done. I will judge their actions then, but so far, I think their service is excellent.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
I had to do the same, guess I was just a bit impatient but had the replacement strap delivered and back wearing the Fitbit well within the week!! All with no additional cost!
Thanks for your comment though! S

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Yes they will replace your first band, which they did for me and I was satisfied; however, my replacement band just broke in the exact same way and they will not replace it since it is not covered under the initial warranty. Two bands broken in under two years. They are definitely poor quality and Fitbit is aware.

Best Answer

My second (replacement) band is starting to deteriorate after only 5 months of use. I just contacted FitBit today, so it remains to be seen what will happen. I may have to stock up on replacements as someone recommended-- the problem with the continual loosening of the strap is that the whole device can drop off my wrist as it did the first time. I was fortunate to have found it on the restaurant floor when it fell apart. Very annoying to have such bad quality on an expensive device.

Best Answer

After only three months that started to happen to mine too. One end would detach from the connection point for no apparent reason. I ended up losing mine because I kept wearing it and reattaching the band, thinking I wasn't attaching it properly.  I agree it's a design flaw and will happen again. I was offered a 25% discount on a new tracker but I think that is inadequate.  I'm moving on.

Best Answer

thanks! that's exactly what happened to me. Fitbit customer service was
good about replacing the worn out band, but sure enough, just last Thursday
it opened and dropped and it's gone... I am researching other options now,

-Pat

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

i bought a new band off the net its mesh and works well

Best Answer
0 Votes

I couldn’t agree more! I have had two strap replacements in the first year. Something is wrong with the design. Anyone have experience with the Versa or charge 3 straps? I know they are rather new...but i cant stand the aggravation of trying to replace bands on my Alta, so I am thinking about a different model...totally ruins the experience of owning this otherwise very satisfying product.

Best Answer

I've had same problem and, as the Fitbit was still under warranty, they are sending me a free replacement. Apparently, it's a common problem.

Best Answer

How do you contact Fitbit support?  I just get directed to these support communities!

Best Answer