Customizable Challenges (like start date, duration etc)

I would like to be able to set which days I want for a challenge. Not all of my friends work a workweek (Mon-Fri). I would like to be able to make a challenge thats like Thurs-Sun or Mon-Wed-Fri. Or whatever days my friends work during that week. Choose teams and partners.

Moderator edit: labels. 

1,256 Comments
thor0298
Base Runner

I also think more challenges will keep things interesting for longer.  A stairs challenge would be good.  The only other ones I could think of is distance or amount of activity minutes

cdntobi
Jogger

I would like to see more challenges available too.  I was wanting an active minute challenge.  But I love the idea of custom challenges.

Knowledge
Pace Setter

My wife and I love to compete with Fitbit. But the reality is my wife has a retail job and easily racks 15,000+ steps/day. I have a desk job and if I don't exercise I struggle with getting 4,000 steps/day and when I do work out even for several hours I can barely hit 10,000 steps/day.

Because of this the challenges don't really help us compete because I know I can't compete with her. I want my daily goal to remain as steps and I do not want to put it below 10,000 and so choosing the "Who Reaches their Goal First" challenge doesn't apply to me.

I want to be able to customize the challenges to best suit us. For example who reaches their daily calorie burn goal, or who best remains under their food plan/weight lost calorie deficit. Or maybe who loses the most weight in a week (or BodyFat % for those of us with an Aria scale). Or who climbs the most stairs in a day. These customizations will allow us to actually compete really well!

K2kraky
Jogger

I like this as well I'd also like to see may be a water competition drank the most water are the most percentage of the water that their body requires also a challenge that is percentage of body weight like they do on biggest loser cause someone who is quite a lot larger is going to lose at a faster pace to begin with then someone who is much smaller so bodyweight percentage challenge and body fat loss percentage challenge would be great

ejforster
First Steps

Please please pretty please introduce non step based challenges.

I have a competative side & a bad knee so long walks or running is not an option & coming last in all of the the challenges is doing some serious damage to my self esteem (or ego).

Please help me get higher up the leader board.

Cheers E 

Charmymay
Jogger

Would it be possible to lift the restriction of having only 10 people participating in a challenge?  I have several friends that would like to be part of our challenges, but depending on when they accept, the challenge may already be filled up.  In turn they would start a another challenge, but then we run into the issue of the 5 challenge limit.

suzyql8246
Jogger

Need more challenge types,  how about  stair climbing??

jessb417
Premium User
Runner
I would love to see activity calories burned challenges. I find that non-step based activities give me a better workout, but that makes it hard to compete in the challenges/leaderboard.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would also like longer time challenges. Month long and year long challenges would be very fun and motivating. Going back and forth for weeks with a friend you're tied with would be epic.

thor0298
Base Runner
I think maybe team challenges might be good too
CAGIRL
Tempo Runner
it would be nice to be able to have the option to be in more challenges.
stealth911
First Steps

I would really like to see cusomised challenges that could be managed from your community dashboard.

For instance, you could configure a quick challenge like :

x number of steps/floors by a certain time or day.

On any given day, the first to reach x steps / floors.

For office workers like me,  I think this would be great motivation as the whole day tasks tend to lose momentum once people have gone home for the day..

SLozefski
Jogger

I have only had my Fitbit for about a month, and already I am bored of doing the same 4 challenges over and over. How about adding some new ones, and some non-step related challenges:

1. Water Challenge - challenge your friends or yourself to drink your 64 ounces of water - could be just for one day, or every day for a week.

2. Weight loss challenge - this one would be over a period of time (month, couple of months) where you set a goal weight or a pund amount to lose and 

3. Increase your activity challenge - again, for one day, week or month, set a goal of doing a certain amount of activity (30 min a day, 3 hours a week, etc.)

4. A challenge (over a year, 6 months, etc.) where your steps are logged on virtual hiking trails (Appalachian, Pacifi Coast, up a mountain, etc.) and you can log in to view your progress

5. Food challenge - challenge yourself or someone else to log their food for a day, week or month

6. Virtual races - join a virtual 5K, 10K, 1 miler, etc. and be able to tell the app if you plan to run or walk it. It would be cool if someday you could set up a virtual race for a non-profit and fundraise through the app. Nike already does something like this. 

