Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip Firmware Release Version 5.90

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 8/25/2018: This firmware release was completed last year and I'm closing this thread for further responses. If you are experiencing an issue with your Zip and are unable to find a thread that addresses the issue on the Flex board, please start a new thread. Thank you! 

Update 11/9/2017: We have continued to roll out this firmware for the Fitbit Zip, and expect more users will see it as available today. This is a progressive rollout, if you haven't seen it previously you should by the end of day today. 

We've begun to roll out new firmware for Zip. This is a progressive rollout, and all Zip users can expect to have it within a few days. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Click here to see our firmware release help article for more details on version 5.90.

Instructions for updating your tracker can be found here.

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
128 REPLIES 128

Same here... I’m still cautious but I checked for updates on my iPhone and it found one IOS11.1.1 I think - since this update my battery has been steadily showing full (2 days)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Today I got an email from support asking if there was anything else they could do for me - they haven't done anything for me!

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Had same problem - eventually set button on Windows 10 -  account/settings/advanced settings/ to force compatibility mode using dongle - this seems to work for me - hopefully a full solution will come soon!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I applied the 5.90 update and then immediately got a low battery warning. The battery was only a few days old. I put in a new battery anyway but I had problems almost from the off with the device resetting/crashing regularly and the clock displaying the wrong time after each reset. I have had to remove the Zip from my account and am now using an old Flex which my wife gave up to me after she got an Apple watch. Anything else I can try before I bin my Zip (which is out of warranty) ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The problem is being looked at by fitbit engineers probably to see if its the firmware.Updating your phone OS is another.This is for the two to communicate.Older phones can have a older bluetooth version.Thats why the updating the phone OS.The app for the phone also has to be updated.Thus by the time your finished,you will be sick of it all.Then their is the battery problems.When you buy them their not all the same.Shelf life of the battery is limited.Try and getting the longest exiry date as an indication to its shelf life.For me its straight to my laptop on windows 8.1 which uses their own website for my dashboard.Can't be playing around with that phone problem.Other bluetooth devices near by causing problems.This could take them awhile to fix.All the best.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit zip is doing the same thing. I updated software on the 11th. No syncing since. How can we fix this??

Best Answer
0 Votes
Could you provide more information on how/what you did?
Best Answer
0 Votes
After the update of the firmware 5.90 for the android phone.I decided not to go any further with that problem,but did resolve the zip being always on and not going to sleep.The new firmware by default had a new control that I disabled as I didn't won't my zip discharging by being always on.The step taken is via the cog or the bike style sprocket up the top right after logging in.AFTER THAT I Clicked settings-then clicked the zip device over the left side.This revealed an added setting not in the old firmware.It is called "Live Data".The battery problems that are being experienced and the zips power needs for bluetooth communication are thus compromised by the new firmware and any information by fitbits forum administrator can be found here---https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-HR/Having-trouble-syncing-here-s-how-to-fix-this/m-p/1301370/...

If your willing to go through all their recommendations on their fixes.At the moment I'm using the dashboard on a windows 8.1 pc,it basically just opens the web page.Windows 10 gets an installed program,no need for the internet.If you have an iphone,do a web search for the latest version app.Its one of the recommendations.Bluetooth can be a problem on which version your phone has.You'll have to make sure you have the latest operating system for it as well.I just use the usb dongle which is WiFi and don't need the bluetooth.I can't be sure that all my mucking around with it will help me right now.Their might be others out there with the end fixes,just haven't come across them as yet.All the best.
Best Answer
0 Votes

We have two Fitbit Zips that my son and I use. Both were flawless before the firmware update on Saturday. Since then, they will not sync with the app on an iPad, iPhone, Android phone, or PC with dongle. Resetting by removing the battery doesn't do anything. This is not a user error. I've been using my Fitbit for years. I know how it's supposed to work. The app still says there's an update available too, but it no longer sees my Fitbit and gives me useless tips about how to make it connect. The firmware update killed two Fitbits in our house. Grrr.

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone's Fitbit Zip works after getting (or attempting to get) the firmware 5.90 update.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

A firmware update for all things like TVs,pc motherboards and others can be a problem in the firmwares install process being at fault.You'll have a different result for different people.This of coarse is and can be the problem.I also just bought a second zip.My install process completed with no interruptions.One being that the phone is fully charged another is the zip has a full battery.A good connection when downloading the firmware.Thou again,the firmware might be the problem as others are experiencing different symptoms as a result of this update.Which is like a dirty install process on the firmware.In the end we'll be depending on the engineers at fitbits if thats the problem.All the best.

Best Answer
0 Votes
On my iPhone 6 - opened settings / general / software update. My version is now IOS 11.1.1

Hope that helps-my battery has remained green since then.

Graham
Best Answer
0 Votes

The problem I am having with my fit zip, since the update seems to be different from everyone elses? My battery was low so I changed it for a new one. This is when my update appeared. Since the update my fit zip becomes inactive and doesn't record my steps. I have tried another new battery to make sure the other wasn't faulty but the same happens. Can this be resolved? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had a good Internet connection and a full battery. Also, I tried to sync
using three different devices. And we had the same problem on my son's
Fitbit also. I think the problem is the firmware update itself.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a full battery and a good Internet connection. I also tried to sync from three separate devices with the same result. And my son's Fitbit had the same problem. I think in this case, the problem is the firmware update itself.

Best Answer
0 Votes

YooperJ wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone's Fitbit Zip works after getting (or attempting to get) the firmware 5.90 update.

My daughter & son-in-law (living in the same house as me) have had no problems with the update. My sister is still on 5.86 & I warned her not to update to 5.90 just in case!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes,the firmware is a thing that,in my early days,was not to be updated unless it resolved problems associated to a device.If their is no problem with your device,don't update.It's not like installing software of coarse.Keep 5.86 firmware.I had just bought a zip for the wife and was very interested in her using the mobile phone with it,but it would't communicate via bluetooth after it updated..Before the update on 5.86 it downloaded fine communicated via bluetooth with the zip,which on its very small screen,showed the download progressing.I was thinking,what a nice little gadget.Well all was not lost for me and am now using the webpage at fitbits on windows 8.1 for both our fitbits.I'm sorry for others who have had their Zip made completely useless or partially useless.Fitbits,being at the top of their game,Have released firmware update on a number of their devices and these have the odd problems too.All the best.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been reading papers tonight about the firmware update.Their certainly was a need for this update for security reasons.It involves bluetooth and the unauthorized disclosure of personal information.So as to Android operating systems some devices do not support this feature being bluetooth LE privacy.Now bluetooth 4.0 does support "Bluetooth low energy So what they have done to the firmware is quite possibly the reason why it effecting bluetooth syncing to various devices.They would hopefully address it and they would need to know which devices through the forum.All this must be a to do thing as various governing bodies in countries that stipulate a must fix.Other brands of tracker will be effect in the same way.All the best

Best Answer

An enormous amount of trouble could have been prevented by sending out a notification letting people know what was going on prior to the update, describing potential issues (make sure all operating systems are at latest version, etc.) and providing a step-by-step guide to installing the update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kevingaunt wrote:

I have been reading papers tonight about the firmware update.Their certainly was a need for this update for security reasons.It involves bluetooth and the unauthorized disclosure of personal information.So as to Android operating systems some devices do not support this feature being bluetooth LE privacy.Now bluetooth 4.0 does support "Bluetooth low energy So what they have done to the firmware is quite possibly the reason why it effecting bluetooth syncing to various devices.They would hopefully address it and they would need to know which devices through the forum.All this must be a to do thing as various governing bodies in countries that stipulate a must fix.Other brands of tracker will be effect in the same way.All the best

All valid points, and I totally understand the need for firmware updates for various reasons (not just on the Zip, but any other hardware like the things you mentioned in an earlier post). For many though (including myself), I'm not convinced that the sync/pairing issues are related to Bluetooth incompatibilities in our hardware or OS software.  My Zip would previously sync via Bluetooth with 3 different Android devices (one less than a year old, the others older), and via Bluetooth on an iPhone 6.  In addition, it would sync via Bluetooth with a Windows laptop, and via the FitBit sync dongle on a Windows desktop.  All of these devices are on the latest OS available at the time (for the older Android devices, they are on the latest OS versions they supported, but not the latest version of Android available).  Immediately after getting the update, NONE of these devices would sync anymore.  They all can communicate with the Zip, and pairing attempts through the Fitbit app will properly put the Zip into pairing mode (displaying the 4-digit code on its screen), but upon entering the 4-digit code, all of them give a similar error saying the Zip could not pair.  This includes the FitBit sync dongle.  While I believe the sync dongle is a BLE device, if FitBit pushed a firmware update that would render their own sync dongle obsolete, then I would hope and expect that consumers would be notified and have some sort of replacement issued.

Either way, I've moved on from the Zip, and anyone who is having trouble and wants a recommendation for a new device, I've been using a refurbed Garmin VivoFit 3 with an iBREK clip (so I don't have to wear it on my wrist) for over a week, and it seems just as accurate as the Zip, and is about the same size as the Zip (slightly taller, but not as wide - and it is WATERPROOF, which is a nice bonus).  I keep it in my pocket all day, and clip it on my waistband when I run.  I've done the same with the Zip during this time as well, just to be able to compare step counts, and at the end of the day, they end up within a couple hundred steps of each other.

IMG_20171115_081002 (1).jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

I believe that they have recoded the firmware BLE privacy as one.Second,A disabling feature for "Live Data" while you are roaming around as another.They have had troubles before this update in similar issues as well,with WiFi also entering the complaints.I've been looking at the forum as to their other devices and firmware for them that were being updated  too.The answer might be,is to get a simple tracker with no WiFi and no Bluetooth.Thus you would then enlist in a fitness website where you could enter your data.Naturally all this would not be good for any of the brands using the same communication in their devices.Why pay for something that wont work.Owners of their devices are having to sought out their problems on the forum.Emails for help/no help given,just automated replies.All the best.

Best Answer
0 Votes