Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long does it take to do 10,000 steps?

ANSWERED

I'm just setting up my bitfit for the first time. Just got it for my birthday tonight! Just curious how long it takes on average to get 10,000 steps in a day? I work out about 3 days a week but I run about 30 minutes and do weights. Just curious how much more I will need to do to fulfill the 10,000 steos.

Best Answer
127 REPLIES 127

If I just go out for a walk around the neighborhood or something, it takes me about an hour to get 10,000 steps. As far as normal activities go, if I work I can sometimes get my 10,000 steps in by the end of a 5.5 hour shift. If I don't hit the 10,000 steps in that shift, it usually just takes normal activities and maybe walking around a little bit more to get to 10,000.

Best Answer

I'm just now bumping my goal up to 15K.

I started playing Table Tennis (being coached and play 3x/week), walk the dog 2x/day (my subdivision circle is 1 mile once around, and I pick up the pace on housework.

I'm 57 and feel like I'm getting younger every day!  Food is the big factor here, though.  My hubby and I used to eat copious amounts of it.  Now I measure, log, and plan each day's food intake.

Is it a pain?  Some days, yes, but so worth it.  I've lost nearly 13, and he's lost 25 (since Christmas morning).

Best Answer

i'm right at 6 weeks, and it still seems to be working fine.  As I said before, I'm not really interested in gnat's butt detail, but rather a guide / gauge to increasing my activity level.

I hope it doesn't take that away.

Best Answer

the same for me. I work in a hospital, so I just walk around some in the evening to try to up the steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It takes me a couple hours of continuous walking to get in 10,000 steps. 

If m just hanging around the house it will take me all day to get them in.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm*

Best Answer
0 Votes
My typical time for 10,000 steps is 90", sometimes less. Health benefits
from walking depend in part on getting heart
rate up. Slow walks. intermittent walks, and all-day saunters will not do
it. Accordingly, shorter times for 10,000 steps
will yield greater health benefits. Once upon a time, as a jogger, I
brought my resting heart rate to 50 BPM. Now, 50
years later the range remains at 50-60 BPM. Average heart beat is 100,000
times/day; mine is lower due to slow heart
beat. Staying in motion all day may be OK but not enough to get an
exercise benefit.

Sleepy Bob
Best Answer
0 Votes

It takes me about an hour and a half to do 10,000 steps. With all the snow we have, I have been going to the mall and walking there for a slip free, warm, safe environment

Best Answer
0 Votes
Your mall steps will reduce your exposure to air pollution which may be
worse in your area due to use
of fire places and wood stoves

Sleepy Bob
Best Answer
0 Votes
Good to know. It's just too darn cold for outside walking for me at least as I do see people out there jogging ((shiver)).

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Everyone is different and has different walk and jog strides.  You will find out by your own experience how long it takes by the miles you walk that correspond with the steps you take.  I am petite/short so if I want to get 16 to 17,000 steps in that is about 7 miles for me.  Your Fitibt tracker/bracelet is key to tracking it for you.  It will keep you on point!  If by 1pm you have 5,000 steps and you want to get to 15,000 steps than you know you have to walk or march in place or keep walking for an hour or two.  If you haven't already figrued this out, good luck.  Please click on my profile pic and you can friend me if you'd like to buddy up and help support each other!

Barbara Rooney
Best Answer
0 Votes
There is no profile pic. I am new to fitbit and still learning. But it would be good to buddy up for support.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The first day I had it on, the vibrating buzz when I hit the 10k scared the crap out of me for a second! Till I realized what it was. Anyway - it varies, depending on how much you walk in a day...the first day, I was at work where I walk constantly and hit 10k by like 9 am. Yesterday, I was off work and spent a lot of time on the computer, paying bills, etc. and then sitting reading. Did not hit 10k until I was out training the dogs at 7pm. A couple of times I have not hit it at all, but mostly it is around lunchtime on a day at home, mid morning at work. That's just with normal activities; I don't have a regular exercise routine like walking or jogging daily. Everyone will differ...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just turned 60 and have lost 60lbs this year.  I still have 30 to go.  Exercise is one of my least favorite activities.  I need a buddy to encourage me and get on me when I need it.  My doctor recommended the fitbit to get me moving. 

Best Answer

It takes me about 2hours to hit 10.000 steps but i am at a grocey store nite shift lots of walking and pulling of pallets.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Usually when I play 18 holes of golf or the grandkids are visiting...watch for this thursday playing 27 holes ugh
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think your nearer to "speed walking" or jogging than actual walking in that time and distance

Best Answer
0 Votes
I work in a grocery store so there is just alot of walking but it takes me
about hour and a half
Best Answer
0 Votes
4.11 miles for me
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I dance around my loungeroom in the morning for 80 mins and obtain my 10,000 Abt 6 kilometers. Then I go to work and it takes me abt 4 hours to obtain the next 8 to 10 thousnad. It all depends on the activity.

Best Answer
0 Votes