Also, it would be great to have the ability to start a challenge that anyone in the Fitbit community (not just your friends) can see and join through the app.

Moderator edit: Added labels 

Bauer24
Strider
The four basic challenges are getting really dull really fast. We need more of a variety of challenges. Like FLOOR challenges? Running challenges maybe?
techjunkie860
Recovery Runner
I agree I think also adding Active minutes, Stairs climbed... Basically all things that are tracked even sleep. In daily, weekly, and monthly challenges.
janyxe
Recovery Runner

I agree, it gets boring fast. I also think if they add a point system that goes with these achievements, that would motivate people in the long run, not just for a few months.

AeroEagle
Stepping Up

I would love to see more flexibility in the customization of challenges, and allow users to create their own challenges.  Challenges are the thing that most motivates me (and some of my friends), but in many cases we are at different fitness levels.  For example one friend is training for a marathon, while another is just starting out trying to meet a daily step goal of 10,000 steps, so the competition for steps doesn't work.  Here are some suggestions:

1) Allow a competition for highest percentage above your (fitbit calculated) average.  This means if you average 5000steps a day and hit 5500steps (110%) you would beat someone who had 16,000steps, on a 15,000step average (107%).  Great way to let those at different levels compete on a level playing field against all of their friends.

2) Allow custom challenge day/times.  Some times we might all be at a 3-4 day event, and we want to see who gets the most steps over the course of the event.  This customization would allow users to set the days, or hours that an event is active, customized to your group setting.

3) Allow other units other than just steps, such as: miles, floors, calories burned, etc.  While not everyone may have access to each category, the fitbit database knows what product you have, and would only allow you to be added/join if it can be measured.

There are many, many other ways to create a challenge.  The goal would be to have a "custom challenge" option, with every available feature as a selection.  Then once you set up your custom challenge, you must be able to save it, so you can use it over and over again.  Perhaps you have 5 different custom challenges for 5 different groups, etc.

whereisheather
First Steps
I agree! I have several groups of friends and not only is it limited to the first 10 users who accept but I am now only limited to 5 challenges. Currently I am in several workweek challenges but unable to accept weekend challenges until I am removed from a workweek challenge. The challenges are what keep me motivated with friendly competition.
Fitbit is really popular at my work and I have a few coworkers come up to me that are upset that they didn't make it in to the weekly challenge. As of right now, increasing the limit to 20 would be awesome
Staceypop
First Steps

Me and my friends using fitbit would like to be able to have more than 10 people in challenges, as well as being able to participate in more than 5 challenges please... Some of our friends are missing out because we cannot fit them in, and they make other challenges that we cannot join as we can only be in 5....please can this be changed?

Thanks Cat Happy 

HerbaChaz
Recovery Runner

More Than 10 Per Challenge

More Than 5 Challenges Per Person

Name Challenges

Custom Challenges, Set Your Own Challenge Targets

Name Your Challenge

In Challenge Put Country Flag So People Know If There Is A Timezone Difference

I'm the admin of Facebook groups
Fitbit Challenges UK and Global Fitbit Challenges

Moderator edit: Edited the title for clarity and formatting.

KevinjWells8
Recovery Runner

Great suggestion.

It would also be great if they tracked your challenge record as well. I would have a 20 - 1 overall record. 

becki
First Steps
it would be good to have challenges focused on distance or floors... Having long legs I'm at a disadvantage with steps..
BKTK
First Steps
Can you guys add more options to the competitive challenges? It would make it more fun and much more challenging than just steps.

Why not have checkboxes to let us choose which categories to include like:
- Distance Traveled ranking (not just steps)
- Ratio of Calories In to Calories Out ranking (not total calories)
- Calorie Deficit ranking (in minus out)
- Water Consumed ranking
- Stairs Climbed ranking
- Very Active Minutes ranking
- Long Term Weight Lost ranking
- Logged Exercise Minutes ranking

Thanks,
BKTK
YOYO79
First Steps

My coworkers, friends and I love fun competition.  We do the challenges each day to get us movin' and know we'd get to movin' even more if there were more challenge options.  Maybe the most active minutes or floors climbed to challenge ourselves even more. 

Also, I wish there was a way to see the same information online as on a smartphone app.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